Peco Lineside fencing

Started by mojo, August 06, 2023, 01:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo

Does someone have tips for connecting lengths of the Peco Lineside bar fencing please.
There are 3 pips on the 3 bars to locate in 3 holes in the uprights but trying to get them to stay in place is driving me extremely mad!

Maurice

ntpntpntp

I agree they can be a nuisance.  I apply a tiny spot of superglue and squeeze together with snipe nose pliers or a miniature G clamp.  I suppose you could drill out or ream out the hole a little if necessary.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Not much use to you but I gave up and retired to the  local Laughing Academy (asylum)

elmo

Plastic weld and heavy tweezers.
I hold the small post in place, you can often feel the pips going into the holes (they are a tight fit). I then hold a brush of plastic weld to each side of the post which usually gives and instant seal.
I have found superglue to be of little use as it leaves a lump of glue which can push the post out of the pips. Plastic weld melts the two bits of plastic to form a strong joint. I always glue the small posts into place before adding the fence to the layout.
The biggest grief I get is when joining lengths of fence together. These are done in the same way but the bars have to be done individually. The pips are a bit springy. I therefore add the plastic weld first then push the pip in with tweezers then often have to brush on more weld liquid. I find that these need to be held with the tweezers for 30 seconds or so before letting go of the tweezers. I do though have a number of 'modelled' broken leaning down fence bars because the pips broke off! If all else fails, I hide the boo boos with foliage.

Elmo

mojo

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
The small intermediate posts are not too bad to fit, it is when connecting long lengths where my patience is exhausted!
I have tried superglue which has not been very successful but will have a go with plastic weld next.

Maurice

Bealman

Peco plastic is notorious for being completely resistant to any glue.  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Bealman on August 08, 2023, 11:12:15 AMPeco plastic is notorious for being completely resistant to any glue.  :uneasy:

Yes I'm surprised Plastic Weld actually works  :) Hence why I use superglue - or better still avoid the Peco fencing anyway and use something else such as the Ratio lineside fencing.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Timbo66

I gave up with it and bought some 3D printed fences off ebay.

Bealman

Yeah, the Peco fences are overscale. The Ratio stuff is finer, but a bit too flexible for my liking. It doesn't like glue too much, either!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

maridunian

Quote from: elmo on August 08, 2023, 07:46:03 AMThe biggest grief I get is when joining lengths of fence together. These are done in the same way but the bars have to be done individually.

It's best to join lengths of the fencing flat on the bench before installing the completed fence, drilling holes into the scenery for the posts. I roughen the sides of the pips with coarse sandpaper and use drops of Gorilla Glue (PVA) to secure.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations