Feedback about the forum

Started by guest2, December 01, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

I am a member of one other small British model railway forum other than this.

As a long time member and ex Mod I think this is by far the friendliest and most interesting forum on the www.

By nature I am a person that thinks a stock take of things every now and again is a good idea, I have never been a hoarder and dispose of things I don't need anymore.

I have spoken about this in the past and think it may be a good idea to check what forums sections are not being used regularly and maybe condense them into one section or delete them.

The amount of sections has grown very large and can sometimes be quite daunting to navigate, some sub sections could be condensed, eg  "N Gauge Loco's and Rolling Stock Reviews"  currently this is divided into 18 separate sections but would be a lot easier to navigate if it were divided into "British", "American" and "Continental".

There are other sections that are rarely used or broke into lots of sections that if condensed could make the forum easier for members to find their way around.

Just my two bobs worth.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

polo2k

Just accesing the forum for the first time on my phone (x10) . The first page to load was terrible, luckily I saw the "view full version" link

To reduce some of.the same questions coming up over and.again (and to avoid an entrance exam!) What about a guides section that we can all contribute to so that there is a definitive 'single location' for the info without all the same.topics coming back again and again.
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

kaiwhara

Well where do I start??

I have met (online at the very least) some extremely talanted, knowledgable, welcoming and genuine people on this forum. Being on the other side of the planet has been no barrier at all, people have been prepared to send items half way across the world, share their knowledge - even go on errands making videos for me without asking in the name of research! I have never experienced such generosity before!

In all blatent honesty, I wouldnt waste half the time I do on this forum if it wasn't worth my while doing so. Truley.

The forum is a very positive place, very little negativity happens here, there is little to no politics, people are free to just relax and be themselves. I have yet to see that on another forum either over in the UK or over here. The Staff do a fantastic job keeping things in order and I feel they are to be congratulated for their efforts.

To me, yes some things could always be improved, but I have nothing specific that concerns me. I don't use the whole forum (not for any particular reason, I just check certain sections regularly), but the areas and tasks I use work fine for me and are administered well.

I would be interested to hear other people's opinions though!

My Thoughts.

Andrew
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Newportnobby

Quote from: kaiwhara on December 02, 2012, 09:57:05 AM

To me, yes some things could always be improved, but I have nothing specific that concerns me.

Andrew

Thanks for the kind words, Andrew. If you think something could be improved that is exactly the feedback we are seeking. Feel free to elaborate please :thumbsup:

Illori

Quote from: Tank on December 01, 2012, 07:54:25 PM
Quote from: davieb on December 01, 2012, 07:44:03 PM
would it be possible to make it stand out a bit more, just like the "home" does  :hmmm:
as i feel it is easily missed in that long line of "words" at the top of the page

as sometimes i have to look twice to find it and i know where it is  :dunce:

dave  :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave.  I'll look into a solution to make it stand out.

the color of the search button has been changed slightly.

Donkey

Thanks Illori that stands out nice now  :thumbsup:

Marty

daveg

I echo Andrew's sentiments entirely.

Brilliant forum, managed with diplomacy and genuine interest in the members getting the maximum enjoyment from the hobby. All involved are to be congratulated on a well constructed site.  :claphappy:

I find my way around the site easily. The only bit I get muddled with is posting new images to my album and that's probably because sometimes I forget to switch the brain cell on first!  :dunce:

Dave G

scotsoft

Quote from: port perran on December 01, 2012, 08:17:59 PM
From time to time, I've thought about competitions (maybe just for fun).
What about a photographic competition - lots of scope. Perhaps "atmospheric" shots of our own layouts ?
We could all vote for winners.
Just an idea....!

Keep an eye out over the next few days  ;)

cheers John.

kaiwhara

Quote from: Illori on December 02, 2012, 05:42:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 01, 2012, 07:54:25 PM
Quote from: davieb on December 01, 2012, 07:44:03 PM
would it be possible to make it stand out a bit more, just like the "home" does  :hmmm:
as i feel it is easily missed in that long line of "words" at the top of the page

as sometimes i have to look twice to find it and i know where it is  :dunce:

dave  :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave.  I'll look into a solution to make it stand out.

the color of the search button has been changed slightly.

Out of interest, is it possible with this site to have the search bar perminantly displayed (or open a popup thingy on the page you are on- might need Javascript or similar) rather than having to click a link to a seperate page to search anything? Ive found this feature to be quite common elsewhere...
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Tank

We did have a search bar on the top of the forum at the beginning, but Illori found it difficult to place that and the advertisements together if I remember correctly.  I must admit, it would be useful to have it back.  I'll ask.

Thanks Oldrailbug, I'll look into your idea and condense the boards.

Polo2k -  I'd be happy for volunteers to create guides for everyone. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the other kind messages of support about the forum.

Illori

Quote from: Tank on December 02, 2012, 08:30:16 PM
We did have a search bar on the top of the forum at the beginning, but Illori found it difficult to place that and the advertisements together if I remember correctly.  I must admit, it would be useful to have it back.  I'll ask.

Thanks Oldrailbug, I'll look into your idea and condense the boards.

Polo2k -  I'd be happy for volunteers to create guides for everyone. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the other kind messages of support about the forum.

as far as i recall you were the one that asked for its removal, i can look into adding it back though.

[edit] it is back and i added the feature to search the whole forum/board/thread etc drop down.

OwL

Having been a moderator in the past of this Forum, I understand only too well what work goes into the day to day running of the site. No easy task I can tell you.

I think you have the balance of things right in general. I know we have the annual Christmas raffle, however it would be nice to see some extra prize winning competitions throughout the year. I know you are working on making the classifieds easier to use, so work in progress here.

The only thing I would change on this Forum is those two dodgy Flash so and so Global moderators you have (Lawrence and Newport Nobby) :P :P :P

Only joking :laugh: :laugh: :smiley-laughing:, keep up the good work everybody. :thankyousign:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Lawrence

You need to recheck the Staff list Dave  ;)

Newportnobby

:moony: :nerner:

Seriously though, as far as other competitions go we are looking at running some early in the New Year so be prepared y'all ;)

longbridge

Quote from: newportnobby on December 02, 2012, 09:12:24 PM
:moony: :nerner:

Seriously though, as far as other competitions go we are looking at running some early in the New Year so be prepared y'all ;)

Crikey Mike whats with the " y'all" what part of the Confederate South do you come from ???  :D :D :D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations