Changing default folders

Started by Dorsetmike, October 11, 2017, 01:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

I have a piece of software I use almost daily; on going to open or save a file first time it always goes to "My documents" which I never use, preferring to use folders not on C:\ drive (limited space on an SSD so I use partitions on a 2TB HD 1 for music, 1 for images, another for videos etc), so I go through the clicks to select the folder I want and do my opening or saving, as long as the programme is open subsequently any opening or saving goes to the previously selected folder.

Most software I use has options to define default directories; I've tried going into "documents and settings" and found the relevant part for the software and tried changing the defaults, however next time I use it it's back to "My documents" GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR; is there any known way to make permanent changes?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

ntpntpntp

Might help if you tell us which software and which version? Just saying "a piece of software"  really doesn't give us anything to go on, no opportunity for someone who has the same software to be able to chip in immediately and help?

Typically these sort of defaults are set under something like "Settings", "configuration" or "Properties" in the software itself.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Dorsetmike

The software is "Jigsaw2" by Tibo Software: as the title suggests it's concerned with Jigsaw puzzles, you can select any image on your PC and make a jigsaw which you can then "do" on screen, you can select number of pieces when generating the puzzle (from about 18 to 1200); you can send puzzles to friends or one forum I'm on sets a puzzle to download each week (where I got hooked in the first place).

I suspect the solution would be similar for most software  that doesn't already have the requisite options.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MalcolmInN

Not quite the solution you want but a possible alternative is to move "My Documents" onto your 2Tb drive so that any prog that insists on going to it will find itself shunted to that drive.

Depending on which Windows you have find Computer (sometimes My Computer)  either on your Desktop or via the Start Menu. Then Right click on "My Documents" (sometimes you need to go Computer > Libraries to the find My Documents then right click it )
In the pop-up, select Properties (usually at the bottom)  then find the tab "Location" and enter the path to where you want to park your "My Documents"  in the wee box provided (at the moment it will probably be something like C:\Users\YourName\Documents )

If it all goes pear shaped dont blame me and there is in that window a button to restore Defaults. I say that because it may not work if your 2Tb is on a USB port that changes its drive letter. But by the sound of your description I guess your 2Tb is permanently installed so the path should remain fixed ?

Does that sound any good ? you can even move all that is currently in it off your SSD as well ?

keithfre

You may have tried this already, but you can change a program's default directory by right-clicking its icon, opening Properties, then the Shortcut tab, and editing Start in. Of course whether that program will take any notice will depend on whether it accesses that particular environment variable...

Dorsetmike

"Start in"  surely refers to the drive the software runns in, not the default  folder for data storage. You need to go to the Details page of properties to find the "Folder path" entry and that is not editable; I need to find where that information is stored so that it can be edited.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Nick

I agree with Malcolm - if there's no option to change Jigsaw's default store, and you don't want documents stored on C: anyway, then move My Documents.

I haven't stored My Documents on C: for years, because it's too easy for modern documents and media to eat storage and also I can lose or reformat the system drive without touching my data.

The other option would seem to be to ask Tibo whether you've missed a setting somewhere. They have a Support page and a Contact form.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

keithfre

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 11, 2017, 04:47:24 PM
"Start in"  surely refers to the drive the software runns in, not the default  folder for data storage.
No, I don't think so, Mike: it's the default folder where the program looks for files. So it can be the default storage location if the program is set up to use that environment variable that way.

keithfre

Or you could change the default location for documents system-wide:
To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
    Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
    Click the Target tab.
    In the Target box, do one of the following:
        Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.
        If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: keithfre on October 11, 2017, 05:54:55 PM
Or you could change the default location for documents system-wide:
...which is what MalcomAL suggested back in post 3.   Feels a bit drastic, but on the other hand if Mike never uses the default My Documents location then could be the way to go.

I never store anything other than very temporary stuff in the local PC, everyone in the household knows to use our central network storage drive which is regularly backed up and a copy kept offsite "just in case".
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

ntpntpntp

I've just downloaded and had a quick play. 

As far as I can tell it remembers the last place you opened an image from and defaults to the same folder next time you start up and want to open an image.  By default the Export > Save As to create an executable puzzle seems to default to the location of the image you opened in the first place.

I tried this for images on my local drive and my network storage, and the behaviour was the same and as expected.

As has been suggested, perhaps the behaviour is different for anything considered a removable drive (eg. a USB device).

Dorsetmike

No problem once the programme has been opened and your desired folder(S) set, but close it and reopen and it's back to My docs.

I've not had any update notifications, suppose there's a chance you've downloaded an updated version, I'll have a look tomorrow see what version I have.

I don't want to use  "My documents" at all not even when moved and renamed; Windoze bungs everything in there unless you keep a very close eye on things else you can never find anything, I think it's one of the worst features of Windoze.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 11, 2017, 10:55:50 PMI don't want to use  "My documents" at all not even when moved
Fairynuff woz only a sugestion ! I had no idea how much you hated Windoze !

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 11, 2017, 10:55:50 PM
[My Documents] Windoze bungs everything in there unless you keep a very close eye on things else you can never find anything, I think it's one of the worst features of Windoze.
As an IT professional I would have to disagree with you on this.  You don't have to use it, but at least it encourages files to be grouped together so it's easy to find and back up all your user-created stuff. Just create sub-folders for different categories of docs.   

Before My Documents, different software often had it's own conventions for default folder names etc. and files would be sprayed all over the place.  It was even worse if you had multiple users of the computer.  At least My Documents maintains a separate location for each person so things aren't all muddled together.  You have Shared Documents as a location for files used by everyone.

njee20

Agreed! Create an appropriate folder hierarchy and just use My Documents, vastly better than scattering everything about! Move that off your SSD if space is a premium.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations