Vallejo Sunshine Yellow

Started by kiwi1941, October 26, 2012, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwi1941

Can anyone suggest the best match for Network Rail Sunshine Yellow in the Vallejo [sp?] acrylic range? TIA, Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

scotsoft

When I did a search for that colour some of the pictures that came up made it look very similar to Union Pacific "Armor Yellow"  :hmmm:

However you can see from the photographs how the same colour differs, I assure you these are all the same colour when put side by side  ;)

cheers John.

upnick

Agree with John 

Vallejo    colour is either deep  yellow or Golden   yellow looking at the  colours online  if you do a search on google images Brian  ;)  not sure if  i   have either in my  range of their colours  if so  i'll  do  a paint  sample & post a picture of it.

edwin_m

Hard to tell from photos but I also think the UP yellow is a bit more golden than Network Rail's, and might be similar to the yellow used on modern cab ends in GB.  When I looked carefully at one of the NR locos a couple of years back, the yellow on the sides was a very slightly different shade from the ends.  Or have they since changed things by using the "end" colour all the way round? 

EtchedPixels

Quote from: edwin_m on October 27, 2012, 02:33:26 PM
Hard to tell from photos but I also think the UP yellow is a bit more golden than Network Rail's, and might be similar to the yellow used on modern cab ends in GB.  When I looked carefully at one of the NR locos a couple of years back, the yellow on the sides was a very slightly different shade from the ends.  Or have they since changed things by using the "end" colour all the way round?

They are different. Sunshine Yellow is al pantone yellow shade so you should be able to get a Pantone match for it. The yellow ends are a slightly different yellow as per the rules for having yellow ends and I believe are from a (to most intents obsolete) BSI standard.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

kiwi1941

Thanks for the info chaps.

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 27, 2012, 07:31:34 PM
They are different

I knew about the differing colours on the body and nose as seen here:

[smg id=2463]

Brian

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

kiwi1941

Quote from: kiwi1941 on October 26, 2012, 08:41:55 PMCan anyone suggest the best match for Network Rail Sunshine Yellow in the Vallejo acrylic range?

If I may be allowed to answer my own question, in case it's of help to anyone else!

I came across Vallejo Game Colour Sun Yellow Cat. No. 72.006 and here it is on a Peco van shown against a Farish Main Data Coach.

[smg id=2814]

Allowing for differences in camera/monitor, it looks a pretty good match to me and, with the addition of a few drops of diluent and another of retarder, it airbrushes well too.

HTH, Brian

EtchedPixels

Thanks. Could have done with that a few years back when trying to get the info out of network rail - whose HQ was so inept they couldn't tell me and ended up putting me through to the help line to report dangerous incidents

Doh...
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

AndyGif

http://www.paint4models.com/
i've heard this site is quite good for paint lookups.

edwin_m

EP may be referring to a time, only three or four years back, when the Group Standards were only available on CD for (no doubt) a largeish amount of money, and may even have been unavailable to private individuals.  In a rare outbreak of common sense, RSSB presumably decided there was nothing in them worth hiding and it probably cost more to administer the CDs than it earned in fees. 

upnick

AndyGif

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations