Motorized carriage, any use for me?

Started by Reptilian Feline, March 27, 2022, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilian Feline

There is an item for sale at our local version of ebay: https://www.tradera.com/item/344728/533307053/lokaltag
It is listed as an English (sorry for that) motorized carriage that can be fitted with a motor in N scale. I've asked for better pictures, but no reply so far.
Being a bit curious, I decided to see if I could, from a bad photo, figure out what it is.
I think it's a 5-BEL Pullman electric. It has the Pullman livery as far as I can tell, and when I looked up the real thing after stumbling on a model image that looked similar, it just seemed to fit.

I'm still into my LNER WW2 themed layout. I know the Brighton Belle never ran (or I think so) up in Yorkshire, but the LNER website have similarly typed vehicles listed. Would this be of any use to me, and who made the model?

JanW

It looks like a DelPrado 1:160 static model:
https://www.ebid.net/nz/for-sale/model-trains-railways-n-gauge-del-prado-brighton-belle-pullman-carriage-202862925.htm

These can be motorized but then you still only have one car and it is too small at 1:160

I think people use Tomix chassis to power these models.

Jan

chrism

Quote from: Reptilian Feline on March 27, 2022, 03:05:31 PM
I think it's a 5-BEL Pullman electric. It has the Pullman livery as far as I can tell, and when I looked up the real thing after stumbling on a model image that looked similar, it just seemed to fit.

I'm still into my LNER WW2 themed layout. I know the Brighton Belle never ran (or I think so) up in Yorkshire, but the LNER website have similarly typed vehicles listed. Would this be of any use to me, and who made the model?

I reckon you've identified it correctly, and JanW has identified the model manufacturer.

However, IMO, it'd really be stretching Rule 1 to breaking point. Not only did it not run in Yorkshire but it couldn't - it was an electric unit running over the Southern Railway's third rail system so was limited to the Southern Railway/Region routes.

If you like the look of such coaches (who doesn't?) IMO you'd do better to keep an eye out for ordinary loco-hauled Pullman coaches, which were used in Yorkshire on such trains as the Harrogate Pullman, West Riding Pullman and Yorkshire Pullman services.

Reptilian Feline

Thanks guys!

I like the way the Pullmans look, but third rail wasn't used for LNER, as far as I can tell from their website. They do have some nice looking autocars and so on, but with a model that's too small and the wrong type, it would be pointless to try and turn it into something useful.

Richard Taylor

Hello Reptilian (sorry but I don't know your real name)

Revolution Trains in the UK announced last year that they are looking at producing some loco-hauled Pullman carriages of the type that ran on the LNER (& elsewhere) - see

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/all-steel-k-type-pullmans-in-n

They're still in the research stage and the order book isn't open yet, but I for one am eagerly awaiting them!

Richard

Richard Taylor

PS. The LNER *did* have a third rail system - the Tyneside electric system! (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyneside_Electrics)

No Pullman trains... but you can get N gauge 3D printed body shells for the Tyneside cars from the designer "Rue d'Etropal" on Shapeways...

Richard

Safety Engineer

The Metropolitan railway operated a Pullman train to Alysbury which was hauled as far as Rickmansworth by electric locomotives, with steam haulage onwards. The Great Central (a constituent  of the LNER) shared tracks from Harrow on the Hill on wards. There photographs showing the electrically Pullman racing an LNER steam train. Incidentally the Met large tank engines passed to the LNER when London Transport was formed hence LNER (and later BR)haulage north or Rickmansworth.

Safety Engineer

The Met Line always was a it of an odderty, Chiltern Turbos which today operate to Alysbury are equipped with LT tripcocks on the leading bogie. Signalling control is from Marylebone IECC which hands control to Met Line control (located at Baker Street)at Harrow and regains it north of Amersham.

BramptonBranch

Quote from: JanW on March 27, 2022, 03:37:48 PM
It looks like a DelPrado 1:160 static model:
https://www.ebid.net/nz/for-sale/model-trains-railways-n-gauge-del-prado-brighton-belle-pullman-carriage-202862925.htm

These can be motorized but then you still only have one car and it is too small at 1:160

I think people use Tomix chassis to power these models.

Jan
You can always swap the bogies for coach bogies so you have a coupling attached, and buy a pair and at least they can be hauled,used in sidings (plain old rule 1.)
Dont look massivley out of scale at first glance and are usuall cheap!

Andy
You can never have to many Warships!

Richard Taylor

Quote from: Safety Engineer on March 27, 2022, 07:32:29 PM
The Metropolitan railway operated a Pullman train to Alysbury which was hauled as far as Rickmansworth by electric locomotives, with steam haulage onwards. The Great Central (a constituent  of the LNER) shared tracks from Harrow on the Hill on wards. There photographs showing the electrically Pullman racing an LNER steam train. Incidentally the Met large tank engines passed to the LNER when London Transport was formed hence LNER (and later BR)haulage north or Rickmansworth.

Ah, but we were talking about third rail systems.  LT is four-rail...  :D

Safety Engineer

If you like Pullman cars how about the GF mk1's or the earlier matchboarded Pullmans produced many years ago by Farish.
Martin

Bealman

Unfortunately, those Poole Farish Pullmans are like hen's teeth. I've been trying to get my hands on some for years!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Reptilian Feline

When Pullman designed those coaches, he really knew what he was doing. They are gorgeous!

Electric locos and railcars would be fine, age-wise, but after looking through the various options, I think I'll stick to steam, diesel and petrol. No need to have separate tracks or overhead electric wires.

Thanks again for all your input!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations