Cycle racing

Started by Newportnobby, June 09, 2019, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

To all you piddle cyclists out there just a reminder:

Criterium du Dauphiné starts today for 1 week

Tour de France starts 6th July and runs to 28th July (that's almost a month of my life accounted for, then)

PostModN66

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 09, 2019, 11:15:03 AM

Was wondering - then just got it - "pedal"!

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Newportnobby

Quote from: PostModN66 on June 09, 2019, 01:05:44 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on June 09, 2019, 11:15:03 AM

Was wondering - then just got it - "pedal"!

@PostModN66
Unashamedly nicked from Officer Crabtree (the policeman) in 'Allo 'Allo

Philip.

Bad news for any Chris Froome fans, [and Chris Froome  :o] suspected broken leg and out of Le Tour https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48612884

guest311

oh hell, the roads will be full of lycra clad idiots who think they are in the TdF, ignoring cycle lanes, traffic lights and anything else  :'(

RailGooner

Quote from: class37025 on June 12, 2019, 07:18:08 PM
oh hell, the roads will be full of lycra clad idiots who think they are in the TdF, ignoring cycle lanes, traffic lights and anything else  :'(

The roads(?)! That's the last place I expect to find cyclists. :D

PostModN66

Quote from: class37025 on June 12, 2019, 07:18:08 PM

If they get on your nerves, why not have a go at trying to kill them?

This often happens to me when I'm out in lycra.  Frequent methods are,  overtaking too close then pulling in sharply and braking, pulling out of side streets at the last minute ignoring cyclist, going straight onto roundabouts with giving way to cycling already on roundabouts, driving at high speed into groups of cyclist while sounding the horn etc.  You don't have to stick to these methods; be creative!!

If you miss, you can always shout abuse, and (only occasionally) flick lighted cigarette into cyclist's face.  :D

Seriously, there are idiots on bikes and in cars.   Although, I see more idiots in cars when I am on my bike than on bikes when I am in my car!!

All meant light-heartedly; but I guess I have one "near miss" per ride...

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Newportnobby

Owning cycles both pedal and motor I suffer from much of the above too :unimpressed:

Such a shame about Froome. Much of the interest in the TdF has gone for me now and we'll just have to wait for the 'glorious 5th' if he can make a full recovery :hmmm:
I will watch as I want to see how the new team does

The Q

CF was lucky in that he managed to crash next to an ambulance, early treatment = better recovery.

As for the Lycra mob, it really does annoy me that after a long campaign they built a million pound cycle path for them, near me, but do they use it NO they're on the roads. Similarly they invade the Norwich Distributer road (a 70mph Dual carriageway)when a fortune has been spent on cycle paths parallel to the NDR .

zwilnik

Quote from: The Q on June 13, 2019, 09:10:08 AM
As for the Lycra mob, it really does annoy me that after a long campaign they built a million pound cycle path for them, near me, but do they use it NO they're on the roads. Similarly they invade the Norwich Distributer road (a 70mph Dual carriageway)when a fortune has been spent on cycle paths parallel to the NDR .
I would imagine you'd be quite annoyed using a pedestrian path only to be constantly buzzed by marathon runners blasting past you. Cycle paths are for cycling (ie normal people getting A-B on their bikes), whereas the lycra brigade are cycle racing (or at least trying to be). It would be anti-social of them to be using cycle paths at speed.

it's been interesting to see the difference in how cyclists are viewed here in Spain vs the UK. There's a *lot* of racing cyclists in this part of the country (plus lots of fun mountain roads) but despite drivers here being somewhat vague on other aspects of the whole 'how to drive safely' concept, they're pretty solid about rule of treating a cyclist as another car in terms of the width they give them when overtaking and not getting too close behind while waiting.

TrevL

Quote from: PostModN66 on June 12, 2019, 08:15:46 PM
why not have a go at trying to kill them?

Unfortunately someone succeeded in doing just that to Chris Boardman's Mun very local to here.  He got sent down for 2 1/2 years plus 18 months ban, hope it runs conseecutively.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

guest311

it really is annoying when councils spend thousands of pounds to make cycle paths and the lyrca crowd don't use them, especially when it means less money to spend on repairing pot holes which damage cars, motorcycles etc.

perhaps cyclists should have to contribute, seeing as how they seem to get preference  >:D

Newportnobby

Generally the speed 'the lycra crowd' travel at would make them a danger to other cyclists on the cycle path, that and the sheer number of them that take over any space they travel upon. If they want to put themselves in danger by riding on our pot-holed roads rather than a decent cycle path then that's their prerogative/choice (witness big crash in the Ladies Tour yesterday) but I do wish they'd remember they do not own the road and should not travel anything up to six abreast when there's traffic queuing behind them :unimpressed:

LASteve

Way back in the day when I lived in London, I bought a bike to commute to work, primarily to lose some weight. I lived in West Hampstead, and worked in the City. It was so unusual to commute on a bike that every day, usually around Regent's Park on the Marylebone Road, I would pass another fella on a bike going in the other direction. We got to waving at each other every morning.

I only came a cropper twice, once in a rainstorm when a car pulled out in front of me and I went over his bonnet because my brakes didn't work very well in the wet, and another time when I ran into the back of a bus in similar conditions.

I did run a barrister over in High Holborn one day when he stepped off the curb without looking and I bowled him over, briefs and all. My first thought was "cr*p, I've run over a lawyer" but he jumped up and apologized - "all my fault, old chap, so sorry".

My most embarrassing moment was at the traffic lights at the bottom of Holborn near the Old Bailey. I was strapped into my pedals (the days before clip-in bindings) waiting at the red light, and I was holding myself upright with my hand on the roof of a black cab. I was daydreaming and didn't see the light go green. The cab pulled away, I toppled over sideways into the street and was basically stranded like a tortoise on its back until a kind person on the pavement saw my quandary and pulled me upright. The bus stuck waiting behind me gave me an ironic cheer.

The Q

Quote from: zwilnik on June 13, 2019, 09:54:55 AM
Quote from: The Q on June 13, 2019, 09:10:08 AM
I would imagine you'd be quite annoyed using a pedestrian path only to be constantly buzzed by marathon runners blasting past you. Cycle paths are for cycling (ie normal people getting A-B on their bikes), whereas the lycra brigade are cycle racing (or at least trying to be). It would be anti-social of them to be using cycle paths at speed.

it's been interesting to see the difference in how cyclists are viewed here in Spain vs the UK. There's a *lot* of racing cyclists in this part of the country (plus lots of fun mountain roads) but despite drivers here being somewhat vague on other aspects of the whole 'how to drive safely' concept, they're pretty solid about rule of treating a cyclist as another car in terms of the width they give them when overtaking and not getting too close behind while waiting.
Round here you see every day the mamils in Lycra head down ,helmet on cycling to work ignoring the facilities provided for them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations