Need a little guidance please

Started by brookleigh, December 10, 2019, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brookleigh

As a relative Newbie, the construction of my first layout is progressing slowly.
I have laid my first idea for a layout   (I,m using Kato track)....my first choice of loco is a Dapol GWR 14XX Class
My issue is that, whilst running at low speed, pulling 2 coaches, the loco has a tendency to exhibit "wheel spin"   this is more noticeable on points although it can occur in other places.
I stress that this is most noticeable at low speeds.
The track is also perfectly level ....   following a couple of attempts with the base.

Any hint most welcome.

Thanks  Roger

port perran

Hi Roger

Good to hear that you ate making progress.
As for the 14xx. Those little locomotives are fairly notorious for their lack of pulling power and it does seem to vary a bit amongst individual examples.
My own one is happy with a single autocoach or a goods wagon and brake van but does have difficulty in pulling away with my two coach B set.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

ntpntpntp

Mine is quite a strong hauler for its size as I recall (it doesn't come out much, as I run European N mostly).

Check the coach wheels are nice and free running, and check the coach bogies turn freely.  In other words, check there's no unnecessary drag.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Malc

Be worth giving the track a clean. New track can be a bit greasy.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

LAandNQFan

I also find that one autocoach is the limit, particularly as there is a 2% gradient it has to manage.  I wonder if adding weight to the engine would help adhesion... :hmmm:
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Leon

My GWR 14xx must be from the same batch as yours. It's lucky to pull its own weight!!! Actually, it is reasonable with one autocoach on the level. In fact, it may have managed a slight gradient. I did experience the spinning wheels, though, but it's too long since I ran it for me to recall the exact circumstances. When my layout is complete, it will need to run up a slightly steeper gradient and I'm not sure it will be up to that task. I expect I'll look into an alternative locomotive for the autocoach and relegate the 14xx to other duties (like moving a single goods wagon).

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

chrism

Quote from: Leon on December 11, 2019, 10:00:49 PM
When my layout is complete, it will need to run up a slightly steeper gradient and I'm not sure it will be up to that task. I expect I'll look into an alternative locomotive for the autocoach and relegate the 14xx to other duties (like moving a single goods wagon).

Would it be practical to run it so that the coach is leading going up the gradient?
As I recall the 14xx is an 0-4-2 so with it propelling up the gradient bunker first more of the weight, such as it is, would in theory be transferred to the driving wheels.

brookleigh

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
I have done some track & wheel cleaning which have slightly improved things.
Comment has been made about its lack of pulling power, and I wouldn't argue, but.....
The loco itself, on Full Power and using a stopwatch......it is 40% faster than my GWR Castle Class....
the 14XX has a prodigious turn of speed.

Regards   Roger

port perran

Quote from: brookleigh on December 12, 2019, 10:01:34 AM
Comment has been made about its lack of pulling power, and I wouldn't argue, but.....
The loco itself, on Full Power and using a stopwatch......it is 40% faster than my GWR Castle Class....

Regards   Roger
Yes, they are sprightly little beasts.
The problem is their lack of weight making adhesion to the tracks very slight leading to lack of pulling power.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

brookleigh

Quote from: port perran on December 12, 2019, 10:05:03 AM

Regards   Roger
Yes, they are sprightly little beasts.
The problem is their lack of weight making adhesion to the tracks very slight leading to lack of pulling power.

Yes I would agree with that.

Roger

ntpntpntp

Yeah, Dapol's first N steam loco. Cute little thing, but they didn't get the gearing quite right  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations