Dapol (re)announce HST Protype train - open for pre-orders

Started by NGS-PO, September 08, 2018, 01:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidinyork

Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 09, 2018, 12:25:42 PM
Quote from: Lindi on September 09, 2018, 11:37:45 AM
I see the Dapol bashers are having a field day on this thread. :veryangry:

They are very democratic though they bash Farish DJM Revolution etc in equal measures.  It must be in their nature to moan. ;D

I don't recall criticising any of those - certainly not Revolution who went about production of the Pendolino in a very sensible way.

It would appear that according to some people on here any criticism is "bashing" even when the reasons for the criticism are clearly explained.

RailGooner

Quote from: RailGooner on September 08, 2018, 02:19:10 PM
.. Deposit £0.00 ...
.. Estimated delivery date: Q4 2018 ...
.. The project is conditional on reaching a sufficiently large number of pre-orders, tooling will not start until this requirement is met. ...

I'm sorry, I don't mean to come across as a constant critic of Dapol, but they make it so easy.
:veryangry:

Not Dapol bashing. Just expressing my frustration. I'd love to own a model of the Prototype HST. But I'll not be expressing any interest in Dapol's project because, from the info provided by Dapol, I don't understand how to order a prototypical formation or how much it'll cost or when it might be delivered.

If I'm scratch building or converting a model, I'll do my own research and might enjoy doing so. If I'm buying a RTR loco/wagon/coach I don't mind doing a bit of research to find out what train formations that item would run in. But if I'm buying a RTR train, I expect the manufacturer to have done the research. I think that is a pretty fair approach for one to take and reasonable expectations to have of any manufacturer.

davidinyork

Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 09, 2018, 12:22:54 PM
The options are straight forward and I have already placed my interest in a full train. :bounce:

"Straightforward" provided you are aware of the power car livery point (which many people won't be), and don't mind buying two coaches you don't need in order to get a typical 8-car formation...

acko22

Ahh the joys of people expressing their opinions points of view and how we ALL read things differently (NOT A CRITICISM JUST AN OBSERVATION)

But back on topic I am tempted although it would be a rule one purchase just have to see what the set up is with the actual prototype on the GCR and maybe work it in as a special when my layout finally come together!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

davidinyork

Quote from: Lindi on September 09, 2018, 12:46:39 PM
I don't care whether they have got the correct name. I know what they mean as will most modellers will do. If they had called it by it's proper name High Speed Diesel Train then very few would have known what it was.

It was sometimes referred to as 'HSDT' in its early days, but is generally referred to as 'Prototype HST' - and if described as this everyone would have understood what was meant - With the fictional 'HST-P' people may or may not work it out.

And I don't take any 'delight' in 'bashing' any company - Raising legitimate issues is not 'bashing'.

And for balance (as you seem to think that I have something against Dapol), I think that their Class 68 is one of the best N-gauge models ever produced.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Lindi on September 09, 2018, 12:46:39 PM
Quote from: davidinyork on September 09, 2018, 12:00:16 PM

I think you've missed the point!

Not at all.

I don't care whether they have got the correct name. I know what they mean as will most modellers will do. If they had called it by it's proper name High Speed Diesel Train then very few would have known what it was.

Some modellers just seem to take delight at bashing Dapol.

At times I wonder why Dapol continue with 'N' gauge with all the criticism they get from the so called 'experts', when they can make more money from the larger scales.

Other manufactures are far from perfect and I have far higher percentage of failures (or incorrect liveries) from then than I have from Dapol.

Absolutely,  and at today's level of moulding detail the fact a model is available regardless of livery faults means it can be just run or corrected the way you want it,

I will always back anyone making a good attempt of delivering a new model in N. :thumbsup:

NB the NATIONAL-PRESERVATION.COM AND OTHERS refer to it as the HST (P) so its not a name conjured up by Dapol

davidinyork

Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 09, 2018, 12:56:49 PM
NB the NATIONAL-PRESERVATION.COM AND OTHERS refer to it as the HST (P) so its not a name conjured up by Dapol

They have probably copied it from Dapol - I've never seen it used before this model was announced the first time,

Snowwolflair

Quote from: davidinyork on September 09, 2018, 01:00:03 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 09, 2018, 12:56:49 PM

They have probably copied it from Dapol - I've never seen it used before this model was announced the first time,

No NATIONAL-PRESERVATION have used it for a long time and way before Dapol ever thought of the model.

Also its their Prototype HST they are using for detail, scanning etc. so almost certainly the other way round.

davidinyork

Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 09, 2018, 01:03:37 PM

No NATIONAL-PRESERVATION have used it for a long time and way before Dapol ever thought of the model.

Also its their Prototype HST they are using for detail, scanning etc. so almost certainly the other way round.

Well, someone on there has invented it then - I've read all the books dealing with it, and have a number of the promotional booklets produced when it was new, and this term is never used.

'Their' prototype HST? The National Preservation form doesn't own any HST. - it's just a forum. The surviving prototype power car belongs to the NRM and is on long-term loan to the 125 group. Most of the trailers survive, but all heavily modified (five of them are in use with Mainline TOCs).

davidinyork

Quote from: Lindi on September 09, 2018, 01:12:51 PM
High Speed Diesel Train was the official British Rail name for the train and included in there publicity

Initially it was, but that name seems to have disappeared fairly early on.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: davidinyork on September 09, 2018, 12:36:23 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 09, 2018, 12:22:54 PM
The options are straight forward and I have already placed my interest in a full train. :bounce:

"Straightforward" provided you are aware of the power car livery point (which many people won't be), and don't mind buying two coaches you don't need in order to get a typical 8-car formation...

Hi

Sorry but it took me all of thirty seconds to work out what was required to model the prototype from the information given on the Dapol webpage and a quick google.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Snowwolflair

Quote from: davidinyork on September 09, 2018, 01:16:40 PM

Well, someone on there has invented it then - I've read all the books dealing with it, and have a number of the promotional booklets produced when it was new, and this term is never used.

'Their' prototype HST? The National Preservation form doesn't own any HST. - it's just a forum. The surviving prototype power car belongs to the NRM and is on long-term loan to the 125 group. Most of the trailers survive, but all heavily modified (five of them are in use with Mainline TOCs).

That is not in doubt, however it is clear that it was not Dapol who invented the name as suggested earlier in this thread..

davidinyork

Quote from: Snowwolflair on September 09, 2018, 01:21:54 PM
Quote from: davidinyork on September 09, 2018, 01:16:40 PM

That is not in doubt, however it is clear that it was not Dapol who invented the name as suggested earlier in this thread..

Dapol have invented HST-P - that variant hasn't appeared anywhere before and clearly results from confusion with APT-P.

davidinyork

Quote from: PaulCheffus on September 09, 2018, 01:19:25 PM
Sorry but it took me all of thirty seconds to work out what was required to model the prototype from the information given on the Dapol webpage and a quick google.

So you found the information which said that the full yellow cabs never appeared with the whole formation in 30 seconds?

Where?

PaulCheffus

Quote from: davidinyork on September 09, 2018, 01:30:09 PM
Quote from: PaulCheffus on September 09, 2018, 01:19:25 PM

So you found the information which said that the full yellow cabs never appeared with the whole formation in 30 seconds?

Where?

Hi

Based on the information on the Dapol website that they are in departmental livery something that wasn't used on the full train.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82%