what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

:confused2:  Wondering where do I go from here? :confused1:
I do not enjoy scenic work but with everything else pretty much complete this is the next step.
As ever it's where my layouts usually grind to a halt :'(
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

paulprice

I use to think it was a bit like Sunday dinners as a child, when you realise there is a big pile of "GREENS" to get through.............Be brave and plod on.........

That reminds me I will have to put the Christmas sprouts on to boil

daveg

Quote from: paulprice on May 31, 2015, 10:00:38 AM
I use to think it was a bit like Sunday dinners as a child, when you realise there is a big pile of "GREENS" to get through.............Be brave and plod on.........

Next week Paul! NEXT week!  :wave:

Dave G

Newportnobby

:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing:

D1042 Western Princess

Mum always told me I'd never grow tall if I didn't eat my greens. At 6'3" I do wonder just how tall I'd have been now IF I had! :hmmm:

Getting back to topic I love planning, I adore operating, can cope with the tracklaying - but the rest is, to me, BORING :sleep:
My ideal would be a large lottery win so I could have the layout built for me and then just 'play trains' all day! :claphappy:
Sadly when the National Lottery say 'It could be you' they never seem to mean 'It could be me' :'(

steve836

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: steve836 on May 31, 2015, 10:46:16 AM
I love the scenicing bit! :P

I suppose that's where model railway clubs and societies 'score' over lone builders. Everyone does what they enjoy and the work progresses quickly.

steve836

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on May 31, 2015, 10:53:21 AM
Quote from: steve836 on May 31, 2015, 10:46:16 AM
I love the scenicing bit! :P

I suppose that's where model railway clubs and societies 'score' over lone builders. Everyone does what they enjoy and the work progresses quickly.

True, but it's no fun having to rely on a club layout and not have one of your own, plus if, like me , you live out in the sticks clubs are difficult.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Roy L S

What am I doing?

Well yesterday after many months I finally sorted my office/modelling room out and re-erected Whitrope Siding.

I then spent a fun afternoon remembering which locos I had chipped and what their addresses were!

A tiny bit of damage to the backscene but all is now running fine...

Roy

railsquid

Here's some pictures for you... Finally got a delivery of spherical tuits and managed to rearrange things to put the new Ivar shelving in place, which involved rearranging the railway room office, which was a bit like playing Tetris but fortuitously I worked out a better way of using the space and fitting more layout in. I can even keep my work-bench without it looking too crowded.

Anyway after much consideration I worked out it would make sense to use the Ivar shelving for the "countryside" terminus as it will make a nice semi-self-contained project before embarking on the main section, which will continue to evolve. To be honest it won't be much more than a decorated fiddle yard, but from the "there's a prototype for everything" department a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a station not too far away from Chez Railsquid which lends credence to my fantasy planning, namely a big-ish terminus up in the mountains which is a kind of museum and also hosts heritage excursion trains - it even has a turntable. (Google map satellite view) Obviously with only 30cm-wide shelves I can't faithfully reproduce it but it's nice to have some real-world inspiration (even though I'll be going Extreme Rule 1 with the trains  :D ).

Anyway playing around with track designs, seeing what fits etc. The tunnel portals will be "bricked up" and represent long-closed former extensions of the line. There'll be a small MPD/stabling point at the far end.

Got me some boards cut for the backscenes too, which I'll paint sky blue for now but maybe find some appropriate photos some time in the far and distant future.

port perran

At the moment, I'm painting a trawler kit (for Trepol Bay Harbour) whilst listening to the cricket on the wireless (now there's an old fashioned word). In fact I'm listening wirelessly on my ipad so I guess that adds new meaning to the term "listening on the wireless.  It's probably more apt now than it used to be.
It's something I've been putting off as I don't like painting tiny details.
However, I'm sure it will look reasonably OK in the end.
Incidentally, I'm also not looking forward to fitting the masts and rigging.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

guest311

not exactly working on the railway, but as SWMBO, younger daughter and two grandsons flew off to Tenerife yesterday for 2 weeks  :thumbsup: and as the weather has been cr  wet today, I have taken the opportunity to start putting all my stock into the foam trays and boxes I've been buying from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/chev625?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

over the last couple of months or so, without the danger of the 'how much of this have you got ?' being asked.

mind you, I seem to have found some boxes that I'd forgotten about, cause there's tons of it  :o

still, should be much safer than rolling around in the old boxes I'd made  :)

alan

mr bachmann

the finishing touch's to a model village -
ex USAF officer working at Fylingdales EWS (Golf Balls) , would visit the local village loved it so much he bought the TV film set . Upon discharge from the USAF lands  a job with Roundhouse RR Co as tourism officer , then management confronted him with some spare land ... the rest is your imagination ...

[smg id=25468 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 2390"]
[smg id=25469 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 2389"]

Roy L S

Quote from: newportnobby on May 31, 2015, 12:57:42 PM
How about some pics please, Roy? ;)

I haven't got my camera handy so here are one or two which hopefully haven't been posted before: -

Roy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations