what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil s

Quote from: steve836 on October 06, 2014, 08:06:47 PM
Hi Phil & James
Really well executed models. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more

today i have just bought the metcalf railway workers cotteges, even tho they are metcalf the same as in my first pics they are not the same quality, they dont have bottom floors in them but do have middle floors, they are more flimsey, they have windows but no frames, half way through building the first one but it is a bit more fiddley as there is more movement when trying to glue them together, but then 4 semi terrace houses for £6.25p i spose i should have known, but still enjoying building them

phil

steve836

Yes they are fun, we usually take a Metcalfe kit or two when we go caravanning. Gives us something to do other than watch the rain!
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

bees

I do that too, but it's usually a Scalescenes kit i take on holiday though

:NGaugersRule:
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

steve836

Hey Bees,
Its interesting to see a Mancunian supporting Brentford, it's usually the other way round!

bees

Quote from: steve836 on October 08, 2014, 09:42:25 AM
Hey Bees,
Its interesting to see a Mancunian supporting Brentford, it's usually the other way round!

Hahaha, very true!
My dad was a Londoner, I'm a Manc that's proud to be a Bee!!, of course i follow the local sides, but not a fan!

Steven. COYB!
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

steve836

Just finished stage 1: constructing the hills, painting and covering with scatter up the Derwent valley[smg id=17280 type=preview align=center caption="002"][smg id=17281 type=preview align=center caption="003"]

Generally quite pleased with the effect, but because I was too greedy over storage sidings, the river looks reasonable ,but where it comes from and where it goes will have to be hidden by trees!
Stage 2 will be the construction of Riber loco depot.( there never was a Riber loco, but, like other places on the layout they take their names from villages in more or less the right place in relation to Cromford.) with a lot of tree planting to vary the jobs.
None of the building, except the farm on the hill are going to stay but will be replaced with scratch built ones, they are merely Metcalfe kits used to give an idea of what it will look like when buildings are put in position. The kits will move to Crich which will be constructed to the left of the hillside over Leawood Tunnel.

steve836

Oops forgot to include this pic. of the site of Riber loco. :dunce:[smg id=17285 type=preview align=center caption="004"]
The round hole is where the turntable will go. Steam this side of the branch line diesel on the far side.

Newportnobby

Looks very, very good :thumbsup:
You've certainly captured the 'railway in a landscape' perspective

daveg

Looking at the pics again Steve, how did you do what appears to be a canal? Looks very nice.

I'm planning a river but a canal may offer more scope to add extra interest.

Dave G

Jerry Howlett

Looking good pity about that 6 car blue thing.... It just made me even more envious !

Great effect with the canal by the way , and can you do a close up on the station please ?.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

steve836

Quote from: daveg on October 13, 2014, 03:27:19 PM
Looking at the pics again Steve, how did you do what appears to be a canal? Looks very nice.

I'm planning a river but a canal may offer more scope to add extra interest.

Dave G

I used 2 methods to get the canal, one was to router out the shape from 12mm ply, the other was to use 2 thicknesses of 6mm ply, 1 layer giving the whole area the other cut with a jigsaw to give the banks. I found the second way was easier, but that may be because I am not very good with a router.The canal sides were painted brown and the bottom was painted various shades of green with acrylics then I poured in "Magic Water", a 2 part resin product, you can follow,with pics in the "Scenery"section of this forum in a thread which I started.

steve836

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on October 13, 2014, 04:32:03 PM
Looking good pity about that 6 car blue thing.... It just made me even more envious !

Great effect with the canal by the way , and can you do a close up on the station please ?.

Jerry

Perhaps if we all speak nicely to Farish they will do two more cars so you can have the Western version as that seems to be your bag. The station is not really ready for close up as only the platforms are done, The station buildings at the moment consist of a Metcalfe island platform building, left over from my last layout on the down platform and a Metcalfe tractor shed on the up, with a "Liddle End" footbridge, which is due to be carved up and given "stone" steps as per the real one at Cromford. The stationmaster's house at present is also a Metcalfe kit of a pair of railworkers cottages. All the kits are due to be replaced with scratch built replicas of the real buildings which were rather special.

Jerry Howlett

I being a bloke and not reading things, thought, thought it looked like Cromford. (That's why I asked for a close up)  I did some survey work at Matlock for Network Rail ...10 years ago and took the opportunity to sneak around Cromford with a set of keys and an HV vest. An amazing looking station I seem to remember that the upside buildings were a private house.  Looking forward to your progress. It sure has the feel of the old midland line already.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

steve836

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on October 13, 2014, 06:47:04 PM
I being a bloke and not reading things, thought, thought it looked like Cromford. (That's why I asked for a close up)  I did some survey work at Matlock for Network Rail ...10 years ago and took the opportunity to sneak around Cromford with a set of keys and an HV vest. An amazing looking station I seem to remember that the upside buildings were a private house.  Looking forward to your progress. It sure has the feel of the old midland line already.

Jerry

[smg id=17334 type=preview align=center caption="108"][smg id=17335 type=preview align=center caption="112"][smg id=17336 type=preview align=center caption="107"]

This is what I am trying to replicate.
I am really chuffed that you recognised Cromford from my layout _ I was beginning to think I had got it all wrong and could only see the things that weren't right.

Nick

Not actually doing anything on my layout at the moment, more for my layout...

I'm redecorating my home office/study/radio shack/modelling room. The layout has got to the stage it needs a permanent home soon, which meant reorganising aforesaid den, so I was bludgeoned into a long, long overdue decorating session, and making provision to tidy up the rat's nest of cabling that makes everything work I've also been told that all the junk which was in there and is now piled up in the spare bedroom is NOT coming back in.... (This is actually a good thing!)

Did you know Swann-Morton No 11 blades trim wallpaper very well... And hard earned skills with modelling fillers and drills scale up nicely....
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations