Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

Not my favourite livery but I had a rake to complete:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

port perran

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

I'm looking for the thumbs up button, but cool rake! :thumbsup:

Found it. ????
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Roy L S

Although the tooling is getting on a bit the Dapol Gresleys are still really nice and very much up there with more modern stuff, priced comparatively keenly too, if you shop around you can get them for under £30. In fact ironically in the case of the buffet less than the original £35 RRP from way back then!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Roy L S on July 21, 2023, 09:57:03 AMAlthough the tooling is getting on a bit the Dapol Gresleys are still really nice and very much up there with more modern stuff, priced comparatively keenly too, if you shop around you can get them for under £30. In fact ironically in the case of the buffet less than the original £35 RRP from way back then!

In my case I'd pre ordered them at £27.54 so as Rails honoured that I saved 22% on RRP
Currently in 'smug mode' :)

Maurice

Two grain hoppers to serve a brewery on my new small layout I am building. I got them on E-Bay. The Kato Steeple cab in the background was to be my primary motive power but it came with knuckle couplers and I haven't figured out how to switch them out yet. I have the Bachmann Plymouth that came with both type of couplers and was easy to switch to the Arnold type. I have a few Peco kits coming, so I hope to expand my fleet shortly. This is my first attempt at British N-scale.

geofff

Have acquired two coaches recently ; one a Farish MK1 (Father's day from daughter) and a Collett. I'm surprised by the difference in livery. Which is more representative of the true colours?

ODRAILS

Quote from: geofff on July 25, 2023, 11:52:56 AMHave acquired two coaches recently ; one a Farish MK1 (Father's day from daughter) and a Collett. I'm surprised by the difference in livery. Which is more representative of the true colours?

Looking at my copy of Colin Boocock's book "British Railways In Colour 1948-1968" I would suggest that the Dapol representation of early BR Red (carmine, crimson or whatever) is closer to the real thing. The Farish colour looks more like post '56 BR maroon.

Newportnobby

I sold off my 'crimson & cream' Farish MK1s as I thought they were too garish so am just retaining the livery you show which I recall was nicknamed 'plum & custard'.
I think the Collett was correct for the time

Hiawatha

I'd say the Farish Mk 1 is much better. The Dapol Collett crimson seems far too bright. The correct colour for British Railways crimson was British Standard BS381C 540 "Crimson" (and for cream I think it was BS381C 352 "Pale Cream" but not 100% certain on this one):

Of course all these colours can't be reproduced perfectly on any RGB monitor, and it also depends on calibration and the brightness setting.

The BR maroon was not the colour named "Maroon" (BS381C 541) but the lighter BS381C 452 "Dark Crimson".

Colour swatches from: https://hextoral.com/side-by-side/

I have also noticed that red colours tend to look much brighter in photos, and cream often much paler. I have seen this with German models painted in the correct RAL colours which look much darker than the prototypes seen in the photos. I don't know exactly why but dark greens and dark blues seem to stay closer to the photos but e.g. the wine red RAL 3004 of German diesels and coaches looks much brighter in pictures, and the beige RAL 1001 becomes a much lighter off-white.
Peter

PennineWagons

I'd vote for the Farish Mk1 as well, although to be fair the crimson is probably a little too dark. I always think the Dapol crimson & cream on the Collett coaches is more like orange & yellow. Strangely the version on their Gresley coaches is completely different and IMHO much more realistic.
PW

gc4946

I'd prefer the Farish version too, because Dapol's "crimson" looks far too bright
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Testing to see if I can upload photos to the forum

Steven B

Crimson & Cream - Dapol's Crimson is too bright/light, Farish is perhaps a little on the dark side but looks better on the model.

The real thing wasn't entirely consistent, and right up to the introduction of vinyls you'd find variations depending on age and use. If the Severn Valley Railway can't get colours to match, I don't think we need to worry too much:

Steven B

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations