Class 411 CEP EMU - and all that it means

Started by Invicta Alec, January 13, 2017, 08:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invicta Alec

So gentlemen, in my first post under the "Introductions" section I mused about whether I could take up this hobby again after a thirty year break. The excuse of failing eyesight was immediately shot down in flames (thank you Nobby) but after such a long gap what could I remember?

I've spent dozens of hours already on this forum reading with varying degrees of understanding all aspects of the hobby (electrics has always been my nemesis).  Anyway I allowed myself to start having a look at some locos. Almost immediately I fell in love with a Class 411 CEP 4 car EMU. Introduced in 2011 by Farish its long since been discontinued. I became fixated on it. I halfheartedly looked at alternatives having checked stock of the 411 just about everywhere with no luck. Then I found a couple of BR green ones - BUT I wanted the blue/grey! Nothing else would do!

Then I phoned Jane's Trains in south west London. "Oh yes, we've got that one" she said "no problem".
"In blue/grey?" said I.
"Yes" she said.
"N gauge?" said I.
"Yes N".
"Are you sure?" said I (nearly wetting myself)    ;D
"Yes I'm very sure" she said patiently.
"Can you please send it to me chipped for DCC." (At that point I actually said "I don't care how much it costs!")

So I now await arrival of said 411 (along with some track/dcc controller/track cleaning thingy/some other bits she said I'd need/helpful catalogues/etc.

There are several good YouTube videos on the 411. What a beautiful looking model! Especially in the colours I wanted. Headcode 50 - translates to Victoria - Ramsgate via Chatham (my home town).

So that's it lads - I'm down the bottomless money pit like the rest of you. Hook line and sinker.

Alec.

Edit: how to upload pictures? I don't have any software that saves images as .pdf!

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Sprintex

port perran

Yep, you are now firmly hooked.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the 411 (not my era at all but it looks a very nice model indeed).
Hopefully, you'll discover how to post pictures by the time it arrives.
Looking forward to the layout build.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Invicta Alec on January 13, 2017, 08:34:05 PM

So that's it lads - I'm down the bottomless money pit like the rest of you. Hook line and sinker.

Alec.

Edit: how to upload pictures? I don't have any software that saves images as .pdf!

Welcome to the N gauge community proper. You are now a fully fledged member. :D
There are photo hosting sites such as Photobucket, Dropbox and FlickR and once you have uploaded your pics to one of them you can just provide a link in a post.
As an alternative you could click on 'File' > 'Export' and see if you get an option to save a photo as a Jpeg :hmmm:

Invicta Alec

Thanks Paul. sussed it. Upload to gallery first then copy BB code right!?

I tried just to add picture as an attachment to the post. Trying to do it that way gives the error message..." must be in pdf format only".

Alec.

scruff

Excellent photo Alec...  :greatpicturessign:

I think you've prodded me to think about one of these.. to go with the Dapol 33... :'(

Cheers
Mark

Invicta Alec

Quote from: scruff on January 13, 2017, 09:32:28 PM
Excellent photo Alec...  :greatpicturessign:

I think you've prodded me to think about one of these.. to go with the Dapol 33... :'(

Cheers
Mark

Just been looking at the Dapol 33 on eBay.......Ooooooooh nice!  :)

Would look great running side by side I reckon.

Alec.

Bob G

And you will soon want a second hand Dapol 73/0 and/or 73/1 in blue too, and an 08 shunter in blue.

Plenty of Farish Mk 1 blue/grey coaches for the boat train to Folkestone, too.

Then when we have you totally reliant on your fix, you will have to wait impatiently for the next southern (loco) release.

Another lost soul wandering the net looking for southern stuff...  :thumbsup:

And then you discover brass overlays and resin cab ends....

Bob

nick_bastable

robert shrives

Hi welcome aboard !
Yes 3rd rail adds to it all !
Well in 00 Bachmann have adverstised the BEP so hopefully this will get shrunk at some time ( do not hold breath asyou will go blue ! ) but it is good to live in hope. 
The 33 is a lovely model and it has been suggested to Dapol to do a South Eastern Division 33/0 but since all reasonably travelled then the new 33/0 or 33/1 in blue fully up there as must haves !

Have fun and may all your trains run on time!
Robert 

GrahamB

Looks like someone else has caught the Southern Electric bug.

I've got two 4 CEPs in green - both dcc sound/
Then I bought one in green with a yellow warning panel - dc only at the moment but I have another sound chip.
I've also got a blue/grey Brighton Belle - dcc chipped.

I just need a controller, and a layout, and a 33 or two, plus a 73 or two, then an 08. I feel a divorce coming on. :worried:
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Invicta Alec

Quote from: nick_bastable on January 13, 2017, 11:29:56 PM
but you do need the 3rd rail

Nick

At some point Nick, yes! How did you achieve it?

Alec.

nick_bastable

Alec

as you may have guessed my track is 2mm standard, the 3rd rail is soldered to Duchess Pins every 5 to 6 sleepers with the aid of a simple jig, track is easitrac rail is 40 thou

I also know 2mm modelers who use easitrac chairs with 40 thou rail to achieve a similar effect trimming the chair to a more square shape

If I recall some others use cut down insulated fishplates with suitable rail

there are active clubs in both Folkestone and Canterbury,  indeed its the Canterbury show next weekend  21/22

Nick

GrahamB

I'll be at the Canterbury show next Sunday. Keep an eye open for a Tonbridge MRC sweatshirt (Warning, there could be a few).
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

nick_bastable

I will be there both days on the speak it softly 2mm area group display  :D

drop by and say hello 2mm modelers don't bite

Nick

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations