Anti virus software

Started by TrevL, May 31, 2018, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevL

After reading through the Window 10 update shennangins in the "N Gauge Discussion " board  (why is it in there and not here???), the question of AV software has raised it's ugly head.
Now I'm a bit of a ludite, and am still happily using Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a paid for Bitdefender AV installed and have done for the last four years, with no problems at all.  However, this year I had the new 2018 edition installed and have had a few problems, worst of which is it won't allow me to use the "Is spam", "Add spammer" and "Spammers" buttoms any more in "outlook".
Now in the other thread, "Windows Defender" has had a few glowing reports, and was wondering if it is available for Window 7 users. If so, can I download it from somewhere?
If you answer, just remember my computer has thrombosis, well, it has a clot on the keyboad. TIA.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Malc

I'm not 100% sure, but Windows Defender is part of Windows 10 OS, so I suspect there is no stand alone version.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Dorsetmike

Win 7 pro here plus I've been using AVG free for over 10 years with no problems.  I use Firefox browser and Thunderbird for email.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Malc

@TrevL according to Wikipedia, Defender was shipped with Win 7, but not as all inclusive as the latest version.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

themadhippy

Its been there since at least vista, otherwise known as microsoft security essentials
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

njee20

Defender was called Microsoft Security Essentials with W7, it became Defender from W8 onward.

I'd use that over any paid for or other third party software every time.

austinbob

As a BT Customer I get McAfee Virus prog for free. I also use Malwarebytes and the two seem to work seamlessly together.
Never ever had a virus detected by McAfee but a number of dodgy websites and PUP's detected by Malwarebytes.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Trev

Windows Defender / Security Essentials is NOT an anti-virus programme, it mainly protects the system files and folders so I would certainly install a third party Anti-virus solution.

I've used the free version of Avast on my computers at home and work plus I put it on my 2 teenager's computers and my Mum's laptop all without problems.  The other free solutions such as AVG all do roughly the same as Avast so it's a matter of personal choice which you go for.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Mr Sprue

I can bet by posting this I run the risk of being verbally beaten up but here goes !

Since the XP days I got totally peed off how anti virus software slowed down my pc especially Mcafee and Norton ! All I just use is windows defender and CCleaner have done so for years and not encountered any problems at all.  But having said that I do carry out the occasional scan just to be on the safe side.

The one thing I would advise is to create a mirror image of your hard drive,especially on a fresh or new install that way if you were unfortunate to be infected and was forced to wipe your main drive at least you can rebuild it to when you made the back up.

But it has to be said there is much speculation that there are anti virus programs that create their own virus's to scare people using the 'free' versions so that they purchase the full version to remove the infections that these people put there in the first place!

The way I see the internet it sort of replicates the world we live in, meaning if you put yourself in dodgy places you can expect to get beaten up!

Last of all there is only one site I know of that has the best geeks for advice and fixes and that's bleepingcomputor.com

Hope that helps.

austinbob

I have the free BT version of McAfee and it makes no noticeable difference to my computers performance whether its running or not.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Windows 7 HP for me along with cheapest purchaseable Avast.
I don't even get offered little blue pills any more

Trev

Quote from: Lindi on May 31, 2018, 08:39:14 PM
Quote from: Trev on May 31, 2018, 08:19:59 PM
Windows Defender / Security Essentials is NOT an anti-virus programme

Yes it is. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/pc-security/windows-defender.aspx

I stand corrected Lindi.  It didn't use to be but having just researched it following your post, I agree with you and to be fair, it does seem to have won over many who in the past have described it as "just about enough"
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 31, 2018, 09:29:09 PM
Windows 7 HP for me along with cheapest purchaseable Avast.

:D :D

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 31, 2018, 09:29:09 PM

Get some Aspirin, some blue food colouring and practice your dry brushing techniques.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

Going back to the original topic, would the computer experts on the forum recommend that Windows Defender is enough protection these days? I currently use Malwarebytes Pro along with CCleaner - are they needed? I ask now as my yearly subscription to MB is due in a couple of days. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations