what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulprice

Well the layout is set in the later years of the LMS before the terrible day of the formation of "British Railways"

steve836

Well then if the patriots appeared in both liveries take your pick. As my layout is LM region I'm stuck with green or black, a maroon loco would make a welcome change  so am considering running a duchess under rule 1 (they didn't do the  rooftop line)
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

paulprice

I may have to give it some more thought, maybe making two would be easier

MalcolmInN

This evening I have been experimenting with a Farish 4F and a Farish J39 on a circle of R2 with a train of 7 Peco wagons variously disposed bitwixt 'em.
Very entertaining observing their relative speeds ( ! simple pleasures = simple minds comes to mind !! )

So then I began to wonder when 'banking' and 'double heading' were used ?
For example, in the mists of time it is lost to me, if banking or heading were used differently or in pref. on, for example, Shap and Beatock Summit ?
I suppose it was determined where the eventual home (rest location) of the assisting loco was ?
I think (long time ago !) that Betock had a dedicated 'assist facility' local whereas Shap was  serviced from Tebay ?

steve836

Quote from: paulprice on April 30, 2015, 10:33:35 PM
I may have to give it some more thought, maybe making two would be easier

and why not? The loco is looking good. Didn't say so last night 'cos SWMBO was whingeing about going to bed and distracted me.

In regard to Malcolm's post I think that company policy was also involved as well as the incline. eg. the Midland had a policy of building small engines and using pilots, whereas the LNWR preferred larger engines which could cope alone with just an assist when the going got tough. Similarly the GWR preferred to use pilots whereas the LNER preferred to bank from the rear.

paulprice

Thanks for the comments about the loco, it maybe all the justification I need to build another one.

As for the Midland small engine policy, I think its great it gives me the excuse to put two 4F's on one of my mineral trains.

I think if we all look hard enough we can all find justification for what we want, even if it only on or layouts, God I hope the Domestic Overlord does not read this????.........Just in case......SORRY BOSS I DID NOT MEAN IT, THE BIG BOYS MADE ME SAY IT :(

steve836

Where is your layout based, Paul, or is it a generic LMS layout?

paulprice

Its loosely, maybe that should be very loosely based in the Northwest, originally I set out to make it just for home operation, but its sort of developing a life of its own.

I think my next layout will the based on an actual location, that's if I ever get Foster Street finished

steve836

Been building the up side waiting rooms[smg id=24761 type=preview align=center caption="006"][smg id=24762 type=preview align=center caption="003"][smg id=24763 type=preview align=center caption="001"]

Must get a new camera, the auto-focus seems to be shot.Have given first coat to highlight joints, needs Chimneys and final paint. Not 100% happy with it so may have to do it again when layout is complete, especially if I can't hide the blemishes during final paint.[smg id=24764 type=preview align=center caption="108"]
What it should look like!
can any one advise how to reproduce the curved bottom edge to the roof?

ColinH

Quote from: steve836 on May 09, 2015, 05:56:44 PM

What it should look like!
can any one advise how to reproduce the curved bottom edge to the roof?

Think you will find that this is not actually 'curved' but the effect is created by fixing the lower 3 or 4 courses of slate at a much shallower angle than the higher courses.

Hope that helps
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

MinZaPint

Hi Steve,  that looks a very tough project you're taking on, any thoughts on how you're going to tackle that chimney! Are you running a layout thread if not where is your location it looks very interesting.  Cheers  David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

steve836

Hi David
I haven't done a layout thread as such (not sure how) although I have posted several photos (which should be accesible through my profile ) . My layout is based on Cromford in Derbyshire, on the old Midland main line from Derby to Buxton & Manchester.
Steve

Newportnobby

Quote from: steve836 on May 09, 2015, 08:09:58 PM
Hi David
I haven't done a layout thread as such (not sure how) although I have posted several photos (which should be accesible through my profile ) . My layout is based on Cromford in Derbyshire, on the old Midland main line from Derby to Buxton & Manchester.
Steve

Hi Steve,
From the 'Forum' main board under 'Your Layouts' select the 'Layout Construction' board and then just start a new topic for your layout. It always helps to keep everything in the one place and folks can bookmark it if they want to follow it more easily. Same goes for 'Layout Planning' but I think you're past that bit now.

steve836

Quote from: MinZaPint on May 09, 2015, 07:44:50 PM
Hi Steve,  that looks a very tough project you're taking on, any thoughts on how you're going to tackle that chimney! Are you running a layout thread if not where is your location it looks very interesting.  Cheers  David

I don't think the chimneys are too hard, rather fiddly I must admit, but when you look at a close up[smg id=24776 type=preview align=center caption="122"]

You can see that they are made up of fairly basic shapes.

Now Nobby has given me advice regarding a layout thread I shall make a start, so it's a matter of "watch this space" (or at least the appropriate one).

paulprice

I'm losing the plot, despite working for months/years the chassis I have to fit to my Ivatt 4 build, has suddenly decided to stop its gears meshing.

So when I apply power I get a nice whining noise and now movement.....AGRRHHH   HELP HELP HELP

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations