what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

Not working on the layout today I'm busy building Another Pug for Ray nearly finished just glued the extra pickup wires to the wagon chassis last night so it should be dry this morning .
Then if Val goes out I have another project to start.
Nothing to do on  the layout itself that I can think of at the moment.
Looking forward to the huge show at the Great Central Railway in a weeks time I hope to meet some more members there I will be on the stand all three days if I can stand the heat.
It's held in two really huge marquees and also in the station buildings , entry includes travel on the trains so well worth a visit.
See you there .
Bob

Bealman

Quote from: railsquid on June 09, 2016, 08:27:00 AM
Quote from: Bealman on June 09, 2016, 03:13:35 AM
Very good work, but it wouldn't fool me. That's a deserted house, mate. Up the downpipe at the left and over onto the balcony. Easy pickings!

What you don't see is the ninja hiding on the balcony.

Quote from: Bealman on June 09, 2016, 03:13:35 AMActually, that could make a cool little cameo.... a blue stobe flashing on the side of the house and a siren going.

As long as you could switch the thing off, though... the things are always going off around where I live. False alarms, I'm sure.
Burglar (and car) alarms: pretty much unknown in Japan.
Aahh... the Ninja!  :laughabovepost: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

angr607

What am I doing? Testing/Playing with both controllers checking everything works! Still not decided what I'm doing re scenics though........

Cheers,

Jon

Newportnobby

What a good idea!
I think I'll just go and make some controller checks :D

Cooper

Over the last few days and with the help of @PostModN66 I've installed a shuttle unit on Horseblock Lane to give some flexibility when operating at exhibitions. We still need to mod the signal so this changes too. I've also had to change the mains lead on my controller as it had been intermittently cutting out when the wire was moved. I've additionally wired in an LED strip of lights under the layout to illuminate the stock area underneath the layout. I've even tidied up some of the wiring underneath too. Everyone one of these jobs hasn't gone straightforwardly given my wiring abilities, and required a lot of assistance from PostModN66! Just about to test the controller. Fingers crossed!  :goggleeyes:

PostModN66

Quote from: Cooper on June 13, 2016, 03:46:19 PM
Over the last few days and with the help of @PostModN66 I've installed a shuttle unit on Horseblock Lane to give some flexibility when operating at exhibitions. We still need to mod the signal so this changes too. I've also had to change the mains lead on my controller as it had been intermittently cutting out when the wire was moved. I've additionally wired in an LED strip of lights under the layout to illuminate the stock area underneath the layout. I've even tidied up some of the wiring underneath too. Everyone one of these jobs hasn't gone straightforwardly given my wiring abilities, and required a lot of assistance from PostModN66! Just about to test the controller. Fingers crossed!  :goggleeyes:

Stick with it Neal!!   And by the way; found the block bell!!

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

GeeBee

Slowly getting the scenery started one corner almost complete photos will follow but at the moment I am running in 4 locos and chipping my Class 153 and Class 52 so I will have to check that the track is OK by running some trains it's a hard life here
:P

Cooper

Quote from: PostModN66 on June 13, 2016, 03:52:53 PM

Stick with it Neal!!   And by the way; found the block bell!!

Cheers  Jon  :)

Well at least it didn't all go bang! Thanks for finding the bell btw....

Newportnobby

Over the last few days and with the help of PostModN66 I've installed a shuttle unit on Horseblock Lane to give some flexibility when operating at exhibitions

Is this a home built unit or a bought one please? @Cooper

PostModN66

Quote from: newportnobby on June 13, 2016, 08:07:55 PM
Over the last few days and with the help of PostModN66 I've installed a shuttle unit on Horseblock Lane to give some flexibility when operating at exhibitions

Is this a home built unit or a bought one please? @Cooper

It's the Gaugemaster one Mick.  It seems to work quite well; at least my example (that I bought from Tank a while ago) does; Neal's seems to have a fault.

The start is fairly smooth; I am guessing that the voltage rises reasonably slowly, but the stop is rather abrupt.  I am wondering about whether we could use a capacitor for a primitive type of soft stop.

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

mickster04

I describe these as quick wins, look good when completed and don't take too much effort, just enough to make it worth while and satisfying

MinZaPint

Well continuing at a snails pace I have finally completed the wire and tube point installation (makes it sound more like a proper job!) now on with the wiring and isolation sections, using Dinosaur Control and insulfrogs.

Not sure whether to blame the curries or Caz's tip for track cleaning re the grain silos!  ;D
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Newportnobby

Have you/are you wiring the frogs for polarity changing, David, or do you think you can get away without doing so?

MinZaPint

Quote from: newportnobby on July 05, 2016, 01:12:10 PM
Have you/are you wiring the frogs for polarity changing, David, or do you think you can get away without doing so?

I haven't done so far and all seems to be working fine, I have been testing as I go along (playing trains really!)  Cheers David

MinZaPint

Well finally got the turntable fixed and wired up, turning will be HandDraulic! isolating sections have all been wired and switches positioned.

progress of sorts, one way of working up a thirst!  :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations