Windows 10 lockups

Started by austinbob, January 02, 2016, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Some of the guys @ work were crowing about getting Windows phones instead of B/berry ... 3 months later, they're begging to swap back  :laugh:

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on January 03, 2016, 09:21:00 PM
Some of the guys @ work were crowing about getting Windows phones instead of B/berry ... 3 months later, they're begging to swap back  :laugh:
Mike.. My Lumia 930 is brilliant with Windows 8.1 - couldn't be happier with it. Just a bit nervous about the inevitable update to Windows phone 10.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

GWR-Kris

Quote from: austinbob on January 03, 2016, 09:24:38 PM
Mike.. My Lumia 930 is brilliant with Windows 8.1 - couldn't be happier with it. Just a bit nervous about the inevitable update to Windows phone 10.

I used to be the same about the update. I have not tried Win10 on a phone, but on the a Pc Its a very good cross between win7 and Win8 and if I'm honest I now prefer it.

austinbob

Quote from: GWR-Kris on January 03, 2016, 09:56:54 PM
Quote from: austinbob on January 03, 2016, 09:24:38 PM

I used to be the same about the update. I have not tried Win10 on a phone, but on the a Pc Its a very good cross between win7 and Win8 and if I'm honest I now prefer it.
I have to say I like Windows 10 but don't like the bugs and occasional crashes.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Steve.T

I had exactly the same experience after upgrading (and I use that word very loosely  :no:) to Windows 10.
At first all seemed fine except I didn't really see that anything was better than windows 8, just seemed to have been rearranged a bit.
But after a while my computer just totally froze with the cursor stuck in one position.
How often this happened seemed to be pure chance and some days I was luck and it never happened whilst others it could need over 10 restarts. The only way out was to hold the on / off button down for several seconds, ctrl alt del did nothing.
I did the revert back to windows 8 and still it happened.
In the end I put all my data I wanted to retain to a USB disc and did a reset to factory which put it back to as I bought the laptop with Windows 8. Since then it has been okay. So the revert back to windows 8 was not the same as a factory reset for definite.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Tdm

Don't know what other Applications it affected - but my email add-on provider "Incredimail"
has asked me to unistall Windows 10 update KB3132372, as it was this update that "buggered up" their software.

I have just uninstalled said update, and Incredimail is now working again. I use Incredimail "wrapped around" Gmail  for my electronic mail as it provides you with a lot more facilities than the standard Gmail, and I find it easier to use.

No doubt Incredimail have been in touch with the Windows 10 Update people, and I suspect there will be another update in a short while as I think it has affected other things as well - for example since the update I am frequently getting "Problem loading Page" when searching certain safe Internet Websites, but on "re-trying" it then comes up O.K. Seems to be some sort of timing problem which I never had before.

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on January 03, 2016, 11:16:13 AM
Quote from: MikeDunn on January 03, 2016, 10:48:02 AM
Quote from: austinbob on January 02, 2016, 08:43:56 PM
Windows 10 was installed when it first came out. No way back now except computer factory reset - I don't want to do that.
So get the "best" of both worlds - buy yourself a new disk & restore Win7 onto that ... OK, you still need to put all your apps etc onto it, but you retain the Win10 disk (and if you're sensible & buy a suitable caddy, you can use that to recover the data from).  This way, you can use either Win7 or Win10, depending on your mood ...
Too much like hard work I think Mike.
I've been investigating and found that I had about a dozen old drivers which could be replaced by newer (much) versions.
I've updated them all now so we'll see if that makes a difference to the crashes. However, it will be very difficult to know if things have improved. Sometimes the computer would crash several times a day and then no problem for a couple of weeks!!  :hmmm: :beers:
Well.. its 8 days since I updated the dozen or so drivers and I've had no hint of a lockup since. Fingers Crossed maybe the problem is solved - BUT WHO KNOWS!!!!.

Bob Austin

Tdm

Just become aware of another problem with Windows 10.
My local online Banking system will no longer load and freezes as soon as the home page appears. Have contacted the Bank (Solbank) about the problem but never got a reply so decided to persue the matter further myself as I totally rely on online Banking both here (with Solbank) and in the UK (with FirstDirect).

The FirstDirect system is still working fine by the way.

When I bought my latest Laptop, fortunately I kept the previous one with Windows 7 Professional on it, so I thought I would get it out and see if I could access Solbank on that
(using Firefox on both by the way).

No problems getting the online banking system of Solbank up and running with Windows 7 - so it must be a Windows 10 problem. Just sent another email to the Bank about it.

Wonder what the next problem will be?

iceboy

Just had a nightmare with Win10.
No printer..Software wouldn't work etc..the tipping point was login to the cloud permanently being displayed on the startup along with the edge popping up every ten minutes.
Finally went back to Windows 7 after having to do a fresh install because it wouldn't let me roll back.

MikeDunn

Nice to see a fresh conversion to the Grand Order of the Luddites  :D

Although us Founder Members weren't daft enough stupid enough idiotic enough convinced Win10 was a good idea in the first place  :P

austinbob

I had a number of problems with windows 10 lockups. I used Perfect disk updater to update my drivers several weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations