2020 Tour de France

Started by Newportnobby, August 12, 2020, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuarted

I like Gary Imlach. A bit (well a lot actually) off topic but his book "My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes" is excellent.

LASteve

Here in the US we've got some good commentators on NBC - Phil Liggett still anchors the broadcast along with Bob Role who does a lot of the color commentary on the aerial shots (Bob took over from Paul Sherwen which was a touch act to follow). Christian Valverde is really excellent for the racer perspective. It's a shame this year that he's stuck in the studio in the US and therefore he can't ride the tough climbs before the Tour visits. How the hell he's got the breath to  talk through the climbs while he's on them is beyond me!

The Tour's been a lot of fun - my wife and I love it and we don't have a "UK" favorites perspective, we like riders all through the teams. We're both pleased that Peter Sagan has been given a run for his money; his reputation hasn't sat well with us even at the start of this Tour before the latest "incident". 

I do think Jumbo-Visma should do the decent thing and adopt a different color for the Tour though. I loved it when ONCE rocked up in their pink outfits a few years ago! We can cope with a Maillot Jaune and the Columbian National Champion, but throw Jumbo into the mix and it's impossible!

It reminded me of a football game years ago when Leeds were playing, I think, Coventry who were wearing all-yellow. You couldn't tell them apart on a B&W telly. On Match of the Day, I recall the commentator saying "... and for those of you watching in black and white, Coventry are the team in the all-yellow kit".

RailGooner

Quote from: TrevL on September 17, 2020, 07:34:24 AM
Afraid I can't watch Gary (monotone) Imlach, which is why I watch on Eurosport.  They have (Crazy) Carlton Kirby, who admittedly talks drivel, but none the less is entertaining, a bit lit like a latter day Murrey Walker, who also talked drivel and was entertaining. Each to his own I suppose.

Since the the passing of Paul Sherwen, I do now generally prefer Eurosport over ITV. For me the Grand Tours are as much about touring the regions of a country as the racing. But, Carlton Kirby is to cycling commentary as Peter Alliss is to golf - too prone to the occasional cringe inducing pre 80's unenlightened ramble. :doh: As a result, I can't watch a whole day of Eurosport.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations