J94

Started by Timofpenk, September 16, 2019, 10:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timofpenk

Good evening fellow N gaugers I have a thought I'd like to put out there and hear other people's thoughts on it. Since the recent demise of dj models I was thinking that farish used to produce a j94 and how popular would a revamped version of this model would be? How to scale was it? And how many people would be interested in as i can imagine a lot of the older models are becoming towards the end of their lives

Paul-H

I for one would like to see Farish do a revamped J94, along with a revamped Rebuilt Merchant Navy plus a resurrection of their 9F project (now that Dapol have stopped making them)

Sadly given how many years it takes them to make one model these days, and given their lack of production capacity or stock of their current Steam models, I doubt we will see any of them.

They do seem to be concentrating treating on Diesel/Electric and rolling stock these days.

Their new class C was  a long time coming and the 8F is taking even longer.

I can see Sonic, Revolution and even Hattons taking over from Farish as a N-Gauge Steam producer.

It's a problem with them being a tiny part of a much larger organisation, they and their customers come a long way down the list for production slots.

Having empty shelves in the wearhouse is good for the accountants but not good gor the accounts or customers, who still want to buy their products but can't because their limited production run has sold out.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Timofpenk

Hi Paul yes i see what your saying it's all about balancing the books and keeping the accountants happy what sparked my initial thought was the re-release of the G.W.R. Railcar by all accounts an old model would be nice to see something like the j94 or as you mention a few other older models making an appearance
Thanks. Tim

maridunian

Yes, a revamp would be good. Several of us have put quite a bit of effort into improving this very basic model:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30040.msg339962#msg339962

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=13246.msg133809#msg133809

I'm mostly interested in industrial railways and despair at the poor and declining selection of locos available. The second hand market offers 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 designs dating from the 70s and 80s (models not prototypes!). I decided to start  making my own, and briefly mulled designing new bodies for the old J94/08 chassis, but since I already have as many J94s as I need, haven't.

Follow the money. There's easier profit in adding DCC and sound to a biggish box with a simple mechanism in the latest livery...

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Paul-H

The new (Old) Railcar did have a slight update making it easier to convert to DCC, with space for a small decoder and attachment points for pickup wires and no longer needing the chassis milled to access the motor brush connectors, but other than that yes its still the old model.

Mind you having said that its the only one that will happily pull my CMX cleaning Wagon and everything else I own at the same time, so sometimes old is good.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Roy L S

I think the J94 (18 inch Austerity) is an absolute "no brainer" for some enterprising manufacturer now that the DJM land grab of the model is no more. The loco is good from 1940s to the present day preservation scene, there are a number of variants (e.g. high bunker, Giesel) and a massive choice of different livery variants.

Assuming DCC ready and suitably priced in the £90 bracket, I have no doubt it would be popular and sell very well, just as every other version in any scale has historically. If we take the old Farish one as an example, even that basic model was produced in many different liveries over the years.

As has been said, I too very much doubt Farish will reclaim it, but maybe it just might be a model someone like Sonic would look at in due course, given that RevolutioN have been open and honest enough to admit a lack of familiarity with steam so probably unlikely to be on their crowdfunding "to do" list.

Roy

Timofpenk

I wonder weather one of the existing chassis off say the 64xx panniers or the jinty would be compatible the j94? If so it would no doubt help lower the development costs

Dr Al

Quote from: Timofpenk on September 17, 2019, 02:03:38 PM
I wonder weather one of the existing chassis off say the 64xx panniers or the jinty would be compatible the j94? If so it would no doubt help lower the development costs

No, wheelbases are all wrong.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

icairns

In response to Timofpenk's original question, I have not compared it to a scale drawing but the original Graham Farish J-94 tank loco had several deficiencies when compared to current models.  These include:

1.   Rear cab porthole spectacle plates completely the wrong shape. 
2.   No reversing lever. 
3.   No centre steps (some prototype locos only). 
4.   No pipe work under the footplate near the front of the cab. 
5.   Moulded handrails. 
6.   Front window frames the wrong shape. 
7.   Silver connecting rods and wheel trims. 
8.   Non-see-through spoked wheels. 
9.   Not DCC ready. 

However, because the body is mostly diecast metal, it has good adhesion and my model (Poole made) is a good, smooth runner. 

I was very disappointed when I heard of the demise of DJ models along with their proposed upgraded J-94 loco. 

Even if DJ Models had survived, in my opinion it is unlikely that the N gauge J-94 would have made it into production.  I do not know the final figures but I know that at one point, Dave had received 112 expressions of interest (including one from me) but he needed 800 to proceed and he was obviously a long way from that target.  This information was included in one of DJ Models product updates. 

Therefore, if Bachmann are aware of this level of interest from N gauge modelers, it is unlikely that they would look at upgrading the old Farish model. 
Which is a great pity as the prototype had various WD/BR and industrial user options as well as the standard/extended bunker versions – all of which makes an interesting model. 

However, hope springs eternal!  (Well it has to doesn't it?).

Ian
Los Angeles

Bob G

I'm hoping Dapol will do the GWR Mogul, again a DJM proposed model that is often requested. They are developing it (and the 41xx/51xx/61xx large prairie, a former Farish model) in OO.

Bealman

I have two of the Poole Farish models. Both are still good runners, and are two of my favourite models.

They even have firebox effects!

(The motors spark like hell)  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Les1952

RT Models do a detailing etch for the Farish J94. 

This is the one on Hawthorn Dene, fitted with a decoder and a Geisl ejector.  Most of the upgrade etch I haven't used but the bit for the cab back made a real difference

On Farish doing a new version- they have already said a J72 is beyond them.  The J94 is shorter and being a saddletank has less space inside for all the gubbins they say is necessary than there is inside the side tank J72.

Just a thought.  Les

bluedepot

there are a lot of nice looking small industrial locos available in oo now i notice

i think the next development in n will be building on the ngs hunslet circuit board with integrated dcc decoder and stay alive

if it can be made small enough and proves reliable then it may lead to more small locos - including small industrial steam locos

running needs to be v smoth and reliable to encourage more people to go for n gauge industrial and shunting layouts without fear of a lot of hastle to achieve good running qualities

maybe bluetooth tech and automatic couplings will be another future development in n if it can be made small enough

tim

maridunian

Quote from: bluedepot on September 28, 2019, 10:14:56 AM
there are a lot of nice looking small industrial locos available in oo now i notice

i think the next development in n will be building on the ngs hunslet circuit board with integrated dcc decoder and stay alive

if it can be made small enough and proves reliable then it may lead to more small locos - including small industrial steam locos

running needs to be v smoth and reliable to encourage more people to go for n gauge industrial and shunting layouts without fear of a lot of hastle to achieve good running qualities

Hear, hear!

It's interesting to see that Hornby's little Ruston shunter is offered with a Conflat wagon to improve pickup:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/ruston-hornsby-ltd-r-h-48ds-0-4-0-no-269595-era-4.html

Shunting engines often towed a wagon around which (human) shunters rode on, carried tools, additional coal for steam engines, etc.

In the case of small diesels like the Class 03, it seems extending conductivity was an issue in 1:1 scale too!

http://www.djhweb.co.uk/matchwagon.php

Mike

My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Bob Tidbury

Stealing the thread but following on from the last post B H E are bringing out a 3D printed R&H 48ds  which will be as a static version but a powered version is under development as well ,the first prints were on the stand at T I N G S and we sold a few N Q P bodies .We are not sure when it will be available but it will be on the Facebook page as soon as we get it in production .
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations