Spam

Started by Tdm, August 03, 2014, 09:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

I must apologise if I have been slow in responding to people who have made replies to posts where I have asked a question of Forum members.

I have just discovered that all notifications headed "N Gauge Forum" have been re-directed into my Spam folder by Gmail which is the email service I use along with Incredimail.

I rarely open Gmail directly as by default I open Incredimail which is "wrapped" around Gmail and gives me lots of additional options such as "Advanced Account Access" which allows me to delete mail directly from the "Server" without ever downloading it for example as well as lots of other things.

Will have to find a way of telling Gmail that the "N Gauge Forum" is an acceptable mail sender, and not Spam; I wonder if other users of Gmail have had a similar problem?

Malc

Some providers will recognise that mail is not spam if you move it to the inbox. Not sure about gmail though.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Chris

Not had that issue specifically but sometimes when accessing the forum on my mobile I get a message that says the forum has detected my device as a spam-bot. I've noticed this since the mobile version of the site "disappeared" and my phone suddenly reverted to the full site.

Bealman

Not having any such probs with Yahoo on phone and must admit I use the full site on it too, I'm not too keen on the mobile version. Notifications come to Yahoo inbox OK here in Aus.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

trainsdownunder

Never had a problem with Gmail and the forum in all the time I have used it

Tdm

Well since I checked my Gmail Spam folder and moved what N Gauge Forum messages were currently in there to my In Box, I have had a flood of Forum "watched" and "reply" messages suddenly appear in my normal Incredimail Inbox.

Don't know why Gmail suddenly decided to put them in Spam (it didn't used to), maybe there is a certain word or phrase in some of them that triggers the Spam criteria, or some recent software update that was the cause.

You have to be very careful when you install new releases of software you currently use, as they invariably try and insert extra "Add ons" you don't want if you don't specify "Custom Install" rather than "Quick" or "Normal" install, and then with "Custom" install you "untick" all the extras it otherwise will include.

Some of them also try and change your Internet normal Start Page and Search Tool and Browser. 

Just out of interest what I use is the following (on my Toshiba Satellite i7 Laptop) :-

Internet Browser - Firefox
Search Engine - Google
Email - Incredimail "wrapped" round Gmail
Word Processing & Spreadsheets - LibreOffice
Tenerife Internet Service Provider (+ phone calls) - Direct Telecom
Picture Editors - MsDigital Imager, Picasa 3, Irfanview Pic Editor, Faststone Image Viewer
Video Editors - Sony Picture Motion Browser, AVS Video Editor
Regular Forums used - NGF, SOC (Stag Owners Club), Tenerife Forum, LibreOffice Forum.

Caz

Quote from: Chris on August 03, 2014, 09:54:25 AM
Not had that issue specifically but sometimes when accessing the forum on my mobile I get a message that says the forum has detected my device as a spam-bot. I've noticed this since the mobile version of the site "disappeared" and my phone suddenly reverted to the full site.

If you want to get back to the mobile version, on the front page, scroll right down to the bottom and just above the copyright N Gauge Forum bit there is the word "Mobile", click on it and it will take you back to the mobile site.   ;)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Quote from: Caz on August 03, 2014, 04:30:10 PM
Quote from: Chris on August 03, 2014, 09:54:25 AM

If you want to get back to the mobile version, on the front page, scroll right down to the bottom and just above the copyright N Gauge Forum bit there is the word "Mobile", click on it and it will take you back to the mobile site.   ;)

Always read the small print :goggleeyes:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations