GWR 4500 Tank Class

Started by TimR, December 19, 2018, 01:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimR

As per the title, I'm looking for a GWR 4500 class loco (probably three) if I can find them, does anyone or has anyone made these in N gauge?

If not what are my alternatives? if any.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

port perran

Quote from: TimR on December 19, 2018, 01:54:42 PM
As per the title, I'm looking for a GWR 4500 class loco (probably three) if I can find them, does anyone or has anyone made these in N gauge?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Hi Tim. Dapol produced these a while back(both sloping and straight tank varieities - both worked the Princetown branch). However, I think they are now sold out so it's down to buying second hand.
I have 3 of them - nice little locomotives.
Martin
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

TimR

Quote from: port perran on December 19, 2018, 02:46:37 PM
Quote from: TimR on December 19, 2018, 01:54:42 PM

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Tim
Hi Tim. Dapol produced these a while back(both sloping and straight tank varieities - both worked the Princetown branch). However, I think they are now sold out so it's down to buying second hand.
I have 3 of them - nice little locomotives.
Martin

Ahh thanks for that Martin, 2nd hand is fine and as you can see my research has started  :) it really is surprising what you can find when you actually start looking.

I suppose ebay should be my first port of call along with the outlets that keep used stock.

Thanks again.

railsquid

Here's a Dapol slope tank  (ND-060D):

Very nice little runner. I did worry it looked a bit overscale for the coaches (a Dapol "B set") but here's one running with a "D set" in real life and the cab roof does seem higher than the coaches: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbh2628.htm

port perran

And here's a straight tank example.
Again, a lovely little runner.

TimR

Quote from: railsquid on December 19, 2018, 03:18:44 PM
Here's a Dapol slope tank  (ND-060D):

Very nice little runner. I did worry it looked a bit overscale for the coaches (a Dapol "B set") but here's one running with a "D set" in real life and the cab roof does seem higher than the coaches: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbh2628.htm

Hi railsquid, that looks really nice, thank you for sharing, great looking colour scheme.

Snowwolflair

Be careful buying them second hand, they were a prime example of problem Dapol locos.  So much so they were redesigned resulting in some improvement but not a lot.

Buy from a second hand stand at a show or shop where you can see it tested.  There is a high probability an eBay one will be a bad one.

the main problem was wheel on axle slip and loosing quartering causing the valve gear to be trashed.

TimR

Quote from: port perran on December 19, 2018, 03:34:55 PM
And here's a straight tank example.
Again, a lovely little runner.

Thank you as well Martin, looks just as good in black, I have found a "mint" example on ebay so I expect to be spending some money very shortly  ;)

TimR

Quote from: Snowwolflair on December 19, 2018, 04:19:34 PM
Be careful buying them second hand, they were a prime example of problem Dapol locos.  So much so they were redesigned resulting in some improvement but not a lot.

Buy from a second hand stand at a show or shop where you can see it tested.  There is a high probability an eBay one will be a bad one.

the main problem was wheel on axle slip and loosing quartering causing the valve gear to be trashed.

Thanks for the heads up snowwolflair, I do have my eye on one at the moment that is described as mint, is there a fix for that particular problem?

railsquid

Hmm, I must have got lucky, based on my 2nd-hand sample of 1 bought via mail order, it's perfectly fine for a small N gauge kettle and purrs round my layout with nary a problem.  Mind you I must have a lucky touch, my Dapol 14xx is also one of the "good" ones.

Bob G

At least with EBay if it is not as described you can get your money back.
Hattons.co.uk also has a large stock of secondhand. The best ones seem to go very quickly.
KJB Models who advertise on here have always sold good locos at good prices, so look them up too.

HTH
Bob

ODRAILS

[/quote

Please provide more detail re: "they were redesigned". I wasn't aware of this.
By the way,  these model 45xx locos don't have any "valve gear", they have coupling rods and connecting rods.

port perran

Quote from: TimR on December 19, 2018, 04:25:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up snowwolflair, I do have my eye on one at the moment that is described as mint, is there a fix for that particular problem?
Good luck with your bid.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: TimR on December 19, 2018, 04:25:04 PM

That's why they redesigned the chassis.  Be very sparing with any use of oil, use a dry lubricant like Teflon that wont seep into the axles.

silly moo

I got one of the first models and it has been fine so far. I tested two and picked the best when I bought it from Osbourns years ago. As with all models I think it's a case of luck and careful handling.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations