Computer/graphics card help

Started by Lawrence, January 14, 2012, 09:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Okay, at the risk of starting WW3 I am getting desperate, so here goes

I have an Acer Aspire X3200, about 3 years old, the Nvidia G100 graphics card keeps getting fried because the fan keeps failing and nobody can souce me a new fan.

So about 6 months ago I picked up an ASUS GeForce 210, put the card in (after swapping the back plates as I only have room for HDMI & DVI out at the back) and the PC would not boot, I put the old card back in and it has been ok for a while  ???

It has been playing up again, so assuming the ASUS card was duff I bought a Sapphire Radeon HD5450 (1Gb version) again changed the back plate, stuck it in and nada, same as before, PC wont boot, doesn't even enter POST.

Now I was pretty decent with PC hardware up to XP, but have gotten a bit behind the drag curve since W7 came out.  What the heck am I doing wrong?  So much for plug and play  :(

C'mon guys n gals dig me out of a hole here, please

guest373

I had planned to change a graphics card in an earlier pc, but never got around to it.  I remember that the first thing to do was to uninstall the current graphic card drivers.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Lawrence on January 14, 2012, 09:39:08 PM
I have an Acer Aspire X3200, about 3 years old, the Nvidia G100 graphics card keeps getting fried because the fan keeps failing and nobody can souce me a new fan.

Now I was pretty decent with PC hardware up to XP, but have gotten a bit behind the drag curve since W7 came out.  What the heck am I doing wrong?  So much for plug and play  :(

I would guess "running WIndows" 8) however if it's not POSTIng its rather more likely to be something else. My first guess would be power limits ? You should be able to source a G100 fan on ebay. They generally come attached to G100 cards going cheap ;)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

MikeDunn

What are your PCI-X slots ?  The last card you list requires an x16 slot (iirc) ...

Mike

Lawrence

Alan - I think the card is pretty fried now, doubt a new fan would help  ::)

Mike - according to everything I have read and found on the net, the PCI slot is x16

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Lawrence on January 15, 2012, 11:25:55 AM
Alan - I think the card is pretty fried now, doubt a new fan would help  ::)

As I said they come attached to a G100 - ie you can pick up the same card cheap on ebay quite often
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

GWR-Kris

you should be able to change graphics cards without it being and issue. as when a card fails like yours you wont be able to uninstall drivers etc. Now what sort of port are you pluggin it into. As all that springs to my mind is that its not compatible with your main board. If i remember for eg the AGP type slot there was different speeds available.

Sprintex

Err, shouldn't this thread have gone into the "Computer Help" forum?  ;)

Paul

Lawrence

Quote from: Sprintex on January 18, 2012, 10:05:04 AM
Err, shouldn't this thread have gone into the "Computer Help" forum?  ;)

Paul

You'd think a mod would know better  ::)

:-[ :-[

Sprintex

Even Mods are human, though some people seem to forget this fact when they get 'moderated' ;)

Paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations