The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

Quote from: GScaleBruce on October 06, 2022, 03:22:39 PM

I'm guessing there's not much need for a fence between a cemetery and a railway, though? Shouldn't be too many trespassers...

Now that really is gallows humour!!! ;D

Gordon

Quote from: Globibahn on September 15, 2022, 12:33:52 PM
I once had a thread mentioning the lack of safety barriers near tracks on the continent. Here is a local cemetry next to the main line to Leipzig from Dresden. No fence!

Brings to mind a thought: where is the most 'incredible' European railway line without fencing.
My candidate is a place I found with my nephew in 2015 when he was living in Munich and we had teamed up to drive to the Dresden steam festival

Northwest of Munich the main line to Augsburg is 4 track high speed completely modernised, carrying everything from heavy freight to ICE high speed trains...no fence...

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Hiawatha

And have you found proper cheddar yet? The British Milk Marketing Board must have a close look at your adventures as since you complained they've have begun advertising cheddar cheese on German TV.  :)

Peter

Globibahn

Quote from: Hiawatha on October 07, 2022, 08:00:35 AM
And have you found proper cheddar yet? The British Milk Marketing Board must have a close look at your adventures as since you complained they've have begun advertising cheddar cheese on German TV.  :)

The problem is I am on a budget, so always shopping in Lidl. I may however make a dedicated trip to Kaufland, as I think they stock Cathedral City!

It has been nice autumnal weather of late. I invested in some Ortlieb panniers for my bike, they do make a massive difference, especially for loading up on supermarket shopping.

Yesterday I went on an exploration to the former Dresden docks. You can imagine how the were in their glory days, bustling with barge/ crane/ rail activity. While the shipping aspect is down to virtually nil, there is still a good amount of rail freight shunting, as the sidings are in use by Captrain. I do like the Captain livery. The locos were mainly shunting 'EAOS-ish' open-type wagons. Will no doubt return here to observe more goings-on.

Globibahn

@ntpntpntp I know you were looking for a suitable small crane for moving those paving slabs for your new patio build. Would this do the job?  :smiley-laughing:

ntpntpntp

Haha!  Way back in 2002/3 my good friend Nigel scratch-built this in N scale, it was presented to ASN for the Museo Scala Enne in Florence when we took my layout to the Stuttgart show in 2003 :D

We have seen evidence of the model installed on the museum layout.  I understand that sadly the museum had to close and re-locate a few years later, not sure of the current situation.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Globibahn

Quote from: ntpntpntp on October 15, 2022, 11:44:21 AM

We have seen evidence of the model installed on the museum layout.  I understand that sadly the museum had to close and re-locate a few years later, not sure of the current situation.

Cool, smashing model that! :thumbsup:

Globibahn

Bought a tiny little gift for my mum - you put a tea light behind and the Dresden Frauenkirche cathedral lights up.

It cost 20€ which was fine. What was not fine was sending it, which cost a further 20€! :veryangry:

And you have to write the price of the gift on there, which seems fundamentally wrong.

Globibahn

I'm off shortly on a trip to Lübeck.

Travel to and from Dresden is by ICE, IC and Flixtrain via Berlin. Very excited about the Flixtrain component (on return journey on the Hamburg (Büchen)/ Berlin stretch).

My Mainzelmännchen will be coming along too for company. He likes marzipan so Lübeck is ideal! ;D

Jim Easterbrook

Lübeck's one of my favourite places. The Schiffergesellschaft does a very good Labskaus.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Globibahn

Just arrived back from Lübeck last night. It was a good trip but I feel totally miffed with DB/FlixTrain, for reasons given below!

I set off bright and early Tuesday morning from Dresden Neustadt. It was an ICE 1 non-stop to Berlin HB. The ICE 1 was looking very tired on the inside, with chipped paint on the window sills. However, I am very fond of them. Then I had a change in Berlin for an IC to Büchen (on the Hamburg-Berlin main line). It was a train destined for Sylt. The IC coaches looked very nice on the outside but inside they were somewhat falling apart. The seats were old and several were stuck in the reclined position. One of the carriages was totally cordoned-off due to broken AC.

At Büchen I changed for a regional train and was whisked to Lübeck. The whole journey took 5 hours.

I checked into my hostel the SchickSAAL (a word play on 'chic saloon' and 'good fortune'  :)). It was located in an alley way by the docks, which used to be Lübeck's red light district! https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemensstra%C3%9Fe_(L%C3%BCbeck)

The hostel was extremely good and very peaceful compared to big city hostels.

Over the next couple of days I met up a lot with my language learning partner Jannika, who lived nearby. We walked all over exploring all the many hidden courtyards and residential alley ways, which are (surprisingly) open to the public.

Yesterday on my return trip I had an unpleasant surprise due to DB. The return journey was the exact reverse of the outward journey. However the connection from Büchen to Berlin was the Hamburg-Berlin Flix train. The train arrived and it was formed of the old D-Zug type IC coaches, painted in the older FlixTrain green and black livery. I had to help some girls who couldn't pull the big heavy door open! The ride quality was very wobbly, which I found great fun. The interior was brand new and extremely smart compared to the DB IC interiors.

Now, my ticket, which I had printed it on A4, had the full return itinerary printed on it (just as for the outward trip). When the ticket collector came he said that the FlixTrain portion was not paid for, it was just a connection suggestion. I couldn't believe it! When I read the small print I could see he was right. I then had to pay 50 Euros for a FlixTrain ticket, more than what I had paid for the whole round trip (thinking it was the full price)! Aaaaarggh! :veryangry:

When making my booking, I just assumed the FlixTrain option appeared due to an integrated ticketing system. Not only I had made this misassumption, 3 seperate people in my immediate vicinity were also then charged for an additional ticket.

Anyway, it was a splendid trip and wasn't affected too much by the ticketing nonsense. The final leg from Berlin to Dresden Neustadt was by a modern generation ICE.

My local station at dawn. :)

Berlin HB - my DB IC to Büchen - very tired furnishing in the coaches!

Lübeck station

Walking in the park

One of the many hidden alleyways one can explore

Freshly made Marzipan

A lifting bridge

My travel companion, looking very pleased with himself as always. ;D

View from one of the church towers

My sketch of the hostel kitchen

The hostel in the former red-light district

There are some very large cranes at the docks! :goggleeyes:

Dave_K

Interesting write up, those alleyways look so inviting to explore! Pity about the FlixTrain ticket fiasco. I always worry about my ticket not being right or some such when in Switzerland but never have an issue with it. Thanks for sharing the photos too. I could do with a language learning buddy!

Globibahn

Quote from: Dave_K on November 15, 2022, 09:48:51 PM
Interesting write up, those alleyways look so inviting to explore! Pity about the FlixTrain ticket fiasco. I always worry about my ticket not being right or some such when in Switzerland but never have an issue with it. Thanks for sharing the photos too. I could do with a language learning buddy!

Cheers Dave, yes it is well worth a visit.

And language laerning partners are also to be recommended! :thumbsup: ;)

swisstrains

Quote from: Globibahn on November 18, 2022, 04:09:29 PM
And language laerning partners are also to be recommended! :thumbsup: ;)

I think you also need an English one Matt. :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations