Birmingham 2022

Started by Bealman, August 02, 2022, 10:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

I've been holding off on this, but can't help myself. Emma Mckeon is the best Commonwealth Games athlete of all time, and her parents live round the corner from me  :thumbsup:

Multiple  :thumbsup:.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Whilst in no way wishing to detract from the accomplishments of the swimmers those records always feel slightly hollow because they have so many events they can compete in. It would be like the athletics including the 100m, 100m starting with your left foot, 100m without starting blocks etc etc.

Bealman

I'm sorry, but that girl is a champion swimmer, full stop. Forget her Olympic achievements already?

emjaybee

Quote from: njee20 on August 02, 2022, 10:26:21 AM
Whilst in no way wishing to detract from the accomplishments of the swimmers those records always feel slightly hollow because they have so many events they can compete in. It would be like the athletics including the 100m, 100m starting with your left foot, 100m without starting blocks etc etc.

Feel free to have a crack yourself and see how you get on.

Let's be positive about the world shall we?

They're all fantastic, deserving athletes.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

Thank you. Emma's parents actually own an indoor swimming centre just a minute's drive away from my house.

We have a lot of pride in her here!  :thumbsup:

njee20

Yep, incredible athletes for sure. Never said anything to the contrary. That's kinda my point though - focusing on her being the most decorated Commonwealth Games athlete slightly undermines the accomplishment when you see it's a list of swimmers. I certainly don't think swimming is 'easy', as no sport is at a top level.

Quote from: Bealman on August 02, 2022, 10:31:28 AM
I'm sorry, but that girl is a champion swimmer, full stop. Forget her Olympic achievements already?

I've never heard of her, so I didn't forget anything. But as I said, yes clearly a stellar athlete.

emjaybee

As opposed to cycling...

Riding around an indoor track on your own...
Riding around an indoor track with one other rider...
Riding around an indoor track with a pack of riders...
Riding around an indoor track slowly, then quickly...
Riding around an indoor track as a team...
Riding in the countryside on your own...
Riding in the countryside as a pair...
Riding in the countryside as a team...
Riding in the countryside as a pack...

How about a new rule. As well as, 'if you've nothing to say, say nothing' on the forum, how about, 'if you've nothing nice/positive to say, say nothing'?

:smackedface:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

If you read what I wrote and not what you want to think I said you'll see I agree, that she (and every competitor) is a superb athlete. I'm not sure anything I've said "isn't nice". Interestingly they reduced the number of track cycling events a few years ago (Beijing maybe?) because it was deemed a bit daft that one rider could be quite so dominant. Now there are typically 2-3 events where you can compete. In swimming it's often 10+. So the IOC agree with me. I'll confess I've no idea what's on the program for the cycling at the Commonwealth Games, but if we're being really pedantic the track/road stuff is akin to the open water/pool swimming, very rare that anyone does both in the same event to any level of success, although people have succeeded in both historically.

Anyway, it was a point of note on the records being set, you can't really compare Ian Thorpe to Usain Bolt. To say that "Ian Thorpe is better because he's won more medals" does both a disservice really. I didn't really expect people to get their knickers in such a twist about it. I'm going to go and watch some of the Games!

Newportnobby

It also needs remembering the huge difference between Olympics and Commonwealth games in that Olympics contain just 'Team GB' whereas Commonwealth has separate teams for each country i.e. England, N. Ireland, Scotland and Wales (note - purely alphabetical order) along with Isle of Man and Guernsey.
I've not watched a great deal but the track cycling has been hugely exciting (apart from some horrible crashes) and I just hope yesterday was not Laura Kenny bowing out of the sport.

njee20

Yes, it's great that it makes it that bit more accessible. I've heard two athletes from Nauru this morning. They've got a total team of 16. The country has a population just over 10,000. So 0.16% of the country are competing at the Games!

Bealman

Yes, that's a great thing about the Commonwealth Games. More accessible for the little people. I always have a chuckle at the local bowling club where I drink at the infighting that goes on, but it is in the realms of possibility that one of them could represent their country in the games!

There sure have been some nasty spills in the velodrome, Mick. Amazing picture in the paper of that cyclist going over the fence into the crowd!

Bealman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations