Feedback about the forum

Started by guest2, December 01, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1 61126

Hi was just thinking there doesent seem to be a work bench thread it might be a good idea to start one as i would like to have a thread showing what im currently working on or could you tell me which thread to use instead
yours
B1 61126
Geoff

Newportnobby

Hi Geoff - there seems to be a liking for folks to post in the Kit/Scratch Building/Repaints under the subject of OMWB (on my work bench)

Hope this helps

Lawrence

Perhaps On My Workbench would be a better title for that section then Mick, had never though of it that way until Geoff mentioned it

daveg

Quote from: Lawrence on December 10, 2012, 10:17:25 PM
Perhaps On My Workbench would be a better title for that section then Mick, had never though of it that way until Geoff mentioned it

That's an idea but it could possibly become huge quite quickly. Would it be possible to have sub sections such as Buildings, Rolling stock, Locos. or something similar?

Dave G

Newportnobby

Short term problem this lunchtime with the forum while replying to a post.
404 error message at 12.39 - internal error or misconfiguration :(

Lawrence

Quote from: daveg on December 11, 2012, 07:09:27 AM
Quote from: Lawrence on December 10, 2012, 10:17:25 PM

That's an idea but it could possibly become huge quite quickly. Would it be possible to have sub sections such as Buildings, Rolling stock, Locos. or something similar?

Dave G

Like your thinking Dave  :thumbsup:

longbridge

Some brilliant ideas about more sections and subsections needed on the forum, the way things are going we may need Satellite Navigation to find our way round it.

With over 100 sections and subsections and a much larger membership its becoming impossible to keep up with what is going on with the forum, I know I miss some very interesting discussion's that are stashed away in some far off subsection.

I may be a lone voice on this subject but IMO the sections should be condensed not expanded, there is an old saying "Sometimes Less is More", think about it.

Just my 2 bobs worth again.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Pengi

Thank you for your suggestions about the forum layout - which we are giving serious consideration to. The forum has grown considerably (gosh - didn't realise we had over 100 sections and subsections) and we will need to keep the right balance between the ease of finding stuff and the number of boards/sub-boards.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

longbridge

Forgive me for I have sinned   :sorrysign: I just took a peek at a couple of other model railway forums and my head is still spinning and so are my flamin eyeballs, this forum is a soda to navigate compared to the two I just looked at  :claphappy:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

daveg

quote author=Pengy link=topic=9669.msg103157#msg103157 date=1355260054]
Thank you for your suggestions about the forum layout - which we are giving serious consideration to. The forum has grown considerably (gosh - didn't realise we had over 100 sections and subsections) and we will need to keep the right balance between the ease of finding stuff and the number of boards/sub-boards.
[/quote]

Endorse ORB's comments.

The email advice on topics being followed is brilliant. I always pop down to the most recent posts as a quick way to see what else is going on.

I know there's been recent work to place the search button in an easier to find place but maybe - sorry if this sounds like overkill/too much work -
a Go To Section option, that is using the current Main sections,(Click to go to) at the top of the page. The subsections could possibly stay as they are but it may help folk zoom into what they'd like to read or reply to.

Dave G

Pengi

Quote from: daveg on December 12, 2012, 07:33:37 AM

I know there's been recent work to place the search button in an easier to find place but maybe - sorry if this sounds like overkill/too much work -
a Go To Section option, that is using the current Main sections,(Click to go to) at the top of the page. The subsections could possibly stay as they are but it may help folk zoom into what they'd like to read or reply to.

Dave G
Just so I understand, do you mean that you'd like . . .

A drop-down on the top if each page that has the main sections listed and if you selected one of the options in the drop box it would take you to another section.

daveg

That's certainly one way.

The idea was perhaps a less 'busy' first screen and the user could choose to drill down from as you say, a drop down.

Does that make any sense?

I have no idea how much time and effort it work take so apologies if it's a daft idea.

Dave G

Pengi

Quote from: daveg on December 12, 2012, 09:11:37 AM
That's certainly one way.

The idea was perhaps a less 'busy' first screen and the user could choose to drill down from as you say, a drop down.

Does that make any sense?

I have no idea how much time and effort it work take so apologies if it's a daft idea.

Dave G
No idea is a daft idea. So do you mean having the main sections on the front screen with drop downs on each of the main sections. For example, there would be 'Your layout and models' with a drop-down to the rest of that section. Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I need to understand exactly.

Unless something is immediately do-able, we are gathering the suggestions and then will make a decision on what is possible/not possible with our resources.

daveg

That's it!  :thumbsup:

Not suggesting at all that it's a brilliant idea or that it should be done asap. Just a thought to reduce the amount of inital scrolling down to find whatever.

Thanks for listening. Somebody else says that, don't they?  :D

Dave G

longbridge

I also agree with that, for over a year now I have been scrolling down to the bottom of the page and reading/replying to threads, only when I have finished that do I look at some of the other sections, its lazy I guess but for me its the best way to navigate the forum.

Maybe a drop down menu or something at the top of the page with the "Latest Posts" listed in order would make the job easy and like Daveg said save all that scrolling, I check the forum half a dozen times a day so scrolling is like running a marathon  :D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations