Is a spell of unrealistically fast running beneficial to locos?

Started by port perran, February 18, 2019, 07:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crow

Yes! I have a couple of Poole Jinty's with the "iron" gears and big flanges which make a wonderful noise and are good and heavy too. Like myself, they requite some impetus to get going from rest.

Phoenix

As others have said, like ourselves, our locos sometimes need a bit of a blast to get going, and I think we have all been guilty of seeing how fast a loco will go at some stage or other  :-[

I do sometimes give my Terrier a run at high speed, and it does seem to blow the cobwebs away.

Although a tiny loco, it is very robust, and runs really well. It somehow even survived the trauma I put it through filing the flanges off the centre wheels so it would go round the tight (4" radius) curves on the upper level of Windmill Hill.

:worried: :o  :worried:

I took advantage of this thread (hope you don't mind Martin) to give me an excuse to practice videoing. I made a video of the Terrier. It is uploading to Youtube now, and when that's done I will link to it here.

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Phoenix

:hellosign:

Wow ...... what an age it takes to upload a video to youtube. Over 2 hours for a two and a bit minute clip  :worried:

Anyway, hope you like the Terrier belting round. The bit with the controller set at 3 is the usual speed, but maybe even that is a tad fast for normal running  :hmmm:

All best wishes
Kevin

Bealman

Wow.... it's a wonder the resulting vortex didn't suck the pub up and away!

I was half expecting Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton arriving with their gear, and a cow come hurtling by!!

Cool!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

port perran

That made me feel giddy just watching - heaven knows what it was like for the driver and fireman  :D
Very impressive that the tran stayed on the track though.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

dannyboy

The washing would have dried going round and round at that speed!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Train Waiting

Great fun, Kevin!  You had perhaps change the name of your absolutely spiffing layout to 'Brooklands' for these enthusiastic occasions.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

Driver, fireman and guard must have thought they'd been put in a centrifuge! :goggleeyes:
Spinal Tap would have had that up to 11 :D

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Phoenix

Hi Guys,

So glad you liked the video  :D

It's almost lie one of those "Runaway Train" rides at a theme park  :o :o :o

I loved the Spinal Tap reference Mick .....I must mark an 11 on the controller  ;)

All best wishes
Kevin

Caz

Great video, started to get motion sickness looking at the faster speeds!   :worried:   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Philip.

Phoenix

Thanks Caz,

A great remedy for motion sickness is port and brandy, so if you fancy a drink, the video gives you an excuse  :beers:

And I too have no idea how it managed to stay on, Philip  ;)

I promise the next video will be more gentle. I am having some issues on the lower level track, so will probably do one of the Windmill turning, and it's new light next as I want to practice videos.

All best wishes
Kevin

:NGF: :beers:

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Phoenix on February 20, 2019, 03:50:18 AM
Wow ...... what an age it takes to upload a video to youtube. Over 2 hours for a two and a bit minute clip

I get the same problem if I upload a finished video file to YouTube. However, if I share the video straight to YouTube from within the video editing software (iMovie on a Mac in my case) it only takes a couple of minutes.  Worth looking to see if your software can do the same?

Old Crow

A most excellent video, quite had me dizzy; did well to stay on the track.  Must admit I've had my Coronation Pacific well over 70mph with 8 coaches and coming out of a straight, over some points and into a curve it's terrifying!  But fun!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations