The Mixed Emotions Thread

Started by Yet_Another, December 04, 2018, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

OK, so here goes:

I'm going into hospital in a couple of days for a fairly routine, but not small, operation. If it's successful, I'll be out the same day, off work for a couple of weeks, then Bob's your uncle, all is well with the world. That's the most likely outcome.

However, as with all of these things, there are risks. One of the risks, according to the leaflet I was given at the pre-op, is death.

That concentrates the mind.

It's only a tiny chance, but if the risk is as quoted in the leaflet, I'm 1000 times more likely to die in this operation than I am to win the lottery.

There you go: happy and unhappy. Probably best not to think too hard about it.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Bealman

Good luck, mate. Don't worry too much, you'll be fine.

A good mate of mine died suddenly of a stroke two weeks ago. I could get hit crossing the road.

Take every day as it comes.

My brother-in-law had major heart surgery a few months back which had major complications during the procedure. He is well on the way to recovery.

They're professionals. They'll look after you.  :thumbsup:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Yet_Another on December 04, 2018, 11:17:05 PM
OK, so here goes:
is death.

I'm 1000 times more likely to die in this operation than I am to win the lottery.

think too hard about it.
Yep, they all include death !

Think about it - - as a one-time student of statistics :--  your chances of winning the lottery are vanishingly small
ergo
1000 time vanishingly small is, still, very very small aka pdsmall :)

See you the other side  :thumbsup: :)

themadhippy

QuoteI'm 1000 times more likely to die in this operation than I am to win the lottery

45057.474 to 1 then, could be worth placing  a few quid as an each way bet
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

jpendle

You should only buy your lottery ticket on the day of the drawing, any earlier and you have more chance of dying than winning.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

javlinfaw7

They told me the same in June when I had my Aortic valve replaced . It is something that they make you aware of but the odds are probably better of being hit by a bus.

It's the same with medicines the blood thinner I am on states can cause sudden death on the leaflet but it certain if I don't take  it .

Alex

Yet_Another

Quote from: MalcolmInN on December 05, 2018, 02:05:24 AM
Quote from: Yet_Another on December 04, 2018, 11:17:05 PM
OK, so here goes:
is death.

I'm 1000 times more likely to die in this operation than I am to win the lottery.

think too hard about it.
Yep, they all include death !

Think about it - - as a one-time student of statistics :--  your chances of winning the lottery are vanishingly small
ergo
1000 time vanishingly small is, still, very very small aka pdsmall :)

See you the other side  :thumbsup: :)
Yes, I agree, and I'm at the low end of most of the risk factors, so all should be good. But there are outliers.

I think the difference is the fact that this is a one-off event, with everything spelled out. One tends not to think about it when getting into the car.

So I am mostly positive, but still...
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Bealman

They can be a bunch of jokers on here, which is ok. Just tying to reduce the stress.

All will be well.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

javlinfaw7

From experience the help you get in recovery Is second to none , and we do have some of the most skilled surgeons in the world. It will be fine.

Alex

The Q

You'll  be fine..

There are about 1000 people in this country that are "susceptible to malignant hyperpyrexia under anesthesia " in the UK.  That gives a 50/50 chance of surviving a normal anaesthetic operation.  I've had two...

RailGooner

I wish you the very best for a successful op' and a speedy recovery Tony. :beers:

Only natural that you have mixed emotions going into this. In todays highly litigious world, we're advised of any known risk, no matter the low odds of that risk manifesting - if a risk is known it's disclosed. The odds are massively in your favour for a successful outcome.

jpendle

Assuming by a couple of days you mean this week or next, don't forget to let us know how it went, once you are up to it.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

dannyboy

Hope things go well for you and like John P says, keep us informed.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Yet_Another

Yep, thanks, I'm in first thing tomorrow, so just water and pills for breakfast.
Tony

port perran

Quote from: Yet_Another on December 05, 2018, 07:49:09 PM
Yep, thanks, I'm in first thing tomorrow, so just water and pills for breakfast.
I wish you well for tomorrow.
Take it easy.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations