Flying Scotsman, which way is best?

Started by 08 362, May 03, 2017, 08:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

08 362

Hello, I'm looking at getting Flying Scotsman for my collection. I want the current/mid-60s condition of BR green, late crest and smoke deflectors. Actually getting it though, is easier said than done as I'm sure is known around here.

Dapol released the condition I want a few years ago as part of a DCC starter set, it was an exclusive so it missed out in the latest release. Are they the same tooling?

Graham Farish also released FS in the correct condition, but it's rare on eBay and being older than the other locos in my collection may stand out. They also appear to have done a Heritage Range release of 2004 (LNER green but otherwise what I'm looking for) condition, I'm watching an auction for this.

The options I see are either: get the DCC version and remove the chip; get the Dapol Early Crest and acquire some Witte smoke deflectors to fix on, as well as late crests for the tender; commission someone to repaint the GF or Dapol 2004 condition 2S-011-005, the only version in the latest offering with the deflectors; or just live with the Farish one.

What would the collective intelligence of this forum suggest the most cost-effective option would be? Or is there another option I've missed?

RailGooner

:hellosign:
Hi 08 362, and welcome aboard. I'm not very knowledgeable re the prototype 4472 never mind models of it. But I don't think you'll be waiting long before a trainload of responses roll in.

JayM481

Because I'm not a keen one for repaint and re-cresting, I'd be inclined to go with the new Dapol offering in BR green late crest 2S-011-006 and fit smoke deflectors. I'm not sure if the older Dapol starter set (which I have) is different tooling from the current offering as I haven't bought one of the new ones yet.

Hattons has several of the Dapol late crest one above in stock at the moment.

08 362

Quote from: JayM481 on May 04, 2017, 03:13:02 AM
Because I'm not a keen one for repaint and re-cresting, I'd be inclined to go with the new Dapol offering in BR green late crest 2S-011-006 and fit smoke deflectors. I'm not sure if the older Dapol starter set (which I have) is different tooling from the current offering as I haven't bought one of the new ones yet.

I'd completely forgotten that Late Crest had been done, it would be dated just before the deflectors were installed. A quick search though showed getting  the deflectors FS's are based on isn't going to be easy. I'll send a message to DCC Supplies to see if they can supply Dapol spares.

I got a reply from Dapol, the DCC set one is indeed the same tooling. It's a shame it's out of production and rare on eBay. If it does show up though it would be my best option it seems.

JayM481

If you can't get spares, deflectors might be a scratchbuild candidate, or maybe a 3D print? The latter may be relatively costly for a one off though.

Aquaphant

I wanted exactly the same thing as you, albeit DCC. I went for Dapol's current late crest version of Flying Scotsman and managed to pick up a Dapol Flying Fox off of eBay for a fairly reasonable price, which came with smoke deflectors. I carefully removed these with a craft knife and initially fixed them to Flying Scotsman with tacky wax before more permanently setting them in place with evo-stick's contact adhesive. The only thing I still want to modify is to move the smokebox numberplate further down the smokebox to match her current appearance.

Les1952

An alternate route would be to pick up a secondhand Lemberg or Flying Fox on eBay or Hattons website etc, and get a corridoor tender top from DCC Supplies as a Dapol spare part.

The product code for the spare is 110660, though you may have to paint it.   Alternately there may be someone out there with a spare corridoor tender top.

In any case the corridoor tender on Scotsman isn't as modelled by Dapol.  The Farish corridoor tender is right for Scotsman, being one of the pair that were cut down in 1948 for the Locomotive exchanges in order to fit under SR platform water cranes.  Alan Pegler bought this (swapping Scotsman's non-corridoor tender it had when withdrawn.  I think the other loco involvedwas 60034 Lord Faringdon.

All the best
Les

bridgiesimon

What would the collective intelligence of this forum suggest the most cost-effective option would be? Or is there another option I've missed?
[/quote]

do not buy the real one, made lots of people bankrupt!

hehe, sorry not helpful but couldn't resist!

Simon

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations