Map of layout locations

Started by railsquid, January 10, 2016, 04:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: red_death on January 11, 2016, 11:17:50 AM
I think it is very interesting in terms of general interest, with my exhibition manager's hat on and with my manufacturer's hat on.  Knowing what people are (and aren't) modelling in terms of period and location is incredibly useful and interesting information.

Cheers, Mike
Yup, something like that crossed my mind. We'd definitely be looking at some sort of mainly user-editable database, i.e. not part of the forum; technically doable, just a case of doing it and seeing if it gains traction. And finding the time of course.  :hmmm:

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on January 11, 2016, 10:23:22 AM
I'd have thought the simplest thing to do would be to start a thread asking the question "Is there anyone modelling xxxxxxxx?"
But who would model two pints of 4X ?  ???

hst

Yes I am modelling but only putting the pic on u tube under hst post more pictures later this week as at work now all pictures should be up by Friday the 15th of January

Yet_Another

Quote from: railsquid on January 11, 2016, 11:36:41 AM
Quote from: red_death on January 11, 2016, 11:17:50 AM
I think it is very interesting in terms of general interest, with my exhibition manager's hat on and with my manufacturer's hat on.  Knowing what people are (and aren't) modelling in terms of period and location is incredibly useful and interesting information.

Cheers, Mike
Yup, something like that crossed my mind. We'd definitely be looking at some sort of mainly user-editable database, i.e. not part of the forum; technically doable, just a case of doing it and seeing if it gains traction. And finding the time of course.  :hmmm:
Actually, you could really go to town on this. You could have a different layer for each era/epoch/decade.

(but don't ask me how: I'm more of an ideas rat  :D)
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

N-Gauge-US

So I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds and if I have, Tank or any other moderator, feel free to let me know, but I went ahead and created a GoogleMap for this purpose: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zva4k8UFbyr0.k1smbk9GVSsU&usp=sharing

It is open for now so that you can add your own layout and a description (please don't remove/edit other people's locations!). If you can't figure out how to add your layout, pm me your location and layout name and a picture (send photos as a link, please) if desired and I will post it for you.

I have wanted to do this for a while, so I hope everyone enjoys :D

As for layers for different eras, for now I think we should put our dates in the location description and worry about breaking it out into layers if/when we have more than 50 or so locations added, but if this is something everyone wants right away, I don't mind doing it :D

EDIT: For those wanting to add their layout to the map, see reply 36 below for instructions and PM me if you need help.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

port perran

I, for one, think that this is quite a good idea but can't quite figure out how to add my own layouts (PM sent).
I think we do need to be able to search by area/era. For example, "I want to find a 1950/1960 layout representing North Cornwall".
Hopefully, we can build on this and create a useful resource,
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

johnlambert

I've marked my layout at its real location, interesting to see another layout set fairly nearby.

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: johnlambert on January 17, 2016, 09:21:08 PM
I've marked my layout at its real location, interesting to see another layout set fairly nearby.

That is Avondale, a station on my fictional "Arden and Felden Railway" layout, which is set in Warwickshire, somewhere vaguely near Warwick and the river Avon. :)

Zogbert Splod

:sorrysign: But...  Mine is gonna be on the Scottish/Welsh border!  :hmmm:
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Yet_Another

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on January 17, 2016, 10:35:54 PM
Yes, but where on the border?  :D
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: Yet_Another on January 17, 2016, 10:39:32 PM
Quote from: Zogbert Splod on January 17, 2016, 10:35:54 PM
Yes, but where on the border?  :D
Check out the planning thread, link below.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

weave

Thanks,

Unfortunately I can't access your link as it just comes up with my wife's Google account thing for some reason needing a password (which I don't know) and she has just left for work.

Will try again tonight to see what my computer has done and what you've done and hopefully contribute.

Cheers weave.

martink

Since you can change the colour of the teardrop symbol, why not use this to denote the era? 

Chris Morris

I've added mine. Great idea, thanks for setting it up.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

N-Gauge-US

Quote from: weave on January 18, 2016, 06:47:17 AM
Thanks,

Unfortunately I can't access your link as it just comes up with my wife's Google account thing for some reason needing a password (which I don't know) and she has just left for work.

Will try again tonight to see what my computer has done and what you've done and hopefully contribute.

Cheers weave.

The earlier link should take you to the edit page for the map. Not sure what it asks for the login as I specifically told it you don't need to be logged in to view or edit the map. This link should take you straight to the map and not require login: NGF Layout Locations
https://goo.gl/maps/X7K5tnqbhRv

Let me know if it still pesters you for login information or if it is instantly viewable now. :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations