New Post Ratings Installed

Started by guest2, December 30, 2018, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Sort of, it was a catch all for "I acknowledge this post". See previous points about people hating change and an ability to please everyone!

Bob Tidbury

Dannyboy Yes I'm sorry I realise I was of topic but I do get so angry when the poor people who work in the background don't really get any thanks for their efforts ,we have had members on here complaining about the speed of the Forum and as I've said when Tank told us that he was changing to a new server it's NOT JUST FLICKING A SWITCH OR PRESSING A BUTTON on a control panel I don't know anything about that sort of work but I do know there is a lot of mental work is involved .
It is the same with my son allthough Gareth Southgate did actually say Thankyou to all the backroom staff and there are quite a few, he couldn't mention names due to various contracts etc .
But anyway  :thankyousign: again to all those working on the Forum and  :sorrysign: I have gone slightly of topic .I do apologise .
Bob Tidbury

Bob Tidbury

:thankyousign: njee20  That does make a bit of sense ,
I still think the  :thankyousign: is needed and the thumbs up or down and a help needed please  icon or whatever these things are called would be helpful especialy for those new to the hobby .
I think those are the main ones I personaly would use .
Bob Tidbury

njee20

Ooo, we get notifications in the tab header as well as the 'in site' ones too. Reet posh those.

Webbo

I have just finished having a look at the thread "Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?" and noticed that here was a dislike x1 at the end of Train Waiting's post. Being a sticky beak and without thinking that things are different from the simple Thank You rating tally, I clicked on the icon to find out who gave the negative rating. To my horror, the system added a dislike rating from me as well which is what it is supposed to do, but certainly not what I wanted. I clicked it again for some unknown reason and my dislike rating was undone.

I don't know if this facility for undoing a rating has already been described in this thread, but if not, it is a useful thing to know for those who are prone to act before thinking like I did.

Webbo

Claude Dreyfus

Bealman

I've always checked the thank you at the bottom of my post just to see who thanked me!

Must admit I'm having trouble with the new system.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

Very many thanks, Webbo.

In my 'Alerts' I have two from you - one disliking and, a few seconds later, one liking the post you mention.

To see who has rated a post, please try clicking on the 'List of Rates' part at the right-hand side of the various 'rating 'icons.  I have found that this works with my own posts and other members' posts as well.  If you wish to experiment with this, please feel free to use one of my posts.

[George, @Bealman  this might help you to see who has thanked you, please try clicking on the 'List of Rates' at the end of the relevant post.]

I'm a total twit with computers and discovered this by accident!

With regard to the dislike icon, there could be a benefit here.  I have accidentally caused a fellow member to dislike one of my posts which is embarrassing, but I know about it.

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Webbo

Thanks for your reply, John

Yes, I do understand that the List of Rates is where one should look to see who has posted what. My ham fisted response to the buttons has resulted in a bit of a mess that I thought I had got away with, but the system outsmarted me. The bottom line is that I thought your post was just fine though it was not a topic that I knew anything about. Sorry for the confusion.

Best wishes
Webbo

port perran

Am I being stupid here or have I missed something?
Probably both!
How do I now tell who has liked (or given thumbs up etc) for a reply ?
It's probably obvious but I can't seem to find it.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Train Waiting

Martin

Once a member has rated a post, I think the 'List of Rates' part of the 'Ratings Bar' becomes active.  Please try clicking on that.  I liked your post, so, hopefully, you will see that I have.

Apologies for my efforts at computer terminology - 'Ratings Bar' sounds like something from Portsmouth!

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

swisstrains

I'm sure that a lot of hard work has gone into creating this ratings system but ultimately I think it will turn out to be more trouble that it is worth.
If you have an opinion about a post that goes beyond saying "Thank-you" then voice that opinion and don't just press a button. Isn't discussion what a forum is supposed to be all about?
In my opinion this is yet another example of the modern World where something is done because it can be done and not because there is any real need for it.

nookfield

Can someone please tell me what the "Post Total" value is on the ratings bar.
I had thought it was just the total number ratings but this doesn't appear to be the case.

As can been seen in the attached screen print a total of 6 ratings have been made but the total shows 9.

This screen shot was taken from the post immediately above this one

emjaybee

Quote from: swisstrains on January 04, 2019, 10:00:41 AM
I'm sure that a lot of hard work has gone into creating this ratings system but ultimately I think it will turn out to be more trouble that it is worth.
If you have an opinion about a post that goes beyond saying "Thank-you" then voice that opinion and don't just press a button. Isn't discussion what a forum is supposed to be all about?
In my opinion this is yet another example of the modern World where something is done because it can be done and not because there is any real need for it.

I totally agree.

Thank you.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: nookfield on January 04, 2019, 10:13:45 AM
Can someone please tell me what the "Post Total" value is on the ratings bar.
I had thought it was just the total number ratings but this doesn't appear to be the case.

As can been seen in the attached screen print a total of 6 ratings have been made but the total shows 9.

This screen shot was taken from the post immediately above this one

Hi

I raised this issue in post 126

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23