Poole Farish rare items - are there any?

Started by belstone, July 27, 2015, 11:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belstone

A trio of rarities (or possibly "never mades") from the early days. In November 1970 Farish were advertising some new wagons "coming soon" - 3-plank open, horsebox, fish van, cattle van, mineral wagon and Toad brake van all made it to production and stayed around for a very long time.  But they were also promising a conflat with container, twin bolster wagon and a  5 plank with tarpaulin rail. These three were still being advertised as "coming soon"  in February 1972 but I can't recall seeing an example of any of them.  Did they make it into production?

javlinfaw7

I acquired the lMR austerity set on e bay along with a peco set track starter set in nearly new condition for less than £60 about 2 years back

Dorsetmike

4P compounds aren't exactly plentiful, the occasional one appears on Ebay.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Skyline2uk

Another "Limited Edition" (red label, numbered certificate, 500 made) is the Farish Class 47 in purple and white Porterbrook. My one is one of my better buys at £40.00.

I know there was also a purple Portabrook Deltic (not sure if Limited Edition or just "Special Edition").

There was a "Special Edition" (Silver label) EWS 08, which I bought new (circa £28.00!!). Other ones I know of include EWS Class 31 (not sure red or silver label) and a couple of class 56's in EWS and Load Hall.  Though I could be wrong about the 56's being either "Limited" or "Special".

Incidentally, I am sure there is another thread on here talking about just this subject....(Mods?)

Skyline2uk

Roy L S

The blue "Wagon Lits" Pullmans are as rare as rocking horse "doo doo" the Brake Ends even more so. I know only one person who has a complete rake.

The Merchant Navy "Channel Packet" in SR Green with Golden Arrow flags and arrows in packaging with arrow and green outer sleeve ditto (I had one back in the Seventies when a Teenager - wish I had it now!).

Not quite as rare but still hard to find the original 94xx from circa 1970 with the first type of chassis (I have two).

Roy

Adam1701D

There were a few specials from Farish that seem to be quite sought after, a 3-car Class 101 in Strathclyde Orange, LMS Maroon Crab and Purple Deltic 9016 with modified headlights.

The Purple Deltic bodyshells ended up on the Bachmann stand very cheap a few years ago, somewhat diluting the rarity value.

I also recall Farish did a VERY limited run of Class 37s in GIF / EWS Blue, as used in Spain - can anyone confirm?
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

CarriageShed

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 27, 2015, 07:34:11 PM

Very true, and the LMS crimson lake version always goes for a comparatively high price. Mind you, the S&DJR versions are also pretty rare and usually bring a high price, even though they're inaccurate for the S&D.

Dorsetmike

Quoteeven though they're inaccurate for the S&D.

I've read somewhere that they did try a compound, from what I recall the driver was not too familiar with compounds and made a bit of a mess of starting out of Bournemouth West.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

CarriageShed

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 28, 2015, 01:35:54 PM
I've read somewhere that they did try a compound, from what I recall the driver was not too familiar with compounds and made a bit of a mess of starting out of Bournemouth West.

So we could justify a Midland red compound on the S&D on the basis that it's part of a one-off test (that we'll repeat every operating session). Now that's a handy excuse for another loco!

DesertHound

Another one to throw into the mix guys is Poole class 20's in BR Railfreight livery. Two running numbers I believe. One extremely rare (perhaps fifteen made, I'm not sure), and the other rare, with perhaps 150 made.

Some 47's are also exceptionally rare. Try finding 47 378 in Railfreight Grey. Also there are some Virgin (47's I believe) specimens presented directly to the board of the train company, as far as I know.

The Porterbrooks, both the class 47 and Deltic pop up on ebay from time to time.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Dr Al

Quote from: DesertHound on July 28, 2015, 02:03:39 PM
and the other rare, with perhaps 150 made.

Yes, number 20215, mentioned earlier in thread. There has been reports of another number (possible 20132 or 20137, I don't recall now) but I've seen no evidence that it ever did actually exist yet. 47378 said to have made 10 only before changing to 'Silcock Express' version.

One of those Virgin 47s sold on ebay a good few years ago - made something like £150.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

SidmouthJunction

Quote from: Dr Al on July 28, 2015, 02:12:52 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on July 28, 2015, 02:03:39 PM
and the other rare, with perhaps 150 made.

Yes, number 20215, mentioned earlier in thread. There has been reports of another number (possible 20132) but I've seen no evidence that it ever did actually exist yet. 47378 said to have made 10 only before changing to 'Silcock Express version.

One of those Virgin 47s sold on ebay a good few years ago - made something like £150.

Cheers,

Alan

Which of the Virgin 47s is the rarity? My dad has one named 'Graham Farish' (don't remember the number), which I believe was a limited edition. Is that the one to which you are referring?

paulprice

Quote from: Pete33 on July 28, 2015, 12:46:40 PM
Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 27, 2015, 07:34:11 PM

Very true, and the LMS crimson lake version always goes for a comparatively high price. Mind you, the S&DJR versions are also pretty rare and usually bring a high price, even though they're inaccurate for the S&D.

I have 4 at the moment, two maroon and 2 black BUT I WANT MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE

Dr Al

Sadly not...I think the ones in question were named after directors etc...iirc one was "Chris Green" for example.

The class 47s you describe is far less rare I'm afraid and was just normal production I think ( certainly didn't come in a limited run box, silver label or any such)

Hth,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

paulprice

I recently painted a silver label 08 into LMS black recently, at least I turned it into a useful loco rather than the horrible EWS livery farish painted it in :P

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations