1950s coaching stock

Started by Candy Apple Head, September 02, 2019, 03:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candy Apple Head

Hi all

I'm getting back into my layout after a bit of a layoff spending time on other things, and I'm looking at adding some new rolling stock.

My question is what, out of current market offerings, would be appropriate coaching stock for a local passenger service, say behind an ex-LMS 4P loco, on East Midlands lines set in the late 50s/early 60s? Farish Stanier coaches?

I've also got a couple of the old Farish LMS suburban coaches, which I might repaint to BR livery. Would they have been used on such a service?

Thanks in advance.

Steven B

Yes, the Farish Staniers would be idea for a secondary/local passenger train in the 1950s; Maroon was applied to coaches from 1956 but would be given to express coaches first, so go for the crimson & cream ones.

The Farish Suburban coaches are crude by today's standards but they're a good approximation of LMS coaches.

Mk1 suburbans could also be used - again in crimson.

You don't say how long you want your train but a typical one might be a brake-second at each end with a composite (first/second class combined) in the middle to make a three coach train. The train can be expanded as required:
BSK+CK+BSK
BSK+CK+SK+BSK
BSK+SK+CK+SK+BSK
BSK+SK+CK+CK+SK+BSK

Steven B.

martyn

Photos also suggest
BG,TK,BTK,(or BCK), TK (CK if brake coach is a BTK).

It would seem the BG could also be,eg, 42' GUV or other passenger rated parcels van (and not necessarily an LMS vehicle?).

I think it would also be able to add a 12t vacuum braked van at the end for parcels or 'special traffic' use.

The old Poole LMS non-corridors can be improved by using a detailing kit from Etched Pixels/Ultima, with a new roof and vents; from the same source are replacement truss rods, battery boxes, and other underframe details if you want to go that far.

Dave/Southerngooner and I had, I think, suggested other consists in our original article which was in 'Modeller' for September about Coaching stock for James St, but these were edited out (I think)
Don't forget that if you're modelling the East Midlands you could have an inter-regional train composed of LNER stock, possibly mixed with Mk1s: Staniers mixed with Mk1s required corridor adaptors between the types, and so whilst not unknown, I think we're not common on secondary services.

You could of course run 'Express' length trains on through services, if this fits your scenario.
HTH

Martyn

Martyn

Steven B

Mk1s were new in 1951 and would be mostly used on mainline/express services. They weren't often mixed with Stanier stock until much later on.

Even then you'd find groups of Staniers or Mk1s together. You wouldn't get Stanier-Mk1-Stanier-Mk1 for example, but Stanier-Stanier-Mk1-Mk1 to minimise the number of corridor adaptors required.

Steven B.

martyn

I've been looking through the original article that Dave and I wrote for the 'Modeller'. Quite a bit was left out in the published article, especially the consists that we had obtained from various sources.

From our research, we had also found the following as authentic 'local' sets; the first two are LMR sets, the second two ER, but I'm sure all four are probably valid for both regions. Note these are non-corridor sets.

S/CL/BS

BS/S/C/C/S/BS

BT/T/T/C  (or BT/T/C)

BT/C

HTH

Martyn

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP