Looking for plumbing advice...

Started by emjaybee, May 18, 2022, 08:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Separate to the issue of the bung, but if you extend the pipe downwards into the drain, won't the syphon effect improve the flow? (Assuming the water level in the drain itself is low enough)

Tank

Quote from: Papyrus on May 19, 2022, 06:26:01 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 19, 2022, 10:09:59 AM
I don't know how good your DIY skills are, but save yourself the hassle of having to keep cleaning the pipe, and replace the whole lot with plastic 40mm pipes.

Going slightly off topic here. our washbasin drains slowly and requires a weekly application of a plunger. Part of the pipe is the old original cast-iron of 1965. Are you saying if I replace that bit with plastic, the waste will run freely?

Cheers,

Chris

What I meant was to replace the whole lot, and make sure it has a proper gradient to run out of the bathroom.  It seems crazy to me to have to clear it so often.  Though, if the pipes are buried in a solid floor it's a bigger job.

For yourself Chris, I'd say the same thing.  Make sure that the gradient is correct, but also that the trap is clear of dirt/debris.  Plunging won't be enough to clear it entirely, so dirt will soon block the small hole that was made.  Having worked in the largest school in Croydon, with over 100 sinks, I've had plenty of practice!   :sick: ;D

emjaybee

Quote from: Yet_Another on May 19, 2022, 07:11:17 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on May 19, 2022, 01:15:51 PM
That, Sir, is quite a possibility. I think trying to fathom out what thread/size the T fitting is the main thing. Being brought up on metrickery my knowledge of imperial pipe threads is limited at its very best. But it may have been what I'm overlooking in this situation.
Disclaimer: I am but an interested bystander: but just to chuck another variable into the 'is it the right bung' question, could one or the other part be BSPT rather than BSP?

https://www.ondemandsupplies.co.uk/plumbing-blog-on-demand-supplies/what-is-the-difference-between-bsp-and-bspt-thread/

If one part is tapered and the other isn't, it might explain why they don't mate very well.

On reflection, I'm pretty sure the 'plug' is tapered, and the 'T' is parallel. I'm also pretty sure on reflection that it quite possibly was not the original bung.

Quote from: zwilnik on May 20, 2022, 12:10:31 AM
Separate to the issue of the bung, but if you extend the pipe downwards into the drain, won't the syphon effect improve the flow? (Assuming the water level in the drain itself is low enough)

I have a feeling that might be against building regs, not that I'm a stickler for them, but it's also not possible in this situation. Interesting prospect mind.

Quote from: acook on May 19, 2022, 07:22:57 PM
Get calipers or similar on the pipe coming out of the tee, and then use the table here

https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/bsp-pipe-threads

The bung you have may be parallel and the tee tapered, or the inverse.
For a BSP thread you should have 11 threads an inch.
If not put all the measurements here and we'll see what we can come up with.
I am assuming unscrewing the tee is a non-starter..........

Alan

I shall try to establish what thread size the 'T' is and take it from there.

If I was thinking of trying to remove the 'T' I reckon it'd be a better bet to just rip the whole shebang out try and start over.

Thank you everyone. I stand by my earlier comment that none of these are bad ideas. I suspect there's been some modification/evolution of this pipe entry over the decades.
It's going to take me a while to deal with this as it's all a bit manic at the moment, but when I've got a solution I'll post back on here and let you know how it went.

Thanks again to everyone for saving my bedraggled sanity.

:thankyousign:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34