Best way to store locos ?

Started by fastmoggy, July 13, 2019, 08:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastmoggy

Possibly an unusual question to ask? BUT........
When storing your locos in their boxes  over a period of time, say 3-4 months, Which would be the best way?
Either on their side or upright?

ntpntpntp

Mine go into hard cases in such a way that when the case is closed and flat on the shelf the locos are upright. This is how they spend most of their time when not in use.  When the case is lifted upright by the handle for transportation the boxes inside are then stacked with the lids uppermost as you would expect.   

Even though I never over-lubricate models I prefer to avoid any chance at all of any lube ever creeping out onto the body shell.  I've had 2nd hand locos where the box is badly contaminated with old oil and dirt.

I also find that storing them in that arrangement is easiest for identification too, as I produce a numbered label with a picture and slip it into the top side of the box.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

PLD

Not at all a silly question, and one we did about 6 months again in this thread

My Locos are kept in their original boxes stored upright.

The reason for storing upright is that from experience, locos stored upright are less prone to pickup issues than those stored on their side.
This is because of the lack of springiness of the brass used for Bachmann pickups and if the loco is left laying on it's side for a prolonged time it does distort resulting in bias to the side that is taking all the weight... The 03, 04 & 14 diesels seem to be particularly prone to this...

fastmoggy

Ahhhhh That would explain why my teddy bear wouldn't run well after a while!
All locos here now stacked upright now in bigger boxes. In the past in slightly smaller boxes  id stack 2 layers upright but the top layer would be on their sides so the lid would shut.   :o

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations