Pre orders

Started by Newportnobby, July 30, 2016, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I have the following on pre order and have made some assumptions as to delivery dates as, at one stage, I thought they would all be here this year.

Definitely 2016
Farish Castle Sir Daniel Gooch
Farish 64xx pannier late crest
Farish Maroon Auto Trailer
Dapol class 33

2017????????
Dapol Battle of Britain 'Spitfire'
DJM Class 23 weathered
Revolution Trains Poppylino

Given I know of no announcements of future models of interest to me, and that any announcement these days seems to take 2,3 or more years to come to fruition, this suggests to me that my wallet will be taking a well deserved break for the entirety of 2018 as a minimum.
Although a "Good Thing", I don't believe I have been in this position for at least the last 5 years.
Is it the view manufacturers are still consolidating or have they maybe run out of ideas (hence Dapol asking for suggestions on their new social medium platform)?

helresa

I thought the revolution pendilino was due this year some time last I heard

Sprintex

Quote copied from the Pendolino thread:-

Quote from: Ben A on June 07, 2016, 04:07:07 PM
Although we are obviously nearing the end of the tunnel we can't say exactly when the models will arrive - assuming an even split between 9 and 11 car trains we are looking at manufacturing, painting, and assembling at least 10,000 separate cars and we have no idea how long this will take!

Given we are now at the end of July I'd say 2017 was a safer bet ;)

Paul

railsquid

Quote from: newportnobby on July 30, 2016, 10:32:09 PM
Given I know of no announcements of future models of interest to me
Is it the view manufacturers are still consolidating or have they maybe run out of ideas (hence Dapol asking for suggestions on their new social medium platform)?
Is it possible the manufacturers have run out of viable ideas specific to NPN's needs?

So, about that Class 33 which is due June or July... checks calendar impatiently...

Kris

The number of items I have on pre order has diminished over the past year but there are still some notable ones that are out standing, the Castle, 63xx mogul and BoB.
These will turn up when they turn up. My wallet is glad that recent announcements have contained nothing that I was interested in, but my heart would still have liked to have seen things that would have fitted my chosen location and era.

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on July 31, 2016, 02:25:53 AM

Is it possible the manufacturers have run out of viable ideas specific to NPN's needs?

Of course that is possible, although I do run transition era set in Oxfordshire so could run anything from the main 4 regions.
I just find it highly unusual to not have something far off to look forward to - not even any rolling stock (Lord knows when DJ Models weathered Mermaids will be available)

MJKERR

I don't believe in pre-orders
I can make that allocated money work better for me!

I started with quite a "war chest" for my layout, and it still has a substantial amount in it
Looks like the "interest" alone will pay for the Farish DBSO, when they eventually arrive

JRS747

I can't believe that they have run out of ideas, more likely run out of confidence. Look at the great 00 models that could be shrunk to N gauge, there are some super early steam models on the way in 00 but almost nothing pre grouping in N gauge - just the Terriers from Dapol and one 4F and one N class from Farish. Even big 4 steam locos seem to be on the way out as stocks sell out and are not replaced.
John
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool

Byegad

I'm waiting for a Valanced A4 due this July! Looks like they've missed that one then, even though Hattons upped the price by about a fiver last week, and a J72 due sometime!

Newportnobby

Quote from: newportnobby on July 30, 2016, 10:32:09 PM
I have the following on pre order and have made some assumptions as to delivery dates as, at one stage, I thought they would all be here this year.

Definitely 2016
Farish Castle Sir Daniel Gooch

Just goes to show how little I know as Farish have now confirmed the Castle won't be here until Feb 2017 - almost 4 years since it appeared in the 2013 catalogue. It also will be Sir Daniel Gooch instead of Totnes Castle as was in the catalogue.

red_death

Rapido's top man (Jason!) has postponed his holiday to head out to China to get the final sample of the Pendolino. Assuming that is all fine then production will begin almost immediately.  I'd be very surprised if anyone had to wait until July next year for a Pendolino!

Development has generally taken at least 2 years (I know some have been quicker) though in the past it wasn't as obvious as things weren't announced in advance - with more players on the market all looking at a dwindling number of potential models it is hardly surprising that manufacturers want to stake a claim (the market is not big enough to support duplication of most models).

I think from our experience the frustrating thing is that those of us at this end do our bit as quickly as possible but then get delays in the factory e.g. any tooling changes or paint corrections etc don't happen immediately as other work has been started whilst waiting for approval. Having said which frustrating though it is waiting it is better to get it right than to rush things through for a self-imposed timescale.

Cheers, Mike

Bob Tidbury

Hi Mike thanks for the update .So  what would be your  estimate of the delivery date for the Pendolinos if Jason approves of the the modification to the couplings .Will it be in time for Christmas or in time for my 70th Birthday in March ?
Bob

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on August 03, 2016, 10:26:33 PM
Hi Mike thanks for the update .So  what would be your  estimate of the delivery date for the Pendolinos if Jason approves of the the modification to the couplings .Will it be in time for Christmas or in time for my 70th Birthday in March ?
Bob

As long as its not by my 70th Bob.  :-X

Bob Tidbury

I very much doubt I'll be around for your 70th Snowwolflair ,but I hope to get my money's worth out of the  Pendolino before  I pop my clogs ,
if I go before it arrives will I get a refund Ha Ha Ha
Bob

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on August 03, 2016, 10:36:56 PM
I very much doubt I'll be around for your 70th Snowwolflair .
Bob

You will only be 83 young!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations