Wifi range extender help please

Started by TrevL, July 18, 2022, 01:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpendle

Just out of idle interest what speeds do your various ISP's provide to your house's?

Out here in the Colorado sticks (5 miles from town), we get 25MBps over a radio link, but we can still stream on 2 TV's simultaneously.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

TrevL

Quote from: jpendle on July 20, 2022, 12:45:12 AM
Just out of idle interest what speeds do your various ISP's provide to your house's?

Out here in the Colorado sticks (5 miles from town), we get 25MBps over a radio link, but we can still stream on 2 TV's simultaneously.

Regards,

John P

I'm getting 76.10 Mbps download, and 19.47 upload, but if I was willing to pay the extra, my ISP could supply me upto 300Mbps. (Allegedly ;))
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Yet_Another

Yeah, I'm with Virgin because they're the only ones offering over 10Mb/s. All the others were advertising more, but as soon as they knew where it was, dropped to 10.

Currently on 100 (usually 110), but could get more if we needed it.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

njee20

Quote from: jpendle on July 20, 2022, 12:45:12 AM

It's definitely diminishing returns. We pay for 500mbps, and typically get 250-300 in normal use. I do notice that stuff downloads a bit more quickly than when we had 50mbps, but honestly once stuff streams adequately it's hardly life changing.

ntpntpntp

I'm on an 80/20 download/upload package, fibre to the cabinet at the end of the road then copper to the house (less than 100m).    Runs full speed and stable and supports two or three of us working remotely from home and/or 4K streaming/gaming. I spend all day on a VPN to my office and the only problems are at their end :) 

I could have full fibre to the premises at 300, 600, 900 speeds - they keep turning up at my door trying to push it :) and I know some people in our street have gone for it.  I'm sure it's great  but would cost more and I just don't need that much bandwidth.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bigmac

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 20, 2022, 11:57:27 AM
I'm on an 80/20 download/upload package, fibre to the cabinet at the end of the road then copper to the house (less than 100m).    Runs full speed and stable and supports two or three of us working remotely from home and/or 4K streaming/gaming. I spend all day on a VPN to my office and the only problems are at their end :) 

I could have full fibre to the premises at 300, 600, 900 speeds - they keep turning up at my door trying to push it :) and I know some people in our street have gone for it.  I'm sure it's great  but would cost more and I just don't need that much bandwidth.

my full fibre deal is £23 a month--with 100 up and down guaranteed. My phone only goes up to 72--even by the router--but i get that down the garden ok--100 ft away.  I was with talk talk before--fibre to the street cabinet--i was getting 30 down--£25.50, with all the "after sales" aggro thrown in.  Try leaving talk talk--its like the hotel california.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

ntpntpntp

I'm with PlusNet - have been since the days of dial-up :)  They've been perfectly fine so never felt the need to transfer to another provider.  PN are a bit late to the party and just starting to say they'll be supporting full fibre (though they did trial it a few years ago), we'll see what offers they come up with as a package deal including the land-line phone over voip (or whatever it needs).

It's not that long ago that I moved the land-line to PN instead of BT, I don't really want to have to separate the phone away from PN again if they don't offer a phone and full-fibre broadband package which is what some info seems to be saying.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations