Temporary glue to aid layout construction

Started by Thebaz, December 09, 2019, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thebaz

Evening.

I have what may be a unique set of problems in getting the construction of my layout moving.

1) I have used polystyrene to make the boards lightweight (so it can be "put away")
2) The layout features about 80% flexitrack, 10% setrack and 10% turnouts and is a very tight fit to the board space
3) Our house is small and we are also trying to sell it so I cannot have the layout out to work on permanently

all this means

4) I need to temporarily fix the track so I can work out where I need to cut holes for the point motors, and have to work on one half of the board at a time. Obviously track pins don't tend to work with polystyrene, especially if I'm then going to store it vertically.

So I'm thinking of using some sort of "temporary" glue to hold the track. I would need the glue to be temporary enough for me to be able to remove the track afterwards but not leave a manky residue on the track or pull away any of the polystyrene when removed. Any suggestions? Would a very diluted PVA solution work?

port perran

Blu tak?
I'd normally suggest Copydex but I'm not at all sure you'd get it off without damaging the polystyrene.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

exmouthcraig

Problem with glues and polystyrene is it needs to be solvent free so it doesnt melt.

Could you not PVA track onto a 6mm ply board, lay or even prop off the top of the polystyrene to get you location marked and once their done get a couple of tubes of yellow solvent free gripfill. Squirt and spread over polystyrene and clamp the 6mm ply back to it??

A rigid top board but not adding much weight to the overall layout and 6mm wont add much depth to it once stood up.

Hopefully the new house has a dedicated room?????

Dorsetmike

My preferred way is cork tiles, or strips cut from them, stuck to the poly with PVA, pins hold in cork until you can ballast. (also using PVA) Done it that way for the last 15 years/3 layouts with no problems.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

RailGooner

Quote from: port perran on December 09, 2019, 05:17:09 PM
Blu tak?
I'd normally suggest Copydex but I'm not at all sure you'd get it off without damaging the polystyrene.

I was also going to say Copydex - just a few dabs the size of a match-head here and there.

kirky

Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

zwilnik

Quote from: RailGooner on December 09, 2019, 06:16:09 PM
Quote from: port perran on December 09, 2019, 05:17:09 PM
Blu tak?

I was also going to say Copydex - just a few dabs the size of a match-head here and there.

Likewise, Copydex is my go-to sticky stuff for track work. Handy for temporary fixing as well as permanent (with the ability to carefully peel the track up again later if you want).

Newportnobby

Is there any way you can create your track plan in a Planning software such as SCARM or AnyRail then print it out at 1:1.
That way you would not need to fix down your track at all and risk damaging the polystyrene until you come to do it permanently.

Thebaz

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions so far.

I think prittstick will not be sticky enough to take the weight of the track hanging vertically, and probably not   enough to hold the track whilst I'm trying to fix other bits of track to it. Similarly with blu-tack.

I have a plan at 1:1 but so far I've resisted taping all the sheets together. But I suppose I could do that and just poke holes through where the turnouts are. Copydex seems to be the consensus on glue so I will try that in a small corner first to see if it damages the poly.

New house will hopefully have somewhere I can work, - market is a bit slow at the moment though!

Cheers

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations