Revolution Offering Mk5 coaches

Started by njee20, February 11, 2019, 01:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven B

Quote from: njee20 on February 11, 2019, 03:17:02 PM
Accurascale are producing them.

Only in 4mm.

For a class 92 in N gauge you need to look at Revolution Trains or DJM.

njee20

Eh? We're talking about the mk5 coaches, which are being produced as a joint venture between Accurascale and Revolution, with the former producing the OO gauge ones and the latter the N gauge ones.

red_death

Just to be clear Accurascale are only producing the OO Mk5s.  We're sharing research and development, but we're producing the N gauge Mk5s.

Cheers, Mike

Ben A

Hello all,

Thanks for the great response!

We had intended to make this public at Model Rail Scotland, but apparently Model Rail in Peterborough had other ideas!

Anyway, feedback so far has been great.  We are really excited about these models as they're our first coaches and we have some clear ideas about what we - and we hope you - want!  Plus the scope is amazing from north to south and east to west!

One thing to clarify:  these are Revolution models. We are collaborating with our friends at Accurascale on the research, marketing, design, licencing etc as it makes sense to split those jobs and they are very much of the same mind as us in terms of quality, accuracy and how these products should be.

When it comes to the production it may be sensible to make them in the same factory as Accurascale, or it may not if we feel one of our other partner factories has a better handle on the specific needs and kinematics of N Gauge.

There are plenty of details on our website but here are some additional notes...

There are four Caledonian Sleeper vehicles.  We have illustrated two on our website - the Seated Car (SC) with the windows positioned lower and the Accessible Sleeper (ACC) - but we will also be offering the Club Car (CC):

And the standard Sleeper (SLC):

In terms of packaging, we haven't finalised exactly how it'll work but we are thinking along the lines of book sets of four vehicles each, to allow people to model just, say, the Fort William Sleeper (1 x SLC, 1 x ACC, 1 x CC and 1 X SC) or put them together to make the complete 16 coach Lowlander or Highlander trains.  The sets rotate around the two services, so the same coaches can be found in either.

For the TPE, I can't see any sense in offering anything other than maybe two or three complete 5-car book sets with different numbers, to model the complete train.  It's only 6 vehicles, including the locomotive, which will fit on most layouts.  I never really understood why Hornby split their Brighton Belle!

However, if there is strong demand for reduced sets then that's something we can look at.  Final decisions have not yet been made.

In terms of other parts of the specification... the coaches will have power pick up, factory fitted switchable lighting, functioning head and tail lamps where appropriate, detailed interiors and kinematic NEM couplers.  We may include  Scharfenberg type couplers for the inner cars.

We haven't opened the order book yet (and probably won't for a few weeks) so there is plenty of time to prepare.  The next step will be showing the CAD models, which should be in a month or so.

As ever, once we do open up the book the sooner people order the sooner we can get CAD models into tooling and onto your layouts!

Cheers

Ben A.

RailGooner

:claphappy: Hurrah! I don't need or want any! My bank manager can call off the hit. :whiteflag:

Though I do of course wish Ben, Mike, and Accurascale every success with this model. :beers:

leachsprite4

I don't need them or want them but so pleased the revolution are producing them as I am sure it will first class job on them.

Also another great example of development of the hobby by working with another supplier to have the licence for these across multiple scales.

Graham

njee20

Apologies, in my giddy over excitement I read the press release as Accurascale producing them (ie manufacturing), sorry for confusing things!

I agree that for TPE the 5-car set makes most sense, and 4-car booksets for the CS ones seems a versatile choice.

mika

Wonderful annoncement! :thankyousign:
I was hoping for someone to produce the Caledonian Sleeper coaches to accompany my 92. Even better that it's Revolution themselves.

Cheers
Michael

westie7

Not sure if I "need" these but will get some...

Now just need a conversion or detail kit created for a class 73, some one with etched facilities maybe

woodbury22uk

I read this news sitting in a Chiltern push-pull Mk 3. I have a soft spot for push-pull trains so a five set of the TPE ones will be on my list. When the class 92 arrives I will have two Caledonian sleeper liveried locos looking for some CS stock to haul.

RevolutioN Trains have ways of commandeering my spending money.   :)
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

kirky

I think I'll be buying a TPE set, after all they will be running through Northallerton as soon as the TPE services start.

And since Revolution and associated companies have decided to do this, wouldn't it just be lovely if they brought out a 185 to compliment the loco hauled TPE service?  @red_death @Ben A  .....  please.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Rabbitaway

Mk5s an excellent choice

Look forward to the Caledonia Sleepers

:thumbsup:

kirky

Quote from: Only Me on February 11, 2019, 09:50:40 PMquote author=Only Me link=topic=44414.msg553576#msg553576 date=1549921840]
I think a certain large company already has bought the rights for the 185...
Really?
Who?

Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Snowwolflair

Class 185, bucket of bolts :poop: quite the worst train I have been on since my unfortunate experience on a class 142.  :smackedface:

jpendle

Quote from: Only Me on February 11, 2019, 09:50:40 PM
Quote from: kirky on February 11, 2019, 09:09:44 PM
I think I'll be buying a TPE set, after all they will be running through Northallerton as soon as the TPE services start.

And since Revolution and associated companies have decided to do this, wouldn't it just be lovely if they brought out a 185 to compliment the loco hauled TPE service?  @red_death @Ben A  .....  please.

Cheers
Kirky

I think a certain large company already has bought the rights for the 185...

He is referring to the existing 4 car DMU's that TPE use. Not the IEP based Nova2, or Nova1 for which Hornby have rights, I forget which is which.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations