what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

What am I doing on the layout right now?
Not a thing  :no:. Since I returned to regular posting on this forum I have been having such fun here that the layout has become very neglected! :'(
I just don't know what to do next, go and run a few trains, build a bit more scenery or spend time on the forum........ decisions, decisions. :hmmm: :confused2:
I think I'll just go to bed instead. :sleep:
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Dorsetmike

Got the track down and loosely pinned, going to try some power see if there's anything really horrible lurking before I start chucking ballast around.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

daveg

Working on the basic scenics for the Eddingford board.

Lots of styrene foam and use of the hot wire cutter - thanks Webbo!

Dave G

Tdm

I am not particularly practically minded - but I have been busy making a switch panel for the track so I can switch different sections on and off when required. Need some more toggle switches yet which will then be wired up, and the wooden base has been made to fit on a current rack that houses a Vesta twin track controller and 2 electric point switch racks.

Caz

After much soul searching (and feeling guilty), I'm trying to work out how to add an MPD to Claywell, got a couple of ideas but need to have a look around to see how they operated in the 50's and early 60's, only need a couple of roads and perhaps a refuelling point I think.

More info here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6570.msg308681#new
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Portpatrick

This weekend I started building an LMS 42ft CCT kit - from Ultima in its current manifestation.  Framework done.  Now to paint it then apply the printed sides.

after that I have 3 Thompson non corr coaches to build - they ran on the Killin and Ballachulish branches.

Then an LMS 1000 diesel - purchased the other week off E bay.

That lot will keep me quiet for ages.  And that is without planning a second layout to supplement Portpatrick Town - but this time of near contemporary ambience to run my fleet of Scottish DMUs.

zwilnik

Having just moved and had to chop Ivebridge in half to enable its move to the new house (it was designed to be chopped) I've been to IKEA to get a bunch of their Kallax units to use as a new base for it and under layout storage.

sparky

Now all the ballast is finished,all the stock is off the layout except a double headed 56 with CMXN cleaner giving all the loops and sidings a good clean....will have backscene boards fitted in in next week or so I hope before starting my first scenic hill !

D1042 Western Princess

>:( :veryangry:  :censored:

What am I doing on my layout right now? I think the above will give you a clue but if not how about  :censored: :veryangry: :veryangry: !!!

OK, enough of the rant - here's the beef!
For various reasons, not least building scenery (and being on the NGF  :)) I haven't had a chance to run a train for a couple of weeks. The last time I did everything worked well  :) and so, after a quick track clean, you'd expect it to tonight but -  :no:
Oh, the trains run very well on plain track but stall at the points! I make sure they are pushed over to make a good contact, I clean them thoroughly, I do just about everything I can think of and still the locos stall! :censored: :veryangry:
Why does it always seem to happen to me???  :'(
I'm thinking of ripping out the layout and returning to a simple, points free, main line - so much more reliable!  :)

daveg

Sympathies WP!

I have yet to put the many points down that I need/want and not looking forward to it that much. WiT kit ordered from DCC Supplies who are just a few miles up the road from me.

Currently battling to make a decent join to a piece of flexi with a 15" radius curve in the centre of it. I shall overcome :veryangry:.

Dave G

Tdm

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 12, 2015, 10:30:46 PM
What am I doing on my layout right now? I think the above will give you a clue but if not how about  :censored: :veryangry: :veryangry: !!!
For various reasons, not least building scenery (and being on the NGF  :)) I haven't had a chance to run a train for a couple of weeks. The last time I did everything worked well  :) and so, after a quick track clean, you'd expect it to tonight but -  :no:
Oh, the trains run very well on plain track but stall at the points! I make sure they are pushed over to make a good contact, I clean them thoroughly, I do just about everything I can think of and still the locos stall! :censored: :veryangry:
I'm thinking of ripping out the layout and returning to a simple, points free, main line - so much more reliable!  :)

Points have always been my bug bear (is that how you say & spell it) as well.
Where possible I have now swapped Peco code 80 Setrack points for Streamline code 80 ones and have had less trouble but still occasional problems.
Have also added exra track power connections here and there each side of points.
My points are all insulfrog ones by the way on my DC layout. 
Post #2076 in this Thread shows the switch panel I have made for the extra power connections.

Newportnobby

You missed one, Greg............................ :veryangry2:

Would I be correct in thinking your points are Peco and, if so, what type please?
Mine are all code 55 electros and the sooner I get round to fitting switches for polarity changing the better ::)

sparky

With my layout being garage based (complete with dust and general grime that comes from nowhere) I use all electrofrog code 55 points with point motors..I think its 51 in total and is the best thing I have done as point blades no longer need cleaning !...so happily playing trains at the moment to keep to this thread

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Tdm on June 13, 2015, 09:34:04 AM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 12, 2015, 10:30:46 PM

Points have always been my bug bear (is that how you say & spell it) as well.
Where possible I have now swapped Peco code 80 Setrack points for Streamline code 80 ones and have had less trouble but still occasional problems.
Have also added exra track power connections here and there each side of points.
My points are all insulfrog ones by the way on my DC layout. 
Post #2076 in this Thread shows the switch panel I have made for the extra power connections.

All my track, with a couple of short 4th radius Settrack lengths on tight bends, is Code 55 Peco. 

Newportnobby

There's a strangely awesome amount of crud that accumulates between the stock rails and switch rails so every now and then I pass a rounded needle file between the rails and follow up with a pipe cleaner wetted with.........you guessed it...............IPA.
It seems to do the trick - until the next time.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations