Laurel & Hardy

Started by Philip., January 12, 2019, 08:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip.

Went to the cinema last night to watch the Stan & Ollie film, I normally give biopics a wide berth, as for me they tend to be too sensationalised for my liking. As a fan of over 50 years I went with some trepidation, they wouldn't ruin a film about Stan and Ollie by making rubbish up to sell the film would they?

I needn't have worried, it was a joy from beginning to end, it will have you laughing, you'll even find you have something in your eye at times, it's just a gentle affectionate tribute to two comedy legends.

Steve Coogan and John C Reilly are superb, aided by Jeff Popes excellent screenplay. The jokes are all there and the routines are lovingly recreated. The way their careers ended was changed slightly and that was my only beef with the film A special mention also to the two ladies who played Stan and Ollies wives, they were brilliant and you got two double acts for the price of one.

If you're a fan go see it, you wont be disappointed, even if you're not a fan, see it, you may be after.

9/10 from me

Newportnobby

From the snippets I've seen on the telly it does look very good, with excellent portrayals by Steve Coogan and John C Reilly. Watched the 'Film Review' on BBC Breakfast this morning and Mark Kermode gave it a very good review

G_N_E_R

I fully second my namesake's review. I loved the film from start to finish and it was a real joy to watch with some excellent one liners!
Go forth and watch it!
Philip

Richard G Dallimore

Went with a meetup group to watch this in Manchester yesterday and was overwhelmed by the quality of the character acting on show on this film. Sat in the pub afterwards discussing the film we all agreed that the lead men and women were brilliant and completely owned the characters, it was very hard to believe it was Steve Coogan just brilliant.

Got a little chocked up towards the end, but it was a very funny and entertaining film.

9.5/10

.5 down due to wrong use of carriages for railway scenes, choc and cream when meant to be in Scotland and North East.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP