The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

A couple of new paintings recently completed.

The hut was photographed on my recent trip to Bavaria. Acrylic on canvas 80 cm x 40 cm

I took the snap of the Elbe at dusk while cycling home from giving a yoga class this Autumn.
Acrylic on canvas 120cm x 40cm

I am moving to a new room in February. It has a built in bunk bed. Perhaps I will build a railway up there? :angel:

TrevL

Some serious artistic talent there Matt, I honestly thought I was looking at photographs until I blew them up and looked closely.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Dave_K

Excellent painting Matt. You captured the shadow of the hut in the first one spot on.

dannyboy

Have to agree - excellent painting Matt. When I saw the picture of the hut, I was expecting to scroll down a bit and view the painting!   :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

mika

Great paintings, Matt. I love the Dresden view.

Cheers,
Michael

Globibahn

Hi all,

Thank you for the very kind comments about my paintings! Very glad that they appeal.  :) :beers:

Globibahn

Wishing all on N Gauge Forum a sooper-dooper New Year. May 2023 be a year filled with trains and modelling for you!

Dave_K

Quote from: Globibahn on December 30, 2022, 08:03:58 AM
Wishing all on N Gauge Forum a sooper-dooper New Year. May 2023 be a year filled with trains and modelling for you!

You too Matt, good luck with new room and sorting out your Mum's needs and help.

Globibahn

Hi all,

Sorry for the long silence!

Been a bit mad with moving to my new room, but I have finally settled in and all is well.

I have started work on a painting involving this rail bridge (situated close by):

On closer inspection I noticed that the width of the steel struts is not equal on all of the triangles forming the bridge. At first I thought I was going mad!

I went to visit the bridge again and viewed it side on, revealing that this is indeed the case.

So the formation looks like this:

Explanations on postcards to me please! :D

Globibahn

Quote from: Dave_K on December 30, 2022, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: Globibahn on December 30, 2022, 08:03:58 AM

You too Matt, good luck with new room and sorting out your Mum's needs and help.

Cheers Dave, sorry saw this but forgot to respond! :-[

Alcazar

You have a Warren truss bridge there. According to https://www.machines4u.com.au/mag/4-types-of-truss-bridges-which-is-worth-the-weight/, "Because the forces move quite substantially to different members (or parts) of the bridge depending on where the load is sitting, it is important to understand the kinds of traffic your Warren truss bridge will be subject to—and to compensate with stronger members in the relevant areas."

Had an enjoyable half hour looking at videos on how to calculate the forces in truss bridges before I found that!

Peter

PS: Did you enjoy Fasching - does Dresden have it? Here we have another week - Buurefasnacht (farmer's carnival) at the weekend and next Monday at 4:00am Basel's "three most beautiful days of the year" begin.

Dave_K

Nice to hear you're still about and moved in okay.

That bridge looks like the beams are thicker at the outside and gradually get thinner towards the middle then back out again, so each 'triangle' is a slightly different thickness. Good luck with the painting.

Globibahn

Quote from: Alcazar on February 23, 2023, 03:04:05 PM
You have a Warren truss bridge there.

Aha, I never knew they were called as such! Good explanation too, cheers for that. You also see them inverted, if I am not mistaken, with the tracks running along the top.

There was some Fasching activity but it didn't seem to be that huge of a deal hear in Dresden. I understand it is to drive away the spirits of winter. A good idea in principle!

Globibahn

Quote from: Dave_K on February 23, 2023, 05:14:38 PM
Nice to hear you're still about and moved in okay.

That bridge looks like the beams are thicker at the outside and gradually get thinner towards the middle then back out again, so each 'triangle' is a slightly different thickness. Good luck with the painting.

Thanks Dave. Yes I think you are spot on there!

I am really fond of my new room. Here it is:

Viewed from up on the "high bed".

And my desk with a couple of my latest paintings of the Elbe:

Globibahn

I am delighted to be back in Blighty for a couple of weeks, visiting mum.

Things I am most please about are unpreccedented access to high quality cheddar cheese. I had always taken this for granted.

And this month's 'Today's Railways' is superb with the article on the RE460. There is just no magazine in Germany as good IMO.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations