Double reverse loop

Started by 1018509, August 18, 2013, 03:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just playing about with some spare track I have I've produced a double loop arrangement. Being a newbie and no electronics genius I looked on various web pages and have come to believe that with two ARM's and a decent length of track isolating them from each other is all that is necessary to make this work.

Now I don't believe things can be this simple so what am I overlooking?

Belated

Welcome to the Forum.  We are always happy to help and advise but in this instance I think we need a bit more information.  A picture or drawing of the track plan would help us understand what you mean.

John
:NGF:
John

That's there trouble there isn't a track plan.
Scroll to near the bottom of this link headed Reverse loops and the picture titled "This plan shows a double reverse loop!"
http://www.freewebs.com/platelayer/tipsandwiringdiagrams.htm
for a picture of something similar to my creation.

I only had the diagonal pinned down as it was/is flexitrack but am tempted to make it as it means you can get to run non stop in both directions with the loco always leading.

I Imagine there need to be three sections inside the diagonal straight all isolated from each other by at least a loco's length with the centre section powered from the DCC track supply and matching the original oval track's supply.

I'm still convinced I'm missing something as it seems too easy.

Smokebox

Quote from: 1018509 on August 18, 2013, 07:24:02 PM

I'm still convinced I'm missing something as it seems too easy.

I Imagine there need to be three sections inside the diagonal straight all isolated from each other by at least a loco's length

Needs to be longer than the longest train length not loco length unless all your unpowered rolling stack has plastic wheels, otherwise there could be problems as each coach/wagon wheel set passes over the rail breaks.

I think it can be done with one reverse loop module (RLM) if the longest train isn't so long that it can be in both reverse loop sections and the main feed section (the diagonal) at the same time. Use 8 insulated rail joiners to isolate the diagonal section and reverse loops and make this the main feed from the controller/command station

If the train is long enough to be in in both reverse loop sections and the main feed section at the same time then I think you would need two RLMs as shown

A.Carter (BiG-T)

Wiring aside am I missing something as looking at the track plan I cant see the point of it?
If you run an imaginary train around the loop once you have entered the reverse loop and changed direction the only way to re-enter to change direction again is to reverse into the loop...

Tony

Quote from: A.Carter on August 19, 2013, 08:08:11 PM
Wiring aside am I missing something as looking at the track plan I cant see the point of it?
If you run an imaginary train around the loop once you have entered the reverse loop and changed direction the only way to re-enter to change direction again is to reverse into the loop...

Tony

It was only intended as an illustration of the sort of loop I made.

My real interest lies in not modelling as such but looking at the more unusual items of n gauge trackwork.

I want to use a double slip electrofrog crossing as well at some stage. Not for any modelling purposes but because I can and hope to learn something on the way.

martink

Quote from: A.Carter on August 19, 2013, 08:08:11 PM

This basic track plan concept is often used with a terminus or through terminus station.  It gives you both a continuous run and an out-and-back, with no need for fiddle yard.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations