Points and motors

Started by m1racleman, March 05, 2011, 11:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m1racleman

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Dock Shunter for the bits he sent me. Better service than on ebay coz I got them this morning and will put them to good use.
The only problem I have is that the points are painted so now I will have tp paint all my track too Bugger it !!!!!!

cupoftea

Properly painted track looks so much better than track left shiny that you will not be sorry you did it. I was really surprised by how much better my track looked after I had painted the rails a nice dirty colour.

Lawrence

Glad you went with dirty rails cuppa, that's how they should be, so often you see "rust" coloured paint on mainline or yard tracks in models, and they look like they've been tango'd, in reality rail is dirty, only unused rail is rusty (but never orange  ::))

cupoftea

Quote from: Lawrence on March 05, 2011, 11:28:12 AM
Glad you went with dirty rails cuppa, that's how they should be, so often you see "rust" coloured paint on mainline or yard tracks in models, and they look like they've been tango'd, in reality rail is dirty, only unused rail is rusty (but never orange  ::))

I tried some 'rust' paint on a test section of track and to my eyes it looked wrong. The dirty effect is far more subtle and more pleasing to the eye in my opinion. I found the colour that worked best was an 'oily' grey with a wash of 'devlan mud' when the grey had dried.

m1racleman

that sounds very nice cuppa but I have a problem. I am colour blind so cant really see what it is like. Have you got a recipe for the oily grey that you used ? And is devlan mud a colour? if so where from??

point blank

Quote from: m1racleman on March 05, 2011, 12:56:10 PM
And is devlan mud a colour? if so where from??
It is a colour from Games Workshop.
www.games-workshop.com

cupoftea

Quote from: m1racleman on March 05, 2011, 12:56:10 PM
that sounds very nice cuppa but I have a problem. I am colour blind so cant really see what it is like. Have you got a recipe for the oily grey that you used ? And is devlan mud a colour? if so where from??

Hi Sir

The oily grey I mixed was a mixture of black and white (obviously!) mixed so that it produced a very dark grey. I then added a very small amount of brown and a tiny amount of light blue. Sorry I cannot be more precise but I did not measure the ratios. When it had set I very (emphasis on the very) lightly dry brushed with a dark brown and then gave a wash of Devlan Mud.

Devlan mud is a 'wash' sold by Games Workshop - I normally thin it down further - about 50-50 with acrylic thinners. Devlan Mud is one of the most useful washes for weathering most things - every paintbox should have a pot or two of the stuff!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations