Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Quote from: gorebridge2001 on October 29, 2012, 08:00:41 PM
Even a long run may not work out as well as one might expect. A friend of mine decided to build an end to end layout in his garden in OO, controlled from his shed at one end - total disaster, by time the train was halfway down the garden it was impossible to judge its position, so he had to employ a "runner" to tell him where it was, so he'd know when to stop it and make the reverse journey!  :laugh:

Thats why most G stuff is radio control, and the bigger scale live steam. Does also mean that modelling involves running around after trains and exercise... can't see that catching on
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

sprichasm

:hmmm:
Almost exactly my parcourse. Though space, in a 2 bedroomed appartment, was in my case a consideration. Since moving to a 4 bedroomed house 12 years ago I still haven't a home for the layout, as the cellar is now filled with spare parts & tools for maintaining a fleet of 5 classic Minis! ::)
I'm glad though that my stock boxes take up less than a quarter of the space a similar amount of OO stock would do! One day soon, when most of the Minis finally leave home, I'll be able to play trains once again. 'Til then I'm just "collecting".
:NGaugersRule: :beers:

Quote from: H on November 23, 2011, 11:47:05 AM
I had O gauge when very young and then OO as a young lad (didn't know better), but when I got back in to model railways (late 1970s) I chose N gauge because it looked and felt more sophisticated, acceptable, desirable and was relatively new and therefore something for the future. Oddly enough nothing to do with space, although that is an undoubted benefit.

H.
VBR
Chas

H

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 29, 2012, 10:31:06 PM

Thats why most G stuff is radio control, and the bigger scale live steam. Does also mean that modelling involves running around after trains and exercise... can't see that catching on

Unless you equip the trains with miniature CCTV cameras with the pics relayed back to the control station. But then you're getting close to simulators.

Or, of course, build the trains big enough so you can get in and drive them. That'd save running around after them. :)

H.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: H on October 30, 2012, 03:45:17 PM
Or, of course, build the trains big enough so you can get in and drive them. That'd save running around after them. :)

Most of the time

http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/070524_R132007_East_Didsbury.pdf
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

sprichasm

I bought a tiny camera that ought to fit inside a suitable N-gauge NPCS vehicle, including a small battery, which relays black and white video signal directly to a TV tuner ... I haven't used it yet though!
Anyone else had experience with this type of thing? I thought it might at least be fun to get an N-gauge driver's eye view of one's layout!
:NGaugersRule:
Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 30, 2012, 04:25:50 PM
Quote from: H on October 30, 2012, 03:45:17 PM

Most of the time

http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/070524_R132007_East_Didsbury.pdf
VBR
Chas

Darryl

Well I have always had an interest in small fine detiled models, so when it came to Model railways it was a natural progression.
Plus N Gauge allows us what most of the other larger gauges don't, to be able to model and run more realistic scenes and trains.
- Darryl -

GerryB

My decision to move from 4 mm to N gauge was based entirely on it offering me the opportunity to run realistic length trains through realistic scenic settings. It allows a more 'impressionist' approach to be taken rather than having to worry about the minute detail as you do in the larger scales.

Gerry.

westie7

The sheer amount of kits available which at the time were not available in OO did it for me. Still a wider range in my chosen (Speedlink) period.
Then add the improvements with accurate shaped 37's and 47's for starters and it was a no brainer for me. Still gradually flogging off the OO!

Rgds
Mark

Michael Shillabeer

I changed to N Gauge as a teenager in 1977 after visiting Pecorama and seeing a long layout built into a hallway.

I had great plans to build a layout around my bedroom and into the loft space next to the room. The layout got as far as half way down one wall. I have one building left from this - a scratchbuilt model of my grandparents house.

Michael

scottishlocos

Hi all

I am new to N have swapped from OO because of space but also because of the quality of the modern N locks wagons and buildings Icahn now model trains I didn't have room for in OO and also a few trains where the wagons are not available in OO

Regards

Dave

Nick_BFC

Purely for space. Didn't fancy a loft or garage based layout so needed to plump for a 4x2 max. Also had OO in the past so I suppose I also fancied a change.

Karhedron

Primarily for space reasons. I modelled modern-image in 00 when I was growing up but my parents had a large loft on which I no longer have a claim.

I always had a soft spot for the GWR so when Dapol released their autocoach and 1400 in N gauge, the rest was history. :)
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Trainfish

I bought 2 of the newer Hornby HSTs for a OO layout I was building but soon realised that they would look silly running as either 5 coach sets or entering the next corner after about one second of leaving the previous corner.
I now have 2 Dapol blue/grey HSTs with 4 more on pre-order. I still need loads of Dapol coaches but have plenty of Farish mk3s for now. That's not all I have but I think the original HST was the best loco/train/DMU ever invented and if a layout can't have them running full length then it's not worth having a layout  :P
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

allesclar

Dont know really, for my 7th birthday my dad said to me "Do you want small trains or big trains" ie N or 00 gauge.

I thought the smaller, the more i can have. Stuck with N gauge ever since :)

kes

I changed to n gauge so I could run longish trains at slow speed inside the house. I have since built 3 small portable layouts, one of which goes with me in the motorhome on holiday! I suppose the vast increase in the visual standard has attracted me back to n gauge. I just wish the build quality of some of the products would match the appearance.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations