Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi

i know nothing about them...

which is the best train sim game???

how realistic is it???

tim

EtchedPixels

No idea on best but BVE4/OpenBVE is free which makes it a good start.

Quite honestly I find them tedious and boring - rather like a long drive 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

poliss

tadpole

Old fashioned as it may be, I still enjoy Microsoft train simulator (MSTS), with various uk and german add-ons.
Two rails good. Three better.

Fratton

There's railworks 2 which is a good starter platform, it is getting an upgrade on September 23rd and will be titled train simulator 2012, I bought the first one cause it was on special offer and have recieved two updates for free as they don't believe in bringing out a new version every year and charging their customers over again year in year out, slightly better than the trainz franchise but not too hardcore and has a ever-growing catalogue of routes and trains, carriages, waggons, not to mention the freeware makers out there.
Charlie.

bluedepot

yeh i've heard of this

is railworks 2 any good?

is it realistic driving, signalling etc?

is it any fun, or really boring?

i notice that the updates for new locos and routes cost a fair amount...

tim

Fratton

Yer the addons do cost a fair bit the quality is great, the realism varies you can just meander through
A route looking at it, signalling is realistic depending on your settings SPAD violations will end a scenario there's the driver alert system and such the new version should bring nice new features hopefully,

Plus remember once a year or so they have 75% off sales and that's when I get the stuff I kinda want but didn't wanna buy,,,,
Charlie.

Fratton

The new Brighton to London route has been released for Railworks, if anyone is put off by the price tag of £25 i have to say it's worth it the route is excellent and the scenarios are quite challenging if you want to stick to timetables religiously,

i took this screenshot while running Brighton - Victoria racing out of clapham and up the fly over toward the thames,

Charlie.

Pengi

I want one but I can't have one because I use a Mac.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Malc

Quote from: Pendy on June 08, 2012, 02:51:14 PM

Have you looked on the itunes store?  I did a quick search and found:-

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/trainz-simulator/id451933450?mt=12

Good luck

Malc
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

tim-pelican

Well, that's come down in price a bit... may be worth another look.

michael

Railworks is the one to go for. Im a mod on rw-trainsim.co.uk which has loads of free downloads for it!

EtchedPixels

Won't the Macintoy run OpenBVE ? it's not exactly top of the tree but its free and portable
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

zwilnik

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 08, 2012, 10:59:32 PM

Won't the Macintoy run OpenBVE ? it's not exactly top of the tree but its free and portable

I just had a quick look at OpenBVE and it looks like the original developer's stopped working on it and they're still working out what's going on. There is a download there but it requires Mono to be installed too, which is a bit of a faff and having to install other packages and libraries to make an app work on the Mac isn't really the way to do things. It is free though if you want a mess around.

I've had a go of TrainZ on the iPad and it does work pretty well. It even has an editor. The rolling stock seems a bit limited though. If the Mac version available from the App Store is the same but scaled up and with more stuff, it may just do the trick. Although I found actually running the trains on it was a bit dull compared to playing with my train set too :)

Pengi

I'll have a look at Trainz and see if they do London to Brighton/Portsmouth/Southampton.

I'll also have another look at PC emulators for the Mac. Have used Parallels but it had its issues and then I kept getting a message that my version of Windows 7 was not genuine (which it is). This was one of the reasons why I switched to Macs and swore never to have anything to do with Windows again.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations