Some snippets from Dapol's open day 2019

Started by Les1952, September 21, 2019, 11:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

I didn't make the open day but thought I would add something based on conversation with Andy at TINGS.

The company have now, in his words, adopted a "pipeline" approach for N gauge (major projects at least). This means that, now the 50 is finished, the next one "down the pipe" is the WC / BOB.

I mentioned how eager I personally was for an N 59 and he said that is due, with the new style chassis from the 68 / 50, to go "down the pipe" after the aforementioned steamer.

New / upgraded chassis for steam in n wasn't mentioned to me (I didn't ask), but he did say it is unlikely sales would justify re-visiting older diesel designs with the intention of upgrading to match the 68/50 "baseline".

For me, confirmation the 59 should still happen is good enough atm.

Skyline2uk

njee20

That is very interesting. I'd really like a 59. It's the obvious gap in the modern scene.

Bob G

Les

Thanks for starting this thread. I rejoined the Dapol club so that I could get 50007 and I see they are still promising BB/WC 340001 Exeter as a Club Special next year, so maybe they will make that deadline.
Good news about the M7 too. But I heard someone on the Dapol stand at TINGS say they were not progressing the BB/WC, so conflicting news there.

I am a little grateful that I decided not to spend 5 hours in the car to get to the Open Day (and back) as the message seems to be a little downbeat on Dapol N gauge products.
I would have thought that a concerted campaign to repeat in N what they have in OO would save on research and some CAD work, but their strategy seems to be no strategy other than financial. Now I'm sure that's important, but even Revolution produce OO models that are based on their N gauge ones (or vice versa).

Dapol had previously announced a 41xx/51xx/61xx in OO, along with a 63xx Mogul. Now I would have thought both of those (especially the Mogul, now DJM are not producing one) would be sensible for N gauge. Does anyone know if those are still in the running? I remember Hornby announcing a 51xx/61xx with the intention to get to market before Dapol, but the Mogul is quiet.

The 50 (and the 68 before it) are streets ahead of previous Dapol models for electronics quality and also run quality, but if Sonic can produce a delightful Taffy Tank at the same price point as Union Mills City of Truro then both Farish and Dapol need to watch their pricing strategy, or we will end up with N gauge being solely the remit of small manufacturers.(Revolution/Sonic/Accurascale/Union Mills etc).

This so called pipeline approach seems more like one product at a time approach, whereas a true pipeline would have different products each at different stages, following in line after the first one. I think Dapol need a bigger pipe, quite honestly, and not just to fit the O gauge models into!

Bob

exmouthcraig

Too true Bob, the pipeline is purely financial.

IF we make enough money off this one we can start this one.

The redevelopment of chassis 1 at a time is the Rover approach to business, keep selling the same stuff for 40 years but make 1 change and that will keep the punters coming back. And it worked so well for them!!!

Every single thing they try to do is late and it's always the same reason, "oh it took longer". Yes because you cant afford to make it happen quicker.

Bob G

Quote from: exmouthcraig on September 22, 2019, 11:17:57 AM
Too true Bob, the pipeline is purely financial.

Joel is an accountant, after all, and so that view will remain all the time he is MD.

It reminds me of one of the consulting firms I used to work for.
When times got tough the business made the consultants (who were the only people able to generate revenue) redundant, because they were not bringing in enough revenue, but kept all the admin staff, because they were needed to tell management how badly the firm was doing (sorry all you admin people out there).

Small firms are more adept to change to circumstances than larger ones, which have a certain amount of inertia.
Farish are certainly in that mould, and Revolution in the small firm mould.
Dapol are somewhere in the middle, but I suspect they have all the overheads of a large firm and none of the adaptability of a small firm.
I'd like to see Dapol do more product development and take more risks, because they have already discounted crowdfunding as not fitting their business model.
Otherwise Revolution will end up being a bigger voice in the marketplace than Dapol.

Bob

exmouthcraig

Presumably the only way more product development and take more risks is only a viable option to someone whose got decent financial support and that seems to be the problem every way they turn.

With no crowd funding an option then banks are the only way forward and there must be reasons behind either not asking or not succeeding in securing money from outside sources.

The good thing behind that plan is IF they pull out of N or worse, out of everything altogether they dont loose modellers money they just leave us annoyed were not getting our models.

Paddy

In the past Dapol took a riskier approach to N Gauge and I am not sure that made their business healthy.  Dapol should invest where they can make the best return whether that is N, OO or O.

Personally, I would prefer they took the old Farish approach of one new loco a year and do it really well.  Also, given the often quoted reliability issues of their older locos then there could be some low hanging fruit in terms of upgrades.

Some ideas for them...

1. Create an N Gauge box van and cash in on the exclusive limited edition market.  The gunpowder van is not a substitute.

2. Crosti 9F.

3. High quality, upgraded re-releases.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Bob G

Quote from: Paddy on September 22, 2019, 11:53:40 AM

3. High quality, upgraded re-releases.

Paddy

Why, when there are plenty new opportunities out there, like an N gauge GWR mogul, for example. Never been done in N. Look at Sonic. They didnt ask the forum if anyone wanted an odd 0-6-2T seemingly only ever used in the Welsh Valleys.
But we are getting one and we have found they got a bit further away than the valleys. And we seem to like it too.

The ideal kettle to produce is one that has been preserved, as there will be the Era 9 people who fancy one as well. What's that I hear, the BB/WCs have been preserved...
Same with GWR mogul, and the Sonic 56xx.

Bob

Paddy

Hi Bob,

Don't disagree - a good approach as well.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Bob G

And I think the whole world would like a better 9F
Bob

Bob Tidbury

No news on the Chiltern Mainline coaches to go with the 68 Oxford Flyer  which in my opinion is the best N gauge loco ever made I was hoping to get a rake of them ,as they come through High Wycombe and mt son and daughter both work for Chiltern .
Never mind the 68 is quite happy pulling the Wrexham and Shropshire set .which is better than nothing .
Why bring out such a lovely loco with no coaches though .
Bob Tidbury

Dorsetmike

My M7s can haul 9 Dapol Maunsells and 2 Farish  bogie B vans on a 4'x2' oval; they do have some extra weight, when converting to the push pull fitted version the air pump and tanks were metal and there was also a small piece of lead on the cab floor for balance as most of the additional weight was at the front end, thus acting mostly on the front wheels .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s23ryqnij2whacj/M7%2B11fwds.mp4?dl=0

(Before the M7 hit the market I did hack a white metal kit (ABS Peter Drummond Highland Railway 0-6-4T, somewhat shortened) on a 14xx chassis with a rear bogie that will pull quite a bit more!)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

robert shrives

Quote from: njee20 on September 22, 2019, 07:32:16 AM
The problem there is that vinyled coaches look odd against factory painted. The vinyls are excellent though, I've done several sets of Caledonian Sleepers.

Perhaps in the fullness of time Farish will do the appropriate mk2s, but I'm not holding my breath!
The last few years have seen some "odd" formations with the mK2 lounge and brake open replaced with IC liveried RFO and a BSO ex "preserved" stock so some bits easier to do, as an aside it seems the later MK2 matches MK1 ride height so eventual mixing of Dapol sleepers and MK2s possible.  Hopefully by faffing with a HST TF, TRFM and TGS with buffers or swapping chassis with other MK3a stock a good bash can be done of the Penzance sleeper. 

njee20

The Night Riviera is normally just mk3s isn't it? So much less of an issue, although a bit of artistic licence may be needed on the exact coaches.

The Caledonian Sleeper needs the mk2s.

crewearpley40

nick

i went down last year on the Riviera took a family member birthday treat

Westbound (1C99) formation is generally Class 57 - BSO - TSO - RUB - 5x SLEP.

the formation was
57605, 17174, 12161, 10219, 10590, 10584, 10563, 10534, 10612

All the compartments are on the same side, for the whole length of the train.  The compartments are normally on the 'South' side of the train.

At Paddington, the compartments are on the platform side.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations