De-greasing prior to painting.

Started by emjaybee, May 26, 2019, 06:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Has anyone got any suggestions for de-greasing plastic models prior to spraying with acrylic rattle cans?

I've spent a LOT of time on a particular piece and if I male-chicken it up on painting I  reckon I'd probably do myself some permanent damage.

:-X
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

guest311

I tend to just wash / scrub with washing up liquid and warm water, rinse well and then leave to dry.

emjaybee

I'm wondering about wiping it down with IPA ( not the beer), this doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on a test piece of plastic with 'bits' glued to it.

Anybody got any thoughts?
Brookline build thread:

RailGooner

I'd go with 37025. The important thing is don't touch it with bare skin after washing, as skin releases natural oils.

emjaybee

Quote from: RailGooner on May 26, 2019, 09:49:17 PM
I'd go with 37025. The important thing is don't touch it with bare skin after washing, as skin releases natural oils.

The complicating factor is that I have to mask up to spray.

I'm not going to be able to mask up without touching the part I'm going to spray, which is why I'm trying to find a way to degrease without washing.
Brookline build thread:

RailGooner

After the final wash and rinse ready to paint, I'll try never to touch a model again with bare hands. I wear Nitrile examination gloves. They can be a bit frustrating until you get used to them as masking tapes love to stick to them.

I get mine from work. Which reminds me I'm going to have to stock up before I leave! In lieu of gloves, wash and rinse your hands thoroughly and keep contact with the model to a minimum. Wherever possible try to use some form of barrier: paper tissue; cling film; a square of masking tape where you want to place your fingers.

woodbury22uk

After reading a suggestion elsewhere from Only Me I have been using Swarfega for degreasing all manner of things prior to painting. Found it particularly good for removing any residues from 3D printed items.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations