Dapol Dave is leaving

Started by StufromEGDL, July 24, 2013, 04:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogle

Well whatever Dave is doing or going to do I wish him well.
Never met the man but setting up any business in the current negative economy we have is brave indeed!
Good luck!  :thumbsup:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

CarriageShed

Quote from: moogle on August 17, 2013, 04:56:07 PM
Never met the man but setting up any business in the current negative economy we have is brave indeed!

I'm not sure I'd agree that the economy WAS negative. My own business has thrived in the last 18 months or so, and I've just enjoyed by busiest (read: most profitable) August in the entire decade of the existence of my business. Admittedly, I don't work in the railway modelling field, but mine is a field that suffers badly if company budgets are tight. Things to me seem to be flourishing quite promisingly.

moogle

Quote from: Pete33 on August 17, 2013, 05:52:30 PM
Quote from: moogle on August 17, 2013, 04:56:07 PM

I'm not sure I'd agree that the economy WAS negative. My own business has thrived in the last 18 months or so, and I've just enjoyed by busiest (read: most profitable) August in the entire decade of the existence of my business. Admittedly, I don't work in the railway modelling field, but mine is a field that suffers badly if company budgets are tight. Things to me seem to be flourishing quite promisingly.

:sorrysign: I mean't as in trying to set up a business.
Banks are still quite reluctant to lend to start up businesses. I know as I've looked into this myself.
It depends on what type of business it is of course as to if they'll lend.
And if it happened to be a model shop, like I looked into, you'll be very lucky indeed.

As to business in general, it depends on what your business is as some are still suffering.
Nice to hear yours is doing well.

Anyway, we're  :offtopicsign: now, so back to the OP, good luck Dave!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

CarriageShed

Quote from: moogle on August 17, 2013, 06:44:15 PM
...Banks are still quite reluctant to lend to start up businesses. I know as I've looked into this myself.
It depends on what type of business it is of course as to if they'll lend.

Good point. Mine was a loan-free business, although in those days, getting a loan wouldn't have been difficult. Setting up a shop or similar selling business must be a bit of a nightmare these days.   :(

Mr Sprue

Quote from: captainelectra on August 17, 2013, 11:30:45 AM
I wonder if the someone has let the cat out of the bag too early...the DJ Models site is now 100% password protected.  :doh:

:-[

EtchedPixels

Model business still seems fairly subdued but other businesses I talk to around here seem more positive. Businesses have money (profits up, wages down in real terms) but people don't - or what they have is being spent on more important things than trains - like fixing the car.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Adam1701D

I'm noticing a big upturn in orders. This could be down to the improved vinyls and increase in 4mm stuff. N gauge is certainly a lot more buoyant and we have to thank Dave for giving the UK scene a real kick start.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

CarriageShed

Quote from: captainelectra on August 18, 2013, 08:24:11 AM
I'm noticing a big upturn in orders. This could be down to the improved vinyls and increase in 4mm stuff. N gauge is certainly a lot more buoyant and we have to thank Dave for giving the UK scene a real kick start.

Thank you, Dave  :wave:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations