Microsloth again

Started by Dorsetmike, March 22, 2017, 04:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: Bealman on March 29, 2017, 01:50:19 PM
My laptop runs Vista  (yes, Vista! Never had an issue with it ), but Firefox informs me that of September this year, it will no longer support Vista.

Ah well, like so many other things in life, I'll worry about it when it happens.   :worried:
I've got the same problem with my wife's old desktop (or is that my old wife's desktop :hmmm:   ).
It won't support Explorer, Chrome and soon Firefox. In addition, Vista support is about to end.
The hardware is too old to run anything newer.
What it is to get old ....  Talking about computers, not me of course!!
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

:laughabovepost:

Yeah, nobody seems to have heard of the old saying "if it works, don't fix it" anymore.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: daffy on March 29, 2017, 12:13:50 PMso Microcrap users have a much better choice of derogatory nomenclature.
:jealous:

Microcrap? Really? How is that funny?! What am I missing?

emjaybee

Quote from: njee20 on March 29, 2017, 02:16:51 PM
Quote from: daffy on March 29, 2017, 12:13:50 PMso Microcrap users have a much better choice of derogatory nomenclature.

How is it not funny?

:firefox:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Sprintex

A sense of humour?

Seriously, please stop trying to enforce your own grammatical preferences on others, it's getting very tiring.

If people want to call it Microsloth, Microcrap, or anything else that doesn't fall fowl of the forum rules then they're quite at liberty to do so.

Paul

themadhippy

QuoteMany of the common programs that are used, such as Office (particularly Word and Excel and Outlook);.
QuoteOk there are other similar products that will run in Linux but they are not Microsoft compatible products
Rubbish,most linux distros come with libre office already installed, legally free of charge ,and  the files they  produce are compatible with most flavours of micro$oft office packages,unlike some versions of office which cant deal with file formats produced by a different version of there same software.Gimp is as good as photoshop,and a dam sight cheaper,lightroom,no idea but id bet money theres more than 1 decent free program out there.

QuoteUnless you run them under Wine which is just another bit of hassle
Hassle? once wines  installed any compatable doze software works  like any other piece of software,click on it and it runs,no hassle wot so ever

QuoteThe hardware is too old to run anything newer.
whats the hardware spec? my 9 year old ex vista machine  runs win 10 without any problems,or of course you could get the penguin on there.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

daffy

:hmmm:

It's so much funnier now. Thanks for your viewpoint.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

You prefer Linux - thats fine I respect your choice. I and 99 percent of computer users prefer Microsoft because it has world wide acceptance as have many of the standard programs that run on it. I have tried a number of versions of Linux and the Office clones and photo editors and find them unsatisfactory in many ways.
I have noted your opinions on Linux but I'll stick with Windows thanks.
Let's just agree to differ.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Dorsetmike

I tried Linux some years ago, but didn't stick with it after it classed my new OKI colour laser as being only good for a paper weight. It also would not run the photo editor I've been using since 1991 (updated to 2003 when Corel bought it and buried it having taken what bits they wanted) looked at Gimp, didn't fancy a new learning curve; it does all I need, not broke so why fix OK so I have to run it in XP mode but it runs.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

austinbob

Quote from: Dorsetmike on March 29, 2017, 04:11:49 PM
I tried Linux some years ago, but didn't stick with it after it classed my new OKI colour laser as being only good for a paper weight. It also would not run the photo editor I've been using since 1991 (updated to 2003 when Corel bought it and buried it having taken what bits they wanted) looked at Gimp, didn't fancy a new learning curve; it does all I need, not broke so why fix OK so I have to run it in XP mode but it runs.
You must be talking Corel Paintshop Pro (now up to version X9) note the X !!
I used to use older versions of that all the time and it was pretty much as good as Photoshop all those years ago. Gave up with Paintshop Pro a few years back and now occasionally use Photoshop Elements and mostly LightRoom. I've found that images from good modern digital cameras don't need a lot of editing (unless you want the piccies of your misses to look like a nubile teenager) and Lightroom suits me down to the ground.
Tried Gimp but - so difficult to get your head round it. It has its fans though and I've seen brilliant results from people who no how to use it.

Bob Austin

themadhippy

Quoteafter it classed my new OKI colour laser as being only good for a paper weight
Things like this were very common a few years back,mainly down to manufactures making there devices windows only compatible to save a few quid,thankfully those days are almost gone,although the intel/micro$oft cartel  still seem to be  trying there damndest to make life awkward for those who dont want to to run the latest version of doze on the latest hardware.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

red_death

Quote from: Sprintex on March 29, 2017, 02:32:02 PM
A sense of humour?

Seriously, please stop trying to enforce your own grammatical preferences on others, it's getting very tiring.

If people want to call it Microsloth, Microcrap, or anything else that doesn't fall fowl of the forum rules then they're quite at liberty to do so.

I don't see anything grammatical about it - it is just tiresome and frankly quite childish.

IIRC you removed a link to a Rage Against the Machine cover for its use of a swear word (despite being a widely played no 1 - think of the children  :o ), yet you seem happy to condone the use of crap or other thinly veiled swear words in this thread...

Dorsetmike

QuoteYou must be talking Corel Paintshop Pro (now up to version X9) note the X !!

No, Micrografx Picture Publisher, bought out by Corel in 2002, they contiued issuing V10 for a few months then buried it and used some of the bits  in Paintshop.

I started with the first colour version (V2) came with my first scanner in '91.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Sprintex

Quote from: red_death on March 29, 2017, 06:51:18 PM
IIRC you removed a link to a Rage Against the Machine cover for its use of a swear word (despite being a widely played no 1 - think of the children  :o ), yet you seem happy to condone the use of crap or other thinly veiled swear words in this thread...

'Crap' isn't a swear word, and I don't see any "thinly veiled swear words" in this thread either. People have in some cases used four asterisks without any hint as to the missing letters so that could be anything, and only if they HAD included some of the letters so as to point to a particular swear word would that have been against the forum rules.

And in another case the correct emoticon has been used so no problem.

Paul

austinbob

Quote from: Dorsetmike on March 29, 2017, 07:04:20 PM
QuoteYou must be talking Corel Paintshop Pro (now up to version X9) note the X !!

No, Micrografx Picture Publisher, bought out by Corel in 2002, they contiued issuing V10 for a few months then buried it and used some of the bits  in Paintshop.

I started with the first colour version (V2) came with my first scanner in '91.
Ah yes I remember now I used a number of versions of the Micrografx program and then In its Paintshop Pro guise I had few versions before I dumped it. Full of bugs I recall, but features were good in my opinion.

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations