Placement of Power and isolating fish plates

Started by Galactus, February 20, 2020, 11:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactus

I am creating a layout using Peco Setrack 80 and plan to have four controllers. I attach my latest version and would ask if anyone can verify my placing of power and isolating fish plates to ensure correct operation of the four tracks/areas. Any help would be appreciated.

Newportnobby

Hi Galactus, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Wow - that's a busy layout. It would help if you could tell whether you'll be using DC or DCC as, with DCC you need extra feeds to keep any loco lights working full time.

barnyswain

I assumed DC as it said 4 controllers

Is this your 1st layout? it looks full of action :)

Barny

Galactus

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your responses.
I am using DC and this is my second layout but my first in N gauge. Its for my granddaughter (8 years old) and I.
Having built the first two inner loops I am having difficulty controlling two engines so now need to install the appropriate isolating joiners to ensure the loops are kept apart from each other. 

Chuffington

Assuming the bit marked as P4 area is a goods yard, maybe think about adding a headshunt to avoid shunting from the inner P1 loop ?

ntpntpntp

I've annotated your diagram with what I think are the *bare minimum* feed positions (blue/green triangles) and where you need isolating fishplates (red lines) across both rails to separate two different controllers.

I must stress that this is from just a quick look at your track plan, applying the basic rule of placing the feeds at the toe of point formations so that power can flow up into sidings etc.  I may have missed something!

It's quite possible that the layout would benefit from a few more duplicate feeds, eg. on the "3rd controller" line on the way round to the high level terminus (so add another feed at about 9 o'clock)?

Oh an I agree about adding a headshunt to the  "4th controller area" so that you can actually shunt in and out of the sidings without encroaching on the "1st controller" trackage.  Mind you, this isn't exactly a large layout so you don't have a lot of space to accommodate a headshunt.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

springwood

I've effectively got 4 controllers (or 'cabs') on my layout which is divided into four blocks/sections, i.e. up and down mainlines, branch line and depot/TMD. I'm dc and have wired all four sections via 2-pole, 6-way rotary switches so that, in theory, cab1 can run a train in any or all four sections (as can cabs 2 to 4). There are master on/off switches governing power to the track so that no two cabs can have a section at the same time. This is classic 'cab control' in analogue (or dc) operations. See one or two of my earlier threads for diagrams etc - layout is called Springwood. I think you will need to 'break' the layout into distinct sections too..perhaps with names

ntpntpntp

Yes I would agree that "Cab Control" gives you more flexibility under DC and it's how I wire my layouts, but I didn't get the impression that @Galactus would want to go to that level of electrical sophistication on a first N layout.

The main objective here would be to ensure each controller's trackage is isolated from the others. When you wish to cross from one line to another simply set both controllers to the same direction and speed and drive across.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Galactus

Hi again everyone,
Thank you so much for your input.
The annotations by ntpntpntp are pretty much in line with my thinking and I will have more power connections at strategic points particularly on the P3 section. To be honest I do not think I will need a head shunt (never heard of this but now I have looked up the description it does sound useful) as the main purpose of  area 4 is to allow storage of wagons and carriages for use by other engines. This is my first attempt at more than one controller and the plan is that my granddaughter and I will be able to have separate controllers and be able to pass engines and trains to each other. I will certainly be looking at Springwood's diagrams for his layout.

ntpntpntp

@Galactus  Looking at the plan some more, a duplicate "1st controller" feed at 9 o'clock would be a benefit as it would be at the toe of the point into the freight yard.

I'd be wary of adding too many extra feeds in the sidings otherwise you won't be able to isolate or park a loco simply by turning the point against it.  You'd need to add on-off switches to one wire of those siding feeds. Peco Setrack points are "power routing" (ie power only flows to the selected route), so might as well make use of their capabilities  :D

Galactus

Hi ntpntpntp,
Yes I agree about not having too many power inputs in the sidings, I suspect I can cope with just one.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations