Water for a beginner

Started by Uplander, August 07, 2022, 03:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Q

I've used and still do use many layers of yacht varnish.

And so have plenty spare to use in the burns on Tiree.
In this case I was using some left over water based floor varnish, which dries clear.

For deeper water I've recently tried resin used for fibreglass with some success, I was looking for the deep see through peaty brown loch water of the Highlands and Islands.
You do have to use the particular dyes for the resin though..
[]

ntpntpntp

I've played with the clear craft PVA from The Works.   It's definitely not as sticky as a proper woodworking PVA, more like a paper glue than a woodworking glue but that's fair enough.

Don't go too thick with the poured layers or it will create a meniscus at the edges.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Uplander

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 07, 2022, 06:39:16 PM
Don't go too thick with the poured layers or it will create a meniscus at the edges.

Had to Google this :doh:

port perran

As for yacht varnish, I use a thick brush and let the varnish find its own level.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Uplander

Quote from: port perran on August 07, 2022, 07:52:49 PM
As for yacht varnish, I use a thick brush and let the varnish find its own level.

Thanks for that - as a matter of interest, do you sand between layers?

Bigmac

i just use cheap white pva glue from poundland--it costs a £!--and dries clear.  I built up several layers just pouring it on where i wanted it--and let each layer set clear first.  You can create quite a clear depth to the water--as well as adding weeds junk and crap as you go.

water tower---
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

port perran

Quote from: Uplander on August 07, 2022, 08:06:24 PM
Quote from: port perran on August 07, 2022, 07:52:49 PM

Thanks for that - as a matter of interest, do you sand between layers?
No, I think that's just going to make a mess
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Jon898

Another product to try is artist's gloss medium.  Water based, so easy clean up.

Jon

PGN

My river on Neraland 2 is brown HUmbrol enamel with about a dozen coats of varnish.

I'll try to get a picture posted tomorrow for you ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Bealman

Just wondering if you have checked the water section of the Scenery board, Uplander?  :thumbsup:

I have used varnish on my own layout, as it pre-dates the excellent Woodland Scenics products.

One trick I did learn from America though, is to not paint the water blue. It is not blue. In fact if you look at photos, water often appears black, especially if it's deep.

I therefore use black, which, with a gloss finish, acts as a low grade mirror that reflects it's surroundings, as real water does.

This is a flooded quarry on my layout:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Uplander

Quote from: Jon898 on August 07, 2022, 08:57:37 PM
Another product to try is artist's gloss medium.  Water based, so easy clean up.

Jon
Thanks - strangely, this is exactly what my wife who dabbles with paints suggested at the outset.  She also tells me I don't listen.  :laugh:

Quote from: Bealman on August 08, 2022, 02:12:30 AM
Just wondering if you have checked the water section of the Scenery board, Uplander?  :thumbsup:

I just searched forum-wide for the word "water" - will have a look there too though.  Your quarry looks pretty amazing. Although I started off thinking about products like Woodland Scenics I am now minded to try one of the solutions suggested herein.

Look forward to the picture PGN.

As ever ... thanks for all the help.

Simon

Bealman

I copied techniques in the American Model Railroader magazine, which frequently mentioned gloss medium. I had no idea what this was, so I used gloss varnish instead.

Tip: apply a layer, let dry, then another and so on ad infintum - don't pour it. The top surface forms a skin, but the stuff underneath doesn't dry!  :thumbsup:

Uplander

Quote from: Bealman on August 08, 2022, 08:01:11 AM
Tip: apply a layer, let dry, then another and so on ad infintum - don't pour it. The top surface forms a skin, but the stuff underneath doesn't dry!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Bealman - when you say "don't pour" I guess you brush thin layers on? Probably an obvious question but I would like to get it right if I go down this route. Also, are you in the "don't sand" between layers camp?

Thanks

Simon

Bealman

Absolutely, when it comes to sanding.

Yes, a layer at an time, just a brushful. Let it dry, make sure there's no debris or dust on it, and away you go again.

However, if I was starting out now, I'd definitely try the WS products and follow their video tutorials.

Incidentally, on all of the water features on my layout, I followed tips from US mags.... I don't model the stream or river bed at all. A flat piece of wood painted black. Apply layers of gloss, and let the reflections do the work.

Black sounds drastic, but to my eyes it works!

devonjames

Has anyone tried using Modge Podge (Gloss)? I've read a few good reports of using it and was going to give it a try for my next bit of seawater that I need to create. 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations